DVD RAM not working.

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Geemonster

DVD RAM not working.

#1 Post by Geemonster »

I've had problems with this before,it would read the disc and do nothing.
I went to device manager uninstalled it,switched off PC for min,switch on and it would be ok.
It's a GSA-4163B.
I know Windows is inherrently unstable,perhaps that's the problem.
Was wondering if anyone has had similar problems?

Geemonster

#2 Post by Geemonster »

Obviously not then!
Well i put my housemates drive into my kit and it works perfectly,so there's obviously a faulty component in the drive.
Would of been nice if even 1 person answered my post.
Whatever happened to manners?

Queue

#3 Post by Queue »

Optical drives in general can suck out on you. They rely on a precision spinning drive, focusing lens and other minor parts. There are a lot of mechanical systems that can fail on you. Then you have to take into account they're mass produced with limited regard to quality control because they're just not that critical of a component and can often be easily replaced.

Windows isn't inherently unstable, hardware with moving parts is inherently prone to wearing out and/or breaking. Software is all we can really rely on to be consistent.

Queue

appsuser

#4 Post by appsuser »

Geemonster wrote:Obviously not then!
Well i put my housemates drive into my kit and it works perfectly,so there's obviously a faulty component in the drive.
Would of been nice if even 1 person answered my post.
Whatever happened to manners?
You might want to think about what you're doing before starting to insult others...you posted a technical hardware question in the forums for a portable free software site. This is what's known as an inappropriate post. You'll get a lot more responses posting this type of question in a more appropriate site forum (the forums of a site discussing technical hardware or hardware drivers problems). I'm sure you'd have had many responses if your question was about a problem with a portable app.

Make certain you have the latest drivers for your operating system and drive. Check the Microsoft support site to see if this is a known problem. "Google" your problem to see if someone else has found a fix. Buy a new one.

(Edit: Too many people are afraid to call the device manufacturer. I guess it depends on the company...but the times I've done so I've found them to be extremely knowledgeable and supportive.)

Geemonster

#5 Post by Geemonster »

I've insulted no one manners just seem to be in short supply these days.
As it happens it was the firmware update,it seemed to be confusing the drive,it seemed to lock up.
Thanks anyway. :)

Ameri-CAIN

#6 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

Geemonster Said:
manners just seem to be in short supply these days
:lol: I think Geemonster was referring to himself! :lol:

Appsuser made a very good point Geemonster.

Appsuser Said:
You might want to think about what you're doing before starting to insult others...you posted a technical hardware question in the forums for a portable free software site. This is what's known as an inappropriate post.
My question to you Geemonster... Would you go to the hardware store and ask them why it stings when you pee?

Geemonster

#7 Post by Geemonster »

I can see you've all got a clique thing going on here.
I certainly won't react to nonsensical questions like that either.
Who have i insulted? no one it was a statement any intelligent person would of picked up on that.
I see brains are in short supply too! :)

sleepydvdr

#8 Post by sleepydvdr »

Not to sound rude or anythng, but this is a hardware question. At first I didn't understand the question because I was thinking along the lines of "my portable app cannot access the DVD drive", which is a problem I have encountered. Personally, I think you should ask hardware questions on hardware forums. And I'm not trying to be offensive and I'm not in any clique.

BTW, you can get DVD writers at newegg.com for as low as $25. If your friend's works, then it probably is your drive.