TPFC and Opera are fighting!

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Fluffy

#16 Post by Fluffy »

LMAO Fire-Op-Afi! Very nice! :D

Simon.T

#17 Post by Simon.T »

thibeaz wrote:
Fluffy wrote:You know, I don't really think I need to say anything to that. Due to the over-zealous response to my post it's clear that even if I did say something it would simply fall on deaf ears. Have fun with your red lizard religion.
Yeah I meant mine to be a joke, Simon here took it a little to far, Sorry fluffy, I guess I started a brush fire and now it's time to put it out, we each have our likes and dislikes.
Thanks thibeaz :) I know it was ;)

joke1 :: click :: funny
joke2 :: click :: np
joke3 :: click :: o.K.

but...
Fluffy wrote:BTW to the Firefox fans: Firefox still has plenty of unpatched vulnerabilities while Opera has zero. Firefox and Opera take up roughly the same amount of RAM yet Opera still has far more features available - many of which are emulated (often poorly) by Firefox extensions. Opera also happens to be far more responsive than Firefox and even supports torrent downloading out of the box. Finally, it boasts the absolute fastest rendering engine of any available browser. Source.
WTF?!! why he is taking this to a new level????
As a TPFC moderator I'm expecting for a way mature politeness

Q: You want to prove this point or other?
A: ok, but please do it in an appropriate way, submit a new topic about it... though you can fight but don't disperse this argument, as it is possible, to every section at the forum
seriously... wtf?!!

Btw, trust me, I know what ARE the disadvantages of FF comparing to Opera, as a browser, but it is NOT just "a web browser"

Thanks thibeaz :D

Andrew Lee

#18 Post by Andrew Lee »

Works fine now Andrew though I'm quite curious as to why the text ads were causing problems. I've visited plenty of other sites with similar ads with no issues. It seems all of the ads are gone now (including banners) - are you sure it's all right with your advertisers for that to happen? Granted, Opera users make up a very small piece of the pie but it still could cause problems with them.
Fluffy, I agree this is a quick-and-dirty fix.

I did a quick check, and apparently Kontera has this problem with Opera, while its competitor (can't recall the name at this moment) does not.

Google for "kontera" and "opera" and you will see what I mean.

When I have time, I need to dig deeper and see if anyone has figured out a workaround for this problem.

Local

#19 Post by Local »

I guess this is too late and probably not much help but I just remembered..
A while ago I had a similar poblem on a couple of pages using firefox.

The problem I found with that was the font I was using.
A quick change of font for my browser and everything dropped back into place.

I don't use Opera much so don't know if you can change the font, it's an idea though

Fluffy

#20 Post by Fluffy »

Local wrote:I guess this is too late and probably not much help but I just remembered..
A while ago I had a similar poblem on a couple of pages using firefox.

The problem I found with that was the font I was using.
A quick change of font for my browser and everything dropped back into place.

I don't use Opera much so don't know if you can change the font, it's an idea though
You definitely can, I'll have to check that out in the future if I get the problem again. Thanks for the info!

Andrew: That's unfortunate - hopefully they'll cook a fix up for Opera in the near future. Is it possible to reactivate the Google ads independently of Kontera's system or are they intertwined? As it is I'm getting no ads whatsoever but I really didn't mind the Google ads and at least that way you're partially delivering the advertisements.

Andrew Lee

#21 Post by Andrew Lee »

Andrew: That's unfortunate - hopefully they'll cook a fix up for Opera in the near future. Is it possible to reactivate the Google ads independently of Kontera's system or are they intertwined? As it is I'm getting no ads whatsoever but I really didn't mind the Google ads and at least that way you're partially delivering the advertisements.
Fluffy, I just checked using OperaUSB again. The Google ads are showing for me. Maybe you accidentally filtered it on your Opera browser? Could someone else using Opera check for us please? Thanks!

Local

#22 Post by Local »

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/17/ ... t00145.jpg

This is using Opera-Portable all standard settings.
Any help?

Ameri-CAIN

#23 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

The Google adds show up when using Opera@USB 9.24.

Fluffy

#24 Post by Fluffy »

I checked and I haven't filtered them out at all - I don't filter Google ads anyways. I'm using Opera@USB 9.25... That's just damn weird.

Andrew Lee

#25 Post by Andrew Lee »

I was using the stock version of OperaUSB V9.23 for testing.

Fluffy, are you saying Google ads are *only* missing on TPFC for you, not other sites? That would be very strange, since I used the Javascript code generated by Google's control panel without any change, as I would assume other webmasters as well.

Fluffy

#26 Post by Fluffy »

HOLY CRAP. I didn't even realize it, but I don't think Google Ads are showing up at all. I smell a conspiracy.

Nevermind, I figured it out. I am an idiot, folks.

Firewrath

#27 Post by Firewrath »

*Cough* :P