TPFC and Opera are fighting!

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Fluffy

TPFC and Opera are fighting!

#1 Post by Fluffy »

I seem to have a problem viewing TPFC under Opera. Actually, it's happened for as long as I can remember, but I figured I'd see if it was an isolated case with me or if anyone else was experiencing it. It draws just fine until your mouse hits one of the text ads. Suddenly the font jumps and causes an irritating snarl as all of the text is mashed together.

Example:

Anybody else having this problem? (I've already tested with Firefox and there's no problem, but that's not nearly enough reason for me to go back to that pile.)

Zach Thibeau

hmmm

#2 Post by Zach Thibeau »

guess it goes to show that Firefox is better than IE and Opera :P

Fluffy

Re: hmmm

#3 Post by Fluffy »

thibeaz wrote:guess it goes to show that Firefox is better than IE and Opera :P
I won't argue on the IE front, but Firefox can't hold a candle to Opera. Never could, never will. But this thread isn't really about that. :P

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

i use opera (both 9.1 and the new 9.5 beta)... but i don't see the text ads because mostly all the ads are blocked with the HOSTS file i use (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)... so i don't encounter the problem you have.

though you could try pressing CTRL+ F11... see what happens... also what version of opera are you using?

Nh

#5 Post by Nh »

I have the same font problem but I think that is because something is wrong with TPFC itself (on other sites text ads behave normal - no matter what browser I'm using) and it doesn't mean that "Firefox is better than IE and Opera" as thibeaz wrote.

Fluffy

#6 Post by Fluffy »

9.25 and I agree with the isolated problem theory. There are other sites that use these ads and I don't encounter the same behavior with them.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Fluffy, I have disable the text ads for Opera browsers.

Let me know if works for you. I tested it with OperaUSB.

Zach Thibeau

#8 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Fluffy wrote:
I won't argue on the IE front, but Firefox can't hold a candle to Opera. Never could, never will. But this thread isn't really about that. :P
Sorry but Firefox Pwns all and yes your right this thread isn't about that, But face it I'm right your wrong :P (just kidding)

Simon.T

#9 Post by Simon.T »

thibeaz wrote:
Fluffy wrote:
Sorry but Firefox Pwns all and yes your right this thread isn't about that, But face it I'm right your wrong :P (just kidding)
Word up! :wink:

Fluffy

#10 Post by Fluffy »

Works fine now Andrew though I'm quite curious as to why the text ads were causing problems. I've visited plenty of other sites with similar ads with no issues. It seems all of the ads are gone now (including banners) - are you sure it's all right with your advertisers for that to happen? Granted, Opera users make up a very small piece of the pie but it still could cause problems with them.

BTW to the Firefox fans: Firefox still has plenty of unpatched vulnerabilities while Opera has zero. Firefox and Opera take up roughly the same amount of RAM yet Opera still has far more features available - many of which are emulated (often poorly) by Firefox extensions. Opera also happens to be far more responsive than Firefox and even supports torrent downloading out of the box. Finally, it boasts the absolute fastest rendering engine of any available browser. Source.

Simon.T

#11 Post by Simon.T »

Fluffy wrote:Works fine now Andrew though I'm quite curious as to why the text ads were causing problems. I've visited plenty of other sites with similar ads with no issues. It seems all of the ads are gone now (including banners) - are you sure it's all right with your advertisers for that to happen? Granted, Opera users make up a very small piece of the pie but it still could cause problems with them.

BTW to the Firefox fans: Firefox still has plenty of unpatched vulnerabilities while Opera has zero. Firefox and Opera take up roughly the same amount of RAM yet Opera still has far more features available - many of which are emulated (often poorly) by Firefox extensions. Opera also happens to be far more responsive than Firefox and even supports torrent downloading out of the box. Finally, it boasts the absolute fastest rendering engine of any available browser. Source.
Fluffy! this is just too annoying!!

Opera user wouldn't have all those features, enhancements etc. as we know'em today without Mozilla!! [...contest...]

So go now to Mozilla (email to'em or something) and say thanks for their donation to you, and specifically to Firefox users

Say thank for bringing out the world consciousness the GNU/GPL (in the best way - with Firefox)

Linux, User's Freedom, Pidgin, Miranda-IM and many more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Now, please stop it, cause YOU started it! (very childish - I'll stop if you will stop that as well as I'll)

This is SOOOO pointless. - and stupid! - is this a fight or a freakin' joke - wtf?!!

here you can see the new version of GPL (gplv3) (AND FIREFOX IS NOT A BROWSER TO ME - IT IS MORE THAN THAT! - so there is NOTHING to compare!!!)

and, please, do yourself a favor and see this video (very important) [I'm talking about your (Fluffy) freedom and all the people in the world

http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/richar ... _video.ogg (133MB)
http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/

Jesus :!: :!: :!:

Btw, who can agree with me?

Fluffy

#12 Post by Fluffy »

You know, I don't really think I need to say anything to that. Due to the over-zealous response to my post it's clear that even if I did say something it would simply fall on deaf ears. Have fun with your red lizard religion.

Anyhow, thanks again for the quick fix Andrew - hopefully soon a more suitable fix can be implemented. :)

Simon.T

#13 Post by Simon.T »

"...red lizard religion..." :?: :?: W H A T - E V E R ...

Go and learn something new

3 Browsers, One Enemy <<< click here!

(I know you did not read that, cause if you did, than... you wouldn't post this kind of comments)

Anyway, I insist, Opera, and the web, wouldn't be as they are today without Mozilla! :D

Zach Thibeau

#14 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Fluffy wrote:You know, I don't really think I need to say anything to that. Due to the over-zealous response to my post it's clear that even if I did say something it would simply fall on deaf ears. Have fun with your red lizard religion.
Yeah I meant mine to be a joke, Simon here took it a little to far, Sorry fluffy, I guess I started a brush fire and now it's time to put it out, we each have our likes and dislikes.

Local

#15 Post by Local »

I use firefox now but for a long time I refused to even try it because of extremely overzealous users.
Every site I used to go on had these kind of arguments (No humour in them though) I admit that firefox is good, what have they done to start this religious following though?
I think I'm missing out on something.

Still nevermind..... Long live IE... I meanFire-Op-Afi