Windows 10 Snipping Tool (PStart)

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
JohnW

Windows 10 Snipping Tool (PStart)

#1 Post by JohnW »

In the absence of anyone else, I'm hoping I might get some help from TPFC on a strange problem. I have just started using a new laptop running Windows 10. I copied a number of portables across and created a menu using PStart. I then decided to add a few Windows Accessories ( eg Notepad). No problems so far!
I then tried to add Snipping Tool. File Manager shows it to be in the System32 folder (Snipping Tool.exe). Yet when I browse for it in PStart it doesn't appear. Any ideas why this should happen?
BTW Same problem in ASuite.

PS Don't suggest alternatives to the tool - just like to know why!

Midas

Re: Windows 10 Snipping Tool (PStart)

#2 Post by Midas »

I'm guessing 'Snipping Tool.exe' is symbolic linked and PStart is too old to be able to see it... You could search for it elsewhere on your filesystem to find the real instance. YMMV.

On second thought, it may also be a bitness issue...

SYSTEM

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

Like Midas said, I think it's a bitness issue.

You use 64-bit Windows 10, right?

PStart is a 32-bit program, and therefore when it tries to access System32, Windows redirects it to SysWOW64. And apparently 32-bit Snipping Tool doesn't ship on 64-bit Windows. Therefore there is SnippingTool.exe in System32, but not in SysWOW64.

There is a workaround: 32-bit programs can access real System32 as C:\Windows\Sysnative. It doesn't show up in the "Open File" dialog, but it's there.
  1. Browse to C:\Windows.
  2. Type Sysnative to the file name field. Press Enter. The dialog opens the Sysnative directory.
  3. Select SnippingTool.exe or type it.
  4. Enjoy. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

JohnW

#4 Post by JohnW »

@midas and (especially) @SYSTEM

Your answers did not seem plausible but...
WHAT DO I KNOW!!! Worked a treat.
So thanks very much guys