Gunner File Type Editor with PNG, JPEG, and JPG files

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
JohnTravolski

Re: Gunner File Type Editor with PNG, JPEG, and JPG files

#16 Post by JohnTravolski »

I deleted the "UserChoice" key as you suggested while leaving the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile" area exactly the same as the picture in my previous post. After deleting the "UserChoice" key, opening up a PNG file DID NOT ask me to select a default program; it just continued to use Windows Photo Viewer. After restarting Windows Explorer and the whole computer, the text still reads as "PNG File" even though I've done as you've suggested.

As I said, please remember that I haven't changed FriendlyTypeName to anything different from my previous post.

billon

#17 Post by billon »

That's some mysterious mystery :shock:
Is there somebody with Windows 10 who have "PNG Image" in Explorer? Please export ALL PNG-related registry entries and upload somewhere (or just attach to your post).
JohnTravolski, compare these "correct" values with yours and change accordingly if needed.
Also search just for "png" and check ALL base keys in RegScanner, like this:

joby_toss

#18 Post by joby_toss »

Mine says "PNG File". I didn't follow this topic, no idea what the problem is, sorry...

SYSTEM

#19 Post by SYSTEM »

billon wrote:Is there somebody with Windows 10 who have "PNG Image" in Explorer?
I use Windows 10, and my Explorer says "PNG-tiedosto", which translates to "PNG file".
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

JohnTravolski

#20 Post by JohnTravolski »

I used the RegScanner tool with the exact settings that you showed and here's the file uploaded on Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B47Nv ... U4xVEEzc3c
So these are my "messed up" settings. I'm not sure what needs to be changed to get this to work for Windows 10 with Windows Photo Viewer set at the default image viewer.

3K3

#21 Post by 3K3 »

Import attached reg file into Registry as administrator.
Png-repair.zip
(549 Bytes) Downloaded 1076 times

JohnTravolski

#22 Post by JohnTravolski »

Hey, that worked! May I ask the exact modifications that you made so I know how to do this for myself in the future in case anything goes wrong?

shnbwmn

#23 Post by shnbwmn »

Not really following topic, but just so you know: REG files can be opened with any text editor to see the exact modifications (unless you mean semantically).

Here's the code for 3K3's attachment:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.png]
@="pngfile"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile]
"FriendlyTypeName"="3) PNG Picture"
@=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\pngfile\shell\open\command]
@=hex(2):25,53,79,73,74,65,6d,52,6f,6f,74,25,5c,53,79,73,74,65,6d,33,32,5c,72,\
  75,6e,64,6c,6c,33,32,2e,65,78,65,20,22,25,50,72,6f,67,72,61,6d,46,69,6c,65,\
  73,25,5c,57,69,6e,64,6f,77,73,20,50,68,6f,74,6f,20,56,69,65,77,65,72,5c,50,\
  68,6f,74,6f,56,69,65,77,65,72,2e,64,6c,6c,22,2c,20,49,6d,61,67,65,56,69,65,\
  77,5f,46,75,6c,6c,73,63,72,65,65,6e,20,25,31,00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.png\UserChoice]

JohnTravolski

#24 Post by JohnTravolski »

Yes, I would appreciate a verbal explanation because I'm not entirely sure how to interpret all of that. I don't know what the "@=-" means nor the very last line in the code. I would especially want to know what was done differently from what I did initially when I followed the instructions.

3K3

#25 Post by 3K3 »

JohnTravolski wrote:Hey, that worked! May I ask the exact modifications that you made so I know how to do this for myself in the future in case anything goes wrong?
---
Yes, I would appreciate a verbal explanation because I'm not entirely sure how to interpret all of that. I don't know what the "@=-" means nor the very last line in the code. I would especially want to know what was done differently from what I did initially when I followed the instructions.
Registry file type management
Before you can start to customize you need to know which registry key in "HKCU\Software\Classes" or "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes" (in this order) is set to hold file type properties like file type name, icon, program command to open file type,...
You must look for file type properties registry key in three locations in the below order.
(1) "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.FileExtension\UserChoice" key "ProgId" value. If "ProgId" value is empty or the key specified in this value does not exist in "HKCU\Software\Classes" or "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes" you go to (2) "HKCU\Software\Classes\.FileExtension" key and read "(Default)" value. If this key does not exists or "(Default)" value is empty you go to (3) "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.FileExtension" key and read "(Default)" value.

About my reg file
My reg file repaired connection between referenced keys. The default value in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.png" was empty that's why the generic "PNG File" in Explorer's file type name.
If "FriendlyTypeName" value is specified the default value is ignored. "@=-" removes default value from the root of the key.
Last line deletes "UserChoice" key so the shell focus is set to "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.png" key.