Got a Ransomeware message from DVDStyler

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
jgermann

Got a Ransomeware message from DVDStyler

#1 Post by jgermann »

I recently downloaded DVDStylerportable and installed it.

There was very little information about DVDStyler on your site and I did not find much information in the program's Help file so I went to their website via portablefreeware.com's link.

I did a cut and paste of the information on the site to create an explanation for me to use at some later date when someone asks me if I know of a program that will (fill in the blanks ...) or if I am looking to do something myself.
You will notice that at the bottom of the section names "Features", there is a line that says "See Documents for more information" where "Documents" is a link to
http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/documents

I had hoped to find further documentation, FAQs , examples, so I followed that link.

However, when I did I got a popup that said that my computer was infected - or words to that effect - and that I need to call a number to be rescued (or words to that effect).
I immediately pulled power on my computer and went through several rescue DVDs to see if I had been infected - and it appears that I had not been.

Do not know specifically what to suggest, but I do not think you should put a user in a situation like this.

John

webfork

Re: Got a Ransomeware message from DVDStyler

#2 Post by webfork »

jgermann wrote:Do not know specifically what to suggest, but I do not think you should put a user in a situation like this.
You might look up info on how malware works, including randsomeware. It is far and away more likely this was caused by some other source.

Kudos on keeping good backups.
Last edited by webfork on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: [better wording]

jgermann

#3 Post by jgermann »

@webfork - I agree that it was likely not true ransomware that I encountered. However, that fact that it occurred at all would naturally make the average person very leery of putting trust in portablefreeware.com. I have used the site for so many years now that it was a surprise to me that it happened at all. I know that many of the programs - like those from Nirsoft will be flagged as a "trojan" or a "virus" but I identify them and set them up as exclusions.

If things like this occur, then perhaps a note could be made in the writeup that while the "download" is clean, care should be taken when visiting the site.

John

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Is malware selective? 'Cause I get no pop-up when visiting that link...

jgermann

#5 Post by jgermann »

joby_toss, thanks for checking that. Using Sandboxie, I just followed what I thought I did last Saturday and did not have a problem. So - my fault likely. I do not know what I did that I thought was associated with DVDStyler - but since I can not reproduce what happened, I can not place any blame of them.

John

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

There is an ad in the DVDStyler website. The ransomware message you got might be a malicious ad. You can run into those anywhere, I'm afraid.

(Sigh. An ad blocker is today needed for security.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tactictoe

#7 Post by tactictoe »

SYSTEM wrote:There is an ad in the DVDStyler website. The ransomware message you got might be a malicious ad. You can run into those anywhere, I'm afraid.

(Sigh. An ad blocker is today needed for security.)
Agreed.
I use Mozilla Firefox and an add on called adblock plus (exist for Google Chrome and android too) just to avoid this kind of situation and more.

add on for Mozilla Firefox: https://adblockplus.org/
add on for Google Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cddilifddb

Unfortunately, one cannot rely on anti-virus. They trigger the alert, but some time it is too late or just plain scary.

I will add to System post: clean the cache of your browser very often. Ccleaner is good at it: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?q=Ccleaner&m=