You may also ... that is optimized for USB memory sticks.

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
Simon.T

You may also ... that is optimized for USB memory sticks.

#1 Post by Simon.T »

VLC: You may also like to check out VLC Media Player Portable for a portable package of VLC that is optimized for USB memory sticks.

Maybe you now need to change it to "integrates it into the PortableApps Menu" (or add it)

And, btw, what do you mean by "optimized" :?:

freakazoid

#2 Post by freakazoid »

by "optimized", john haller means he has compressed the EXEs and DLLs with UPX... this provides for a slightly, smaller file size.
http://portableapps.com/support/vlc_por ... ifications

of course, we can all do this ourselves with UPXTool+, but it's there for people who need it!
is it stealth? ;)

m^(2)

#3 Post by m^(2) »

freakazoid wrote:by "optimized", john haller means he has compressed the EXEs and DLLs with UPX... this provides for a slightly, smaller file size.
http://portableapps.com/support/vlc_por ... ifications

of course, we can all do this ourselves with UPXTool+, but it's there for people who need it!
I see co connection between upxing executables and use on USB memory sticks. :roll:

WhoCares

#4 Post by WhoCares »

@m^(2)
each compressed Executable File (PE) is faster as the raw one.

1. Faster in the RAM
and
2. smaller on the disk.

Well, you will not gain more with double compression, like UPXing and thinstall something just for example, because in many case the pack will grow and so I recommend avoid a recompression of already compressed stuff, but take advantages, if there some. I think you forget that its possible to unpack a upx once again and the AV can scan through them, to be sure your supply is clean.

So, if you don't use virtual creation apps,
PE (dll,ocx) compression is the best what you can do.

m^(2)

#5 Post by m^(2) »

WhoCares wrote:@m^(2)
each compressed Executable File (PE) is faster as the raw one.

1. Faster in the RAM
and
2. smaller on the disk.
1. Nope. Extremely rare executables in extremely rare conditions can run faster. I highly doubt you've ever seen this.
2. You're mostly right, but not "each".
I've seen (small) executables in PA.com apps which take exactly the same space when compressed and uncompressed. PA.com had them compressed, which means slower startup. Speed of upx decompression is very high and with small files shouldn't be important (even if app loads several of them at the time, IIRC Open Office.org does), but some antiviruses work very slowly with upxed ones. No gain, just loss. Once I posted info about this problem, but they ignored it.
WhoCares wrote:Well, you will not gain more with double compression, like UPXing and thinstall something just for example, because in many case the pack will grow and so I recommend avoid a recompression of already compressed stuff, but take advantages, if there some. I think you forget that its possible to unpack a upx once again and the AV can scan through them, to be sure your supply is clean.

So, if you don't use virtual creation apps,
PE (dll,ocx) compression is the best what you can do.
Actually I have almost all my apps compressed. And this is optimization that's meant not only for USB sticks, but also hdd. I agree that pendrives need it more, but calling app "optimized for USB memory sticks" when you did nothing but upxed it is nothing but marketing BS IMO.

BTW, I do recommend recompression, but only if you decompress .exe first.
1. You can often reduce size
2. You can rip .exe resources that you don't need (and gain more size)
3. Change from exotic compressor to upx can result faster AV scanning, nowadays upx rarely causes any problems.
But doing it will all software you use costs a lot of time... :(