Caution: Bat to Exe Converter - trojan found

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
jimtech

Caution: Bat to Exe Converter - trojan found

#1 Post by jimtech »

The portable version of this app installs a trojan. Upon using the app the first time it worked fine with no anomalies. But on using it a second time it installed a trojan, trojan:win32/bagsu!rfn in the \user\AppData\Local\Temp\ directory. It was caught by my virus scanner and quarantined. This was verified by running the online virus apps at Jotti.org and virustotal.com. See attachments for my results.

I contacted the software vendor directly and this is the response I got:

"No one will spread trojans or viruses on his official website. To resolve this issue please contact your antivirus vendor instead." This is how they take responsibility? Wow!

Hope this was helpful.
Attachments
Vendor response
Vendor response
2015-09-14_1001_001.png
2015-09-14_1001.png

webfork

Re: Caution: Bat to Exe Converter - trojan found

#2 Post by webfork »

So this comes up a lot so I thought I'd compile a few things to address it more broadly:

First and foremost don't feel compelled to use anything you don't feel comfortable with. As to encouraging others not to, you might want to consider the following:
Ultimately the rationale for keeping this entry up goes like this: anti-virus companies know you're buying their software to prevent anything bad from happening. If they're not sure about a particular file, they'll list it as bad just to be extra careful. In this particular case, companies are listing this program negatively because a BAT to EXE converter is very easy to exploit and do bad things to someone's computer.

I can get into some of the details on why I consider this particular file safe if anyone's interested.

Here's the application in question: Bat to Exe Converter and it's VirusTotal analysis: http://www.virustotal.com/latest-report ... 204d66ef43

joby_toss

Re: Caution: Bat to Exe Converter - trojan found

#3 Post by joby_toss »

This app is safe, yes. Some AV are just tricked by this app's behavior; it's not usual for an app to take a .bat file or other script and turn it into an executable. But anyone really needing this app already knows this...