MPUI codec problems [solved]

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
theboydanny

MPUI codec problems [solved]

#1 Post by theboydanny »

SOLVED
The latest version of MPlayer for Windows packed with MPUI (which can be found here: http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home/?p ... ts#mplayer) comes with pthreadGC2.dll which solved the codecs problem described below. It wasn't packed with the previous version of MPlayer and MPUI and Andrew Lee also doesn't list it (see post below). All in all I think I was in between versions or something... Anyway everything is working as it's supposed to.
----------
A little update to the message above. I've just discovered that this is NOT the official release of MPUI. I read through most part of the forum and this post adressed my problem.
----------

Hi all,

Maybe somebody can help me out with this.
I'm having a little problem with MPUI. I needed a player that could play .ram RealPlayer files since VLC couldn't. So I got MPUI, it had the best reviews here AND it is a lot smaller than some of the other front-ends.
So I've dloaded MPUI and then got the latest version of mplayer (1.1.10) at the official website. Then I also dloaded their binary codecs.
Replaced the mplayer.exe with the latest version and put all the codecs in the codecs-subdirectory, the default location to put them. Then I opened a .ram file with MPUI which played fine but without sound. Also starting mplayer from the commandline results in no sound. When I put the codecs in the same dir as MPUI.exe and mplayer.exe, I do have sound, but a messy-looking MPUI root-dir... The original mplayer that came with MPUI (version 0.9) also doesn't play the sound. Seems that mplayer can't find the default codec-dir for some reason.
I've looked for a solution, but after a hour or so of reading the man_page and online DOCS my brain is starting to spin... soooo many options...
Did anybody experience the same problem as I have? I really like MPUI and I can make it work with sound, but the MPUI-dir looks messy which I hate. So it's cosmetic in a way, but still, it's also odd behaviour.
Anyway, if somebody knows a solution, it would be much appreciated! In the meantime I'm gonna stick with my messy MPUI-dir.
Last edited by theboydanny on Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

First thing is to keep in mind that mplayer doesn't handle all RM files. Sometimes I get files with no sound, or sound missing halfway through that I have to revert back to Media Player Classic with Real Alternative codec.

Next thing is, how does your MPUI folder look like? Mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

codecs\
drivers\
mplayer\
authors
ChangeLog
Copyright
license
mencoder.exe
mplayer.exe
MPUI.exe
man_page.html
autorun.inf
MPUI.ini
Changelog.txt
License.txt
Readme.txt

theboydanny

#3 Post by theboydanny »

Thanks for the quick reply, Andrew, and for your help. Heck, thanks for this great site!

I didn't know that about the RM-files, good to know. But in this case I can play the file with no problem. Provided the codecs are not in their default folder...
And as for the folder contents, I only seemed to be missing the MPUI.ini.
Well I figured I'd do a save on my settings and there it appeared. Easy enough lol. But still no sound.
mplayer output shows it's searchin' for the codecs and the filenames correspond with those in the codecs folder. But mplayer isn't looking there, it seems it looks in the folder it resides in...
There's an option to pass a commandline parameter to mplayer, but the man_pages have worn me down for now. Damn it has a lot of options! Besides, I don't think I should be looking there for a solution.
Apart from this little codec-annoyance, I'm really liking mplayer and MPUI is a nice front-end.

__philippe

Alternative player for *.RAM audio files

#4 Post by __philippe »

theboydanny wrote:...I'm having a little problem with MPUI. I needed a player that could play .ram RealPlayer files since VLC couldn't...
A mere ten years later : (and counting...) :roll:

Cheap alternative to RealPlayer for listening to *.RAM audio files : FFplay

Free tool (part of the FFmpeg suite) that will play like a charm those ancient audio *.RAM files
you just rediscovered hibernating deep down a dusty Win XP directory... :wink:

Damien74

Re:

#5 Post by Damien74 »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 am First thing is to keep in mind that mplayer doesn't handle all RM files. Sometimes I get files with no sound, or sound missing halfway through that I have to revert back to Media Player Classic with Real Alternative codec.

Next thing is, how does your MPUI folder look like? Mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

codecs\
drivers\
mplayer\
authors
ChangeLog
Copyright
license
mencoder.exe
mplayer.exe
MPUI.exe
man_page.html
autorun.inf
MPUI.ini
Changelog.txt
License.txt
Readme.txt
Thanks a lot
Last edited by Midas on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Expunged extraneous unrelated link.