How do u use pimmy or nPOP?

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
nycjv321

How do u use pimmy or nPOP?

#1 Post by nycjv321 »

Yes i know n00b question but i dont know how to use it for my yahoo and gmail accounts. or at all matter o fact lol so could someone help me out?

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

I don't think Yahoo or Gmail allow POP3 access (the standard email protocol) unless you pay for it.

POP3 is the main protocol that most email clients like Pimmy and nPOP use. These and other email clients cannot connect to webmail based accounts (unless special plugins are used, if they exist). As far as I know Pimmy and nPOP do not have any such plugins. I haven't looked at these two email clients in a while so I could be wrong.

justin

Gmail

#3 Post by justin »

Gmail does allow it. You have to enable it in settings though.

TPFC Fan

#4 Post by TPFC Fan »

Yahoo works too,but if you enable pop and forwarding you have to accept a few commercials(spam). I get something like 3 spam mail per week.
Settings for nPOP are:
Account->Add
POP3
Account name:yourname
POP3 server :pop.mail.yahoo.com (or for example ".de")
Port :110
Username :yourname
PW : ******

SMTP
Name: :yourname
Mail address :yourname@yahoo.com
SMTP server :smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Port :25

check "Enable SMTP-AUTH"

works for me,
good luck :)

nycjv321

#5 Post by nycjv321 »

Thx. Still havent gottin it to work but I'll keep trying

cmmehl

Re: Gmail

#6 Post by cmmehl »

justin wrote:Gmail does allow it. You have to enable it in settings though.
Afaik Gmail does POP exclusively with SSL, even if it is enabled.

So either you have to use a separate prog to achieve this (saw something like that once somewhere, don't remember where) or you can use IScribe (mentioned here), where it is inbuilt with a plugin. However, the free version of Scribe only allows for one account, if you have more than one account, you could use the commercial version InScribe (costs a few bucks, though, but I like that prog).

Cheers
Chris

nycjv321

#7 Post by nycjv321 »

thx

henrik

#8 Post by henrik »

I have used nPop to check my gmail account. You have to make sure that you have downloaded npopssl.dll and libeay32.dll from the same site you downloaded nPop from.

In the settings you must also tick the checkbox Enable SSL and all the correct settings. I think that you also in you gmail account must enable pop if it isn't enabled by default. Also IMPORTANT, gmail has by default the setting to delete the gmail copy of the mails that has been popped. This is changed on the same page where you enable popping.

English support site with own developement