Portable (?) freeware web server

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
greengoblin

Portable (?) freeware web server

#1 Post by greengoblin »

I found this this new freeware web server called purplenova at shellcity.net... The company says it works off any windows machine. I installed it on a WinXP machine, and then moved the installed folders to my flash drive.

It allowed me to login again and host stuff, but the old links were broken. Now when I moved the folder back to the XP machine, the old links were restored, but now the new links i created on my flash drive were broken... so although the server itself is portable, there seems to be some other system of managing links.... Any one figure out why this happens? :?

Firewrath

#2 Post by Firewrath »

Well, not having DLed the thing or really even looked at it, :P

offhand id say its not using 'independent' directorys,
(idc, they call it something, cant remember right now,)

Anyways, it means it places the files as:
"C:\webserver\index.html"

and Not:
<program directory>".\websrver\index.html"

IE:
its looking in a fixed directory,

Darkbee

#3 Post by Darkbee »

..."absolute" versus "relative", with absolute defining the exact location down to specifying the drive letter, versus relative which specifies the path to the relevent resource/file in relation to the current directory (see Firewrath's examples above).

Harmonic

#4 Post by Harmonic »

I've tested this one a little, so far it's a neat interface. Found no issues so far.

calm_observer

#5 Post by calm_observer »

Darkbee wrote:..."absolute" versus "relative"...
yes, and you may also be able to use environmental variables.

Ehtyar

#6 Post by Ehtyar »

You can find a portable version of XAMPP (apache, mysql, php, perl etc) here. It can also be made portable by hand fairly easily.

Ehtyar.

calm_observer

#7 Post by calm_observer »

i'm interested in using a small server ~ doesn't have to be portable since i can't move my ip connection ~ any recommendations? has anyone used either of these BRS WebWeaver or KF Web Server?

BTW i found this on the web about Purplenova;
There are plenty of sites that accomplish the same objective without requiring special software on the sender's side (and requiring the sender's PC to be left on and connected to the Internet at the time the recipients retrieve files). While Purplenova may seem to be more secure/private, you still have to trust their word which isn't much different than the word of the other sites.

Purplenova is ad-supported, so both the sender and recipients are subjected to ads but that's not unusual. for more...

calm_observer

#8 Post by calm_observer »

i just found a commandline server that is small, supports cgi scripts, dead simple to use and portable. you can also get a gui to configure it, but it is not portable. if anyone is interested i wrote some autoit scripts to configure it.

Kimero

#9 Post by Kimero »

Another posibility

abyss:
http://www.aprelium.com/?v=X1&iv=2.4.0. ... win&lng=en
setup is 340kb

portackager

#10 Post by portackager »

Abyss is a great webserver, configured from the web browser e.g. firefox portable, it doesn't use relative path so you'll need to adjust them in abyss.conf, e.g. to get abyss to run anywhere change the the root section to a single period.

Code: Select all

<server>
	<parameters>
		<root>
		</root>

Also don't forget to see this section: http://portablefreeware.com/?c=2&sc=125

scamme

#11 Post by scamme »

I use usb webserver (it is in the database by the way) for more than a year now, it is the smallest one i ever used [15-18mb] unpacked and absolutely portable - no broken links or paths + you don't have to setup a thing, ready to use right out of the .zip file.

Kimero

#12 Post by Kimero »

another small one

Cherokee web server
http://www.cherokee-project.com/

Midas

Re: Portable(?) freeware web server

#13 Post by Midas »

Very old topic update: found two additional entries for this topic...
  • Hiawatha multi-platform "secure, lightweight web server" v9.6 (not dependent on OpenSSL since January, 2012; untested, see below)
    http://www.hiawatha-webserver.org/
    [url]http://www.hiawatha-webserver.org/download[/url] author wrote:Hiawatha was designed for Unix. The fact that a Windows package is available, is because it was so easy to build it with Cygwin. I've never fully tested the impact that Cygwin or Windows has on Hiawatha, so don't use the Windows version for production websites unless you've tested it yourself. Interesting to know is that I've had several e-mails from users who stated that the Windows version of Hiawatha works very well. Nevertheless, use at your own risk!