ChateX - client-server all in one chat program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

ChateX - client-server all in one chat program

#1 Post by I am Baas »

ChateX is a new client-server all in one chat program.
http://chatex.zxq.net/index.php?page=chatex

Download @ http://chatex.zxq.net/programs/ChateX%201.18.zip
Last edited by I am Baas on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

webfork

Re: ChateX 1.18

#2 Post by webfork »

I wasn't able to find another chat server software on the site, save for Fomine and EasyChat, which are technically serverless and require you to be on the same LAN. Especially one that allows for large file transfer. Good find.

Emka

Re: ChateX 1.18

#3 Post by Emka »

ChateX ist at 1.2 now.

New in 1.2:
Fixed a bug in the file transfer when resuming large files and some other small fixes
Statuses now show on the private chat window titlebar except "Available"
Banning now works by range too. Example: "192.168.*"
Added time left to the file transfer window titlebar
New in 1.19:
Some more bug fixes
Added /status and /help commands
Added Delete menu for textboxes
Files can be now dragged and dropped on the whole private chat window

webfork

Re: ChateX

#4 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: the main site appears to be offline ... http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/C ... ateX.shtml

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:Old thread update: the main site appears to be offline ... http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/C ... ateX.shtml
The developer; Catalin Nz / Catalin Existenz, can be contacted at contact at netlinkd dot com

Old address may still work xtexistenz at gmail dot com

xtexistenz

#6 Post by xtexistenz »

Hey guys, it is a great feeling to find that people were interested in the chat program that I've wrote long time ago.

Sorry about the homepage, I've used free hosting back then. The softpedia link is still good to use but I can build a new page for you guys if needed.

For any questions or anything, feel free to contact me!

Wanted to say thanks for making my day better!
Catalin

smaragdus

#7 Post by smaragdus »

@xtexistenz

Welcome to the forum.

I have never tested ChateX but I will do it whenever I have time. Is the program completely abandoned? And yes, I think that it would be better if ChateX has a new home.

Regards

xtexistenz

#8 Post by xtexistenz »

Hey smaragdus,

Not really abandoned, just that there wasn't anything more to change/fix, plus I thought that everybody is just using Facebook/WhatsApp nowadays, but you can't really transfer large files with those.

Thanks

ozziguy

#9 Post by ozziguy »

Nice app. Does it use any secure protocol or encryption ?

That would be good

smaragdus

#10 Post by smaragdus »

xtexistenz wrote:Hey smaragdus,

Not really abandoned, just that there wasn't anything more to change/fix, plus I thought that everybody is just using Facebook/WhatsApp nowadays, but you can't really transfer large files with those.

Thanks
@xtexistenz

I am one of those who do not trust and will never use neither Facebook, nor anything owned by Facebook like Whatshapp. My own privacy is dear to me and I will never give it away to the evil behemoth Facebook. For the same reason I do not use Skype. For communication I mainly use Isotoxin messenger (it is in the database), which uses the Tox protocol and is currently available only for Windows (there is a an Android Tox client- Antox), and the good old Jabber protocol (there are many clients which support it). I also have Telegram (which has been discussed in the forum) but I am not happy with the direction of the development. I have also tested LINE, which is not portable but like Isotoxin supports audio and video calls, the simple IP-Chat (not portable) and the bare bones Tor-based chat client Ricochet (which is also in the database). For file transfer I have used Orzeszek Transfer (a simple portable tool which has been discussed in the forum), HFS (available in the database), Kangee (not portable), CC File Transfer (not portable, abandoned, still available for download at Softpedia) and my own FTP server. I have also used RetroShare (available in the database) but it seems that people usually do not want to spend some effort to learn how to use such complex and feature-rich tools.

I hope that within a month or two I will find time to test ChateX and I will share my impressions here. If I have suggestions I will also post them in this thread. I am glad that ChateX is not abandoned- for me it is always sad to see promising programs die and in the times of mass surveillance tools like ChateX become even more valuable.

It is nice that Softpedia still hosts ChateX (ChateX & Portable ChateX) but it will be better if ChateX has its own website (the old one can still be viewed at the Internet Archive). Have you ever considered making ChateX open-source?

xtexistenz

#11 Post by xtexistenz »

ozziguy wrote:Nice app. Does it use any secure protocol or encryption ?

That would be good
Unfortunately it doesn't use any right now, this is actually one thing that I wanted to add.

smaragdus wrote:
xtexistenz wrote:Hey smaragdus,

Thanks
@xtexistenz

I am one of those who do not trust and will never use neither Facebook, nor anything owned by Facebook like Whatshapp. My own privacy is dear to me and I will never give it away to the evil behemoth Facebook. For the same reason I do not use Skype. For communication I mainly use Isotoxin messenger (it is in the database), which uses the Tox protocol and is currently available only for Windows (there is a an Android Tox client- Antox), and the good old Jabber protocol (there are many clients which support it). I also have Telegram (which has been discussed in the forum) but I am not happy with the direction of the development. I have also tested LINE, which is not portable but like Isotoxin supports audio and video calls, the simple IP-Chat (not portable) and the bare bones Tor-based chat client Ricochet (which is also in the database). For file transfer I have used Orzeszek Transfer (a simple portable tool which has been discussed in the forum), HFS (available in the database), Kangee (not portable), CC File Transfer (not portable, abandoned, still available for download at Softpedia) and my own FTP server. I have also used RetroShare (available in the database) but it seems that people usually do not want to spend some effort to learn how to use such complex and feature-rich tools.

I hope that within a month or two I will find time to test ChateX and I will share my impressions here. If I have suggestions I will also post them in this thread. I am glad that ChateX is not abandoned- for me it is always sad to see promising programs die and in the times of mass surveillance tools like ChateX become even more valuable.

It is nice that Softpedia still hosts ChateX (ChateX & Portable ChateX) but it will be better if ChateX has its own website (the old one can still be viewed at the Internet Archive). Have you ever considered making ChateX open-source?
Thanks! I'm trying to figure out if there can be any real good use of this program now.. the only time when I had a few users online in my server was when a game called Giants Citizen Kabuto was still alive and I integrated a server browser in the program (instead of Recently used servers, you would have the game servers and you could join/create), so.. yeah, I'm not sure..