MultiHasher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

Re: MultiHasher

#16 Post by guinness »

No problem. HostsMan is badly designed from the ground up and I've stopped using it.

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

Interesting. I hashed a bunch of files and it saves them with pathways relative to the userprofile.

Code: Select all

*%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\GnumericPortable\App\Gnumeric\bin\libfreetype-6.dll
f97bc40a91f1df748c2d0b1011af1ef6 
So you'd have to save the files to your desktop to test. I think I'd prefer path-agnostic for example when hashing something you're about to save to CD but this is still pretty cool.

Enternal

#18 Post by Enternal »

Just as a note of warning, this program has two bugs that have not been fixed and one of them is a major bug. The first bug is:
Make a new directory with some files in it. Drag the folder into MultiHasher and make MD5 hash calculations for all those files. Save the hash list in MultiHasher own hash format (mhx). Clear the list. Load the hash list. Drag the folder back into MultiHasher to "add" the folder. MultiHasher then hangs. Versions prior to 2.7.0.0 worked fine.

With 2.8.0.0+, a new major bug:
MultiHasher refuses to load mhx files that are over a certain size. From what I test so far, any mhx files that are larger than roughly 150 KB refuses to load when you drag and drop the mhx files into the MultiHasher window. Instead, MultiHasher will treat it as a regular file to be hashed rather than a list of hashes. If you tried to load the file manually (Ctrl+O), MultiHasher will do nothing for these files. Files that are less than 100 KB loads perfectly both ways. This is a major bug. For redundancy, I always saved the hashes in both mhx and md5 file format. Unfortunately an important folder that I needed to verify only had the hashes in mhx (I apparently forgot to save it in md5) so I wasn't able to check the integrity of that folder unless I write a script later to convert from mhx to md5. What an annoyance.

The first bug I reported by email iirc first. They never responded to my emails. Sometime later I opened up an account on their forums to report the bug. They deleted my thread and my account. I reported the 2nd bug just recently in December. They still did not reply to my email. Don't think they ever will.

Although I really liked the software before, I think at the point I would recommend caution using MultiHasher due to potential new major bugs that they won't acknowledge nor fix. I went back to using RapidCRC which has always been working well. RapidCRC Unicode has been rock solid and all bugs that I have reported to the author were quickly fixed or were promptly responded to. Thumbs up to the author. Even the really old MD5Checker http://getmd5checker.com/ that has not been updated since 2007 works splendidly. Oooh, I just realized that MD5Checker is not yet in the database (not the same as MD5 Checker http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=676).

That being said, if you use any other file format other than their own mhx format, you should be fine from what I see so far. This goes for both bugs. However considering how they reacted to my bug report, they lost my respect at the very least.

Userfriendly

#19 Post by Userfriendly »

MultiHasher hangs by simply drag n' dropping the same folder twice.

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

The MultiHasher support (and I assume bug posting) forum is here:

http://forum.abelhadigital.com/viewforu ... 08ba60a8a3

Enternal

#21 Post by Enternal »

Yep that is the support forum where you can report bugs. When I was first there, there were quite a few more threads but those threads were all deleted too. Definitely does not give me much confidence for the support of this software. They also have a specific email to send bug reports to (bugs@abelhadigital.com) but like I experienced, they're not responding.

@ Userfriendly
Yeah I don't remember having that issue either before 2.7.0.0. Something happened with 2.7.0.0 and after with all these pretty big bugs. So yeah, I am most likely will continue to use it but will definitely will use RapidCRC Unicode as my primary tool from now on.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

Enternal wrote:When I was first there, there were quite a few more threads but those threads were all deleted too. Definitely does not give me much confidence for the support of this software. They also have a specific email to send bug reports to (bugs@abelhadigital.com) but like I experienced, they're not responding.
I apologize - I scanned your post earlier as I was in a rush. I didn't notice that you already mentioned they were censoring bug reports.

That's very weird for a freeware program. I'll definitely quit using MultiHasher entirely.

giulia

#23 Post by giulia »

hi
the link seems no working anymore

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

giulia wrote:the link seems no working anymore
Thanks for posting in forums about this. I am having similar issues but I can't figure out what's going on there. The "downforeveryone" site is listing it as up: http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www. ... igital.com but I wasn't able to connect from one of my nodes either.

If I keep having issues I'll just point it to softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fil ... sher.shtml

Also, here's the archive.org link in case this is an indicator the site is going to go offline:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170530183 ... ultihasher