WebView2 RunTime Environment ?

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
vmars316

WebView2 RunTime Environment ?

#1 Post by vmars316 »

TIA ,
Would a program be acceptable on PFC if it needs the WebView2 RunTime Environment ?
Same question for Autodesk Environment ?

webfork

Re: WebView2 RunTime Environment ?

#2 Post by webfork »

vmars316 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:14 am TIA ,
Would a program be acceptable on PFC if it needs the WebView2 RunTime Environment ?
Same question for Autodesk Environment ?
For Webview2, if you're talking about RJ TextEd, that's necessary for some features but doesn't appear to be required. I can't seem to find anything on the Autodesk Environment so I can't speak to that.

Anyway, we generally try to avoid programs that have complex dependencies but allow for small or popular ones (such as Visual C++ Redist) that can be included with the portable software. WebView2 appears to be 112 meg download for just the 64-bit version so that doesn't seem very portable.

The site did make an exception for dotNET due to popularity despite years of pushback by some core users.

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

One reason for the .Net exception is that it's automatically included on all modern Windows systems. With .Net 5 - 7 bundled or an app that supports .Net Framework 4, it should work out of the box. For other versions it gets tricky. PortableApps.com used to not allow .Net apps but that changed as Windows usage statistics and bundling changed. It's broken down here: https://portableapps.com/support/dotnet

WebView2 is only bundled by default on Windows 11. If you're not already using something that installed it as part of its own package (Microsoft Office 365, for instance, installs it), you must manually install it on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, which requires admin rights. As such, I don't think it would be a good candidate for calling something portable out of the box.

AutoDesk environment I think requires manual install on all PCs so a requirement for it would make an app not portable in my opinion.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

vmars316

#4 Post by vmars316 »

OK , Got it ,
but if running Wimdows 11 , the program is considered Portable .
Thanks

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

vmars316 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:53 am if running Wimdows 11 , the program is considered Portable .
Portable software is ideal when it works with a wide variety of systems. For all desktop operating systems, Windows makes up about 75% (if you trust StatCounter which admittedly has some oddities in their data). Windows 11 numbers make up about 20% of current Windows users and don't seem to be improving probably due to specialized hardware requirements.

As a result, right now I'd say Win11 stats are a bit too low to be considered.

vmars316

#6 Post by vmars316 »

Thanks