RedNotebook - Journal/PIM

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: RedNotebook 1.1.4 Journal/PIM

#46 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM: I changed your extract instructions yet again. I noticed that the Innoup package is now a few months old so I think its safe to assume most users will have the latest version. I think its more clear but please reply if not.

smaragdus

Help needed - RedNotebook fails to start

#47 Post by smaragdus »

RedNotebook (both the native build and the PortableApps one) fails to initiate on my machine (Windows 8 x64)- the process appears for a few seconds in the task manager and closes so fast that I can't even create a dump file. Are there any special requirements for running RedNotebook on Windows? Any suggestion would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SYSTEM

Re: Help needed - RedNotebook fails to start

#48 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote:RedNotebook (both the native build and the PortableApps one) fails to initiate on my machine (Windows 8 x64)- the process appears for a few seconds in the task manager and closes so fast that I can't even create a dump file. Are there any special requirements for running RedNotebook on Windows? Any suggestion would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like it's crashing on startup.

It would be best to contact the author for help.

You might be able to figure out something with Process Monitor. It may be able to show you something that RedNotebook fails to do, which might trigger the crash.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

smaragdus

Re: RedNotebook - Journal/PIM

#49 Post by smaragdus »

@SYSTEM

Thank you for your response. I have disabled UAC and I have the suspicion that this might have some connection to my problem. What is also strange is the fact that many times the process doesn't start at all and when it starts it closes so fast that I have absolutely no time to create a dump file. Anyway, I reported this problem at RedNotebook forum. I also found an old 'Report.wer' file created months ago when I was again trying to run RedNotebook in portable mode. In this case Process Monitor wasn't of any help- 'rednotebook.exe' process exits almost immediately so there is no time to see anything about it.

SYSTEM

#50 Post by SYSTEM »

(emphasis added)
smaragdus wrote:In this case Process Monitor wasn't of any help- 'rednotebook.exe' process exits almost immediately so there is no time to see anything about it.
:?: Process Monitor logs all events.

smaragdus

#51 Post by smaragdus »

@SYSTEM
I had a painful experience with Process Monitor- when I tried to save the report it began to use all the RAM finally taking almost 16 GB of RAM, the PC froze severely and the only solution was the power button. This abnormal shutdown destroyed the settings of some programs, I was able to restore the portable ones but with qBittorrent it was real hell- I spent about 12 hours re-adding the torrents I seeded. I am not sure but I think that all Qt programs are prone to losing settings in such circumstances. But the portable Tixati in contrast with qBittirrent didn't lost anything.

I got little help from the developer of RedNotebook:
You could try the non-portable version from rednotebook.sourceforge.net
so I am giving up. Unfortunately, to my knowledge there are no valuable free alternatives to RedNotebook.

SYSTEM

#52 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote:@SYSTEM
I had a painful experience with Process Monitor- when I tried to save the report it began to use all the RAM finally taking almost 16 GB of RAM, the PC froze severely and the only solution was the power button. This abnormal shutdown destroyed the settings of some programs, I was able to restore the portable ones but with qBittorrent it was real hell- I spent about 12 hours re-adding the torrents I seeded. I am not sure but I think that all Qt programs are prone to losing settings in such circumstances. But the portable Tixati in contrast with qBittirrent didn't lost anything.
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

smaragdus

#53 Post by smaragdus »

@SYSTEM
There's nothing to be sorry about, it is entirely my fault- it is high time to start making back-up copies regularly, I am usually lazy and negligent and I pay the price for my carelessness.

smaragdus

#54 Post by smaragdus »

The mystery continues, the latest version of RedNotebook- 1.13, also fails to start on my system. I found a Report.wer file about the crash on start and I wonder whether someone can scrape some clues from it.

billon

#55 Post by billon »

smaragdus

#56 Post by smaragdus »

@billon
Thanks for your suggestion. However I deleted by mistake the "Report.wer" file and when I try to run "rednotebook.exe" no new "Report.wer" file is generated (AppCrashView relies on these WER files).

smaragdus

Re: RedNotebook

#57 Post by smaragdus »

Since version 2.2 I have no problem running RedNotebook on my system but it has other problems- besides bugs there are features unavailable in Windows version (even "Preview" works only in browser) so in my opinion the Windows version is very poor. Since I didn't find a good free diary/journal program for Windows I had to purchase a commercial one.

smaragdus

Re: RedNotebook 2.8

#58 Post by smaragdus »

For me 277 MB (93 dlls that occupy 130 MB, only libcef.dll takes 80.3 MB) for a diary program is too much for what it offers.

webfork

Re: RedNotebook

#59 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:39 am Since I didn't find a good free diary/journal program for Windows I had to purchase a commercial one.
I was sure I knew of another diary program but I had surprising difficulty finding one. I'll keep my eyes open.

Midas

#60 Post by Midas »

I was going to suggest myDiary, but it appears to have vanished everywhere -- including from TPFC (e.g., check viewtopic.php?t=1968)... :o