Digsby - multi-protocol chat program [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
carbonize

Re: Digsby platform will be open sourced

#16 Post by carbonize »

They did promise an update about last September but stated they had some issues with how to push it out but nothing since then. I love Digsby but Tagged has killed it and not enough people program in Python to maintain it.

smaragdus

Re: Digsby

#17 Post by smaragdus »

The installer is clean but Digsby creates too many empty folders.
It is still able to connect to ICQ, Yahoo, AOL, GTalk and Jabber but fails to connect to Facebook (since Facebook switched protocol). Digsby also fails to connect to e-mail accounts (Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, during my tests it managed to connect only to AOL mail) so it cannot be used as a mail checker. The mail checking feature was cool and useful but it no longer works so now abandoned Digsby has no advantages over other multi-protocol messengers like Miranda IM and Pidgin (I hope Pidgin is not abandoned too). In terms if memory usage Digsby is slightly heavier than Miranda IM but two times lighter than Pidgin. For me its main disadvantage is that it requires to connect to Digsby server first so when Tagged decides to shut it down it will be absolutely useless.

smaragdus

Re: Digsby platform will be open sourced

#18 Post by smaragdus »

They did promise an update about last September but stated they had some issues with how to push it out but nothing since then. I love Digsby but Tagged has killed it and not enough people program in Python to maintain it.
Unfortunately you are right, Digsby is as dead as a dodo and there is no hope that one day it will be resurrected. This is what usually happens when a big corporation buys a messenger.

I am afraid that Pidgin is heading to the same sad ending.

Midas

Re: Digsby - multi-protocol chat program [discontinued]

#19 Post by Midas »

Topic update: App and site are gone (the later redirects to some kind of social network I never heard of and has some serious certification issues).

Downvoted.

webfork

Re: Digsby - multi-protocol chat program [discontinued]

#20 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:58 am App and site are gone
Yeah 8 years is PLENTY of time for something (*anything*) to happen with that program. Anyway, it looks like it fell back to the private database so it's off the main site. Frustrating news for something with so much promise but a very good idea.