Double Commander - cross platform file manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Double Commander - cross platform file manager

#1 Post by joby_toss »

Double Commander is a cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.

Here are some key features of Double Commander:

* Unicode support
* All operations working in background
* Multi-rename tool
* Tabbed interface
* Custom columns
* Internal text editor (F4) with syntax hightlighting
* Built in file viewer (F3) to view files of in hex, binary or text format
* Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR.
* Extended search function with full text search in any files
* Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands
* Total Commander WCX, WDX and WLX plug-ins support
* File operations logging
* And more...

Create a file named "doublecmd.ini" with the following content:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
UseIniInProgramDir=1
or choose "Configuration/Configuration/Program directory (portable version)".

The last official released version is 0.4.0 beta, but the last alpha version can be found here (only for testing).
I've played around with it a bit and I'm quite impressed.
Good luck!

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

FYI: the zip file already has the doublecmd.ini with the appropriate setting for portability, so it's just "unzip & run".

I wondered how it was cross-platform without requiring Java or QT or GTK+ libraries or something (the Linux versions are either QT or GTK+). It's the 164KB Lua DLL. I had no idea something like that existed.

It looks nice right now, and really, really promising. :)

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

ashghost wrote:FYI: the zip file already has the doublecmd.ini with the appropriate setting for portability, so it's just "unzip & run".
Oh yes, sorry about that...I had my eyes inside the alpha release folder that contains only the updated files btw and no "doublecmd.ini" file. :)

alexsupra

Double Commander

#4 Post by alexsupra »

[Moderator note: merged this post with the current thread.]

---

Double Commander is a cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.

Here are some key features of Double Commander:
* Unicode support
* All operations working in background
* Multi-rename tool
* Tabbed interface
* Custom columns
* Internal text editor (F4) with syntax hightlighting
* Built in file viewer (F3) to view files of in hex, binary or text format
* Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ, LZMA and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR.
* Extended search function with full text search in any files
* Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands
* Total Commander WCX, WDX and WLX plug-ins support
* File operations logging
* And more...

portable application mode can be easy enabled via the configuration options (see screenshot)

screenshot: http://imgur.com/nC66w.png
download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/doublecmd/files/
homepage: http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net

webfork

Re: Double Commander

#6 Post by webfork »

Licensed under the GPL and LGPL.

The only comparable OSS file manager program is muCommander, which relies on Java.

I guess this hasn't been added yet because its still in the "beta" stage? I'll test it along with a few other apps when I get some time.

Edit:

There's a really long file list on the sourceforge page, but I think this is the correct download:

doublecmd-0.4.5.2.i386-win32.zip

The program includes a pretty cool file associations manager, but I think I found a bug: you have to expand the window to see all options. In fact, you can't do anything in this window until its expanded.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:I guess this hasn't been added yet because its still in the "beta" stage? I'll test it along with a few other apps when I get some time.
I think that was my reason. :)
webfork wrote:There's a really long file list on the sourceforge page, but I think this is the correct download:
doublecmd-0.4.5.2.i386-win32.zip.
Here are some portable versions maintained by Dirk Paehl for latest version 0.4.6 (no console window while DC is running etc.):
http://www.box.net/shared/t5o7x3okec

Edit:
- leaves empty "doublecmd" folder in AppData
Last edited by joby_toss on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

m^(2)

#8 Post by m^(2) »

Just wondering, how about TC plugins on Linux? Is there any that works?

alexsupra

#9 Post by alexsupra »

does anybody know how to make it resize column sizes automatically according to changes of window size?
for example Unreal Commander has this feature, but File Navigator hasnt.
or maybe there is another free and portable file manager with such rather adequate feature, isnt it?

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:leaves empty "doublecmd" folder in AppData
I ran a test on it today and didn't get that.

Anyway, its portable.

Magibon

#11 Post by Magibon »

yes.. it's portable, stealth, and comes in 32/64. :)

you can even select Path once launched if you want to run locally.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

If you tested the program back when it was first mentioned, the 0.5.0 version came out about a month ago and added FTP and network support, added more checksum and archive (including 7z) support.

Tested this out last night quite a bit and very impressed. Like another open source file manager muCommander, there's a bit of a learning curve, but also a surprising number of features and capabilities. While the interface looks a little cluttered and inelegant compared to many similar programs, its also clear a lot of thought went into making everything quick and accessible.

Probably the coolest feature is the program's simple command-line interface at the bottom of the screen where you can type in commands (great for automation or quickly pasting in a long directory) with an output/results window below.

Features include a customizable tabbed, dual-window interface, can show directory sizes ("Show occupied space"). File comparison, rename, compress/extract, split/combine, create/verify checksum. Advanced file search with text search and replace, many search options (specific date, time, and size ranges, saved searches, and available search plugins.

Problems:

Note that these issues may have gotten cleaned up in the latest version -- turns out I was testing and old one.

* I couldn't get the file associations to work. I tried creating an association to a JPG opening program and it just kept using the internal viewer. This may have been fixed in the latest version mentioned above.

* Tried to split a file. Happily, it warned me when I tried to split something into more than 100 parts, but appeared to freeze the program. Just waited a bit and turned out it worked fine.

m^(2)

#13 Post by m^(2) »

webfork wrote:Like another open source file manager muCommander, there's a bit of a learning curve, but also a surprising number of features and capabilities. While the interface looks a little cluttered and inelegant compared to many similar programs, its also clear a lot of thought went into making everything quick and accessible.
Depends on where you come from. My background is Total Commander and it is extremely easy to learn and in many ways very natural (though in few others not so much).
webfork wrote:* I couldn't get the file associations to work. I tried creating an association to a JPG opening program and it just kept using the internal viewer. This may have been fixed in the latest version mentioned above.
I have it working and I see 2 places when something could go wrong:
- file extension is "jpg", not ".jpg" or "*.jpg"
- there are 3 available actions, Open (default), Edit and View. Open works when you 2-click, Edit is F4 and View - F3.

If it's not one of them, could you post a quote from the config file?

ADDED: My post no. 768. :)

lautrepay

#14 Post by lautrepay »

v0.5.1 beta released.

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

Double Commander 0.5.3 beta released! (14.01.2012)

http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/site/eng/news.html