Trillian Astra and Trillian 5 - multi-network IM

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
bassiliin

Re: Trillian Astra and Trillian 5

#16 Post by bassiliin »

Is it only me or it's a feature... ?

When using in trillian.ini settings Use User Directory=0 then after closing Trillian then all settings and user folder will be deleted and starting it next time will be as brand new install.

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

Some concerns with the current Trillian Astra.
  • If you go through the process, its necessary to X the final screen to not actually launch the program. If you're not paying close attention (I wasn't) you get a lot of garbage into AppData and the registry.
  • You need to uncheck more than the uninstall program during install.
I tried fixing the instructions with the following:
1. Download the installer and deselect all boxes in the making an uninstaller and running at startup.
2. Install to a folder of your choice (excluding the "Program Files" directory)
3. Choose "No thanks" when prompted to install additional software and then uncheck "Install Trillian Toolbar"
4. At the Trillian is installed window click the "X" box in the top-right corner -- do not press the Launch button.
4. Open file trillian.ini in a text editor and replace the contents with the following

[General]
Use User Directory=0
5. Launch trillian.exe
... but now the trillian.ini file is showing up as something completely different than before, which makes me think its leaving something in my registry that wouldn't get deleted by my uninstall process (using Zsoft).

Note added to the main entry. I've asked Andrew to take the entry offline until this gets resolved.

Napiophelios

#18 Post by Napiophelios »

what do you mean?
Mine is using the same ini file

I extracted mine via a virtual install letting it install to its default location
then just copied the program files over the old ones on my actual system.

it does create an appdata folder during installation
but after creating the ini file via the DB instructions
it uses a sub folder within the appdirectory when launched.

Edit:
When editing the ini file
make sure to only edit the trillian.ini next to the main exe
the trillian.ini within the user folder shouldnt be messed with.

Andrew Lee

#19 Post by Andrew Lee »

This app is mostly supported by the votes of Napiophelios and carbonize, so what do you guys think? One of yuu can simply down-vote the app if you changed your mind and it will be reverted back to private status.

Under the current system, I don't feel comfortable overriding the voting system unless it's clear-cut malware or payware etc.

MiDoJo

#20 Post by MiDoJo »

I've gone ahead and voted no, based on Joby_toss's Reg find and Bassiliin's odd finding (neither of which has been refuted)

I used to use Trillian but it became too big and cumbersome on my portable (as well as the tragic effort it took to make the old version portable)

I also don't like to have bundled-ware included unless it falls under Andrew's original exceptions (I.e. that there is not another such program in the database). Since we do have Miranda, and Pidgin portable I think we should either not have it or wait til John_H has made a portableapps version

Just my opinions don't shoot me like a duck in a 80's Video Game Console Game

EDIT: I felt bad when my voted said I thought the program sucks. . . but I knew what Andrew meant. . . it sucks for inclusion to the DataBase

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

Napiophelios wrote:what do you mean?
Mine is using the same ini file
Sorry this took so long to get back to. There are several problems with the entry right now (which I think is just a result of the build changing over time), but I'd really like someone else to test the install process just to verify my results. As it stands I'd have to create another virtual machine to test it effectively. Everytime I try, I get different results than the first time and I can't figure out what registry entry is causing that.

So could someone else try the install process and respond?

Edit: forgot to respond to Andrew's post:
Andrew Lee wrote:Under the current system, I don't feel comfortable overriding the voting system unless it's clear-cut malware or payware etc.
The problem I have is that the instructions are incorrect and I can't figure out how to fix them. My concern is that we are currently listing a program that will confuse/bewilder visitors.

joby_toss

#22 Post by joby_toss »

I retested Trillian v5.1.0.19 (MD5: 69d7a248b35a292c10c3d1ecdeed77bc).
I advise you to install it using Sandboxie and outside the Program Files directory, because the installer leaves kind' of a mess on the system.
All the needed files are in the installation folder.
I edited the .ini according to the instructions from the database entry.
The results: well...settings are saved in the installation folder, but there are so many bits and pieces left all over the place, that it's not even funny. Not essential pieces, though.
If you really like this app, use it. I do! I use a JPE launcher for it, though.
Not stealth! Actually it is the "least stealth" portable app I know! :)

freakazoid

#23 Post by freakazoid »

I've updated the listing and amended the extraction instructions to add one additional config line.

Other than the skin-related registry writes, it's pretty portable.

I also wasn't prompted to install any 3rd-party apps and even though the official website says the free version displays ads, I haven't seen any yet. Maybe because I'm using the MVPS hosts file.
is it stealth? ;)

Ascend4nt

#24 Post by Ascend4nt »

I haven't had trouble running this portably. In fact, it is my go-to IM messaging and email-checking client. Very compact on memory usage as well. There's also some nice plugins include an RSS reader.

Latest update addresses security issues.. (5.4.0.16)

edit: Plugins available at http://developer.ceruleanstudios.com/index.php/Plugins
Its been a few years since many of them have been updated, but they seem to at least claim compatibility with version 5.x. They should typically just be put in the Trillian\Plugins folder and then enabled within Trillian after restarting the app.

webfork

Re: Trillian Astra and Trillian 5 - multi-network IM

#25 Post by webfork »

Rechecking some older programs that are still in development. The program appears to still be in development, now at v.6.5: https://www.trillian.im/changelog/windows/6.5/ ... there is a free version available but nothing in terms of portability.

Also a side note that the program appears to have been around for 22 years, which is impressive on it's own.