TextRoom

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

TextRoom

#1 Post by I am Baas »

[Moderator note: this is the primary TextRoom program thread. View database entry]

----

TextRoom is an Open Source Cross Platform Full Screen Rich Text Editor For Writers.

http://code.google.com/p/textroom/

Download portable version @ http://code.google.com/p/textroom/downloads/list

(The only thing written outside the application folder is the Trolltech registry key. Should I add to TPFC?)

guinness

Re: TextRoom

#2 Post by guinness »

(The only thing written outside the application folder is the Trolltech registry key. Should I add to TPFC?)
In your opinion would you say this application is unique to what is available on TPFC DB?

Tested: Portable - I couldn't find the Trolltech Registry Key!

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

Q10 is the only comparable application already in the DB. Q10 was last updated in 2007.

Strange about the Trolltech keys... could not find them either on the second run (closed textroom, deleted keys, and restarted the application. Nothing was written to the registry.).

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I have had that on many occasions, me and joby_toss have had many an argument :) So my question of "how useful it is" can be disregarded since its Portable.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:I have had that on many occasions, me and joby_toss have had many an argument :) So my question of "how useful it is" can be disregarded since its Portable.
Entry into the database is one thing, but an analysis of how useful a program is means something to me as I want to know if this is something I should spend a lot of time and energy on. For example, two months ago I went back and really tried to clean up / update the OpenOffice entry, simply because its one of our most popular programs and I'm watching the OpenOffice LibreOffice situation carefully. Although this site does feature quite a few niche programs for a very small number of users, its always nice to feel like you're working on something people care about.

In this case, the fact that its an open source (GPL'd) alternative to the excellent Q10 is a big draw. If there are other reasons, please post.

Update: yes, VERY similar to Q10. Very.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

donald

Re: TextRoom 0.8.1

#6 Post by donald »

This is very good and has the potential to go forward.

It already has a few nice ideas built in, like scratchpad, and a few other tweaks over Q10.

With the cross-platforms development it would seem to have gone further than Q10.

***Edit

Here is a list of features from the applications home website;
Features
Version 0.8.1

* MiniFlo mindmapper based on Flo by Ian Reinhart Geiser.
* GetAWord Random Word Generator for creative writers using a word list from here.
* MusicRoom, very basic music player. (Can't play mp3, but you are good with ogg.)
* basic rich text editing: bold, italic, and changing font, font size and color
* RTL support.
* Open Office Writer Document (odt) export.
* Insert images to your documents.
* Adjustable Tab stop width and paragraph spacing.
* Text alignment (Right, Left, Centered and Justified).
* configurable statusbar colors and fonts
* configurable editor width and height
* configurable behavior: full-screen on/off, auto save, flow mode (disable delete and backspace keys), load last document on startup, remember position in text for the last file
* insert current time and/or date in a configurable fashion
* live word count for all text and selected text
* live character count option
* configurable page count option
* live clock on statusbar
* targets: setting deadline from a graphical calendar
* targets: setting a target word count
* targets: setting short deadlines to write in minutes
* keyboard shortcuts for the most common tasks (if you start the program for the first time, just press F1 for help)
* typing sounds similar to a typewriter which can be disabled
* cross-platform, TextRoom has a Windows installer now and it's possible to compile on Mac too.
* Spellcheck with hunspell. Now TextRoom checks for the installed hunspell dictionaries, and uses them.
* Universal Linux installer.
* Printing support.
* Background images.
* Transparent statusbar.
* File association with .txr files.
* Restoring all settings to defaults.
* Plain text only or rich text options.
* Scratchpad.
* Line indent (Shift+Enter ignores Indent).

Note about MusicRoom: It uses SDL_mixer to play ogg files. I use mplayer instead in my own version of TextRoom. I just didn't want much deps, and giving mplayer with Windows binaries would dramatically increase file size. So if you'd like to use another player with TextRoom, you can contact me.

webfork

Re: TextRoom 0.8.1

#7 Post by webfork »

donald wrote:This is very good and has the potential to go forward.
Agreed, the developers appear very active with the program. Based on research about 6 months ago, there were a few minimalistic / no-distraction editors out for Mac but none that were open and in development.

Very glad to have it.

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

Tested V0.81

Writes settings to application folder but also seems to leave an empty key @ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Textroom\TextRoom

Can anyone confirm that?

Dl portable version @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/textroo ... p/download

donald

#9 Post by donald »

Just retried this version and I noticed that the scratch pad feature has focus issues.

Open scratch pad (F6) and focus remains with the text editor (TextRoom), next click on the scratch pad and type
and then close scratch pad (F6) and focus is not returned to the text editor (TextRoom).

I can understand not handing focus to scratch pad on open because it might be used as an outline/notes and rarely typed in but returning focus to the text editor (TextRoom) on the close of scratch pad (F6) is not making sense.

Also the text does not scroll up away from the scratch pad which is opaque and over the text so this also does not make sense.
*****MY Request in short.******(Please forward your requests to http://code.google.com/p/textroom/issues/list)
I believe that Focus should pass from the text editor (TextRoom) when you open scratch pad (F6) and return focus to the text editor (TextRoom) on the close of scratch pad (F6).

Otherwise I think the text should scroll up away from the scratch pad (1 line at a time as typed), and return focus to the text editor (TextRoom) on the close of scratch pad (F6).

I will be making a feature request, please ME TOO if you agree or send a request or comment of your own
******update re: Issue 87 & 88**********
Issue 87 http://code.google.com/p/textroom/issue ... mary&id=87
Issue 88 http://code.google.com/p/textroom/issue ... mary&id=88
Please make a comment on the issues at http://code.google.com/p/textroom/issues/list
Last edited by donald on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable

I didn't get the registry key you reported I am Baas. I tested on XP SP3 with Admin rights.

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:Tested V0.81

Writes settings to application folder but also seems to leave an empty key @ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Textroom\TextRoom

Can anyone confirm that?
I do -- got exactly the same result.

Also, MEE TOO to donald request... :D

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

Thanks, Midas.

Is it just a Win 7 issue or did you test on another OS?

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

Win7x64sp1, admin, no UAC

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

I tested on Windows Vista and 7 and the empty key existed.

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:Is it just a Win 7 issue or did you test on another OS?
Sorry. Win XP Pro SP3 here...