SuperCopier (and UltraCopier)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
CreamyPoo

SuperCopier (and UltraCopier)

#1 Post by CreamyPoo »

SuperCopier replaces Windows file copy dialogue with something that look a little nicer and detailed. It also adds more functions like pausing, skipping a file, copy lists, and file transfer speed throttling.

It stores its settings to the registry by default, but theres an option in the program to use a .ini file instead. OR you can extract app with universal extractor and make a file called 'SuperCopier2.ini' in app folder and skip all that stupid install/uninstall process :D

Website and screenshots are in french but the program itself is in english.
Homepage - http://supercopier.sfxteam.org/modules/mydownloads/
Screenshots - http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... a=N&tab=wi

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!

webfork

Re: SuperCopier 2.2 Beta

#3 Post by webfork »

After FreewareGenius listed this program as one of his top 20, I took a closer look and found 2.2 Beta was out.

It seems portable, save for these changes, which I don't recognize:

File Changed C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP "Modified=9/15/2010 2:23:13 PM" (old value="Modified=9/15/2010 2:21:13 PM")
File Changed C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER "Modified=9/15/2010 2:23:13 PM" (old value="Modified=9/15/2010 2:21:13 PM")
File Changed C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP "Modified=9/15/2010 2:23:13 PM" (old value="Modified=9/14/2010 8:56:39 PM")
File Changed C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP "Modified=9/15/2010 2:23:13 PM" (old value="Modified=9/15/2010 2:21:13 PM")

Its WinNT and above now, but Win 95/98/ME can use Beta 1.9

Thoughts?

guinness

Re: SuperCopier2 Beta 1.9

#4 Post by guinness »

I found information about the files that were changed - http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-181671.php, it doesn't seem to affect Portability.

But with regards to question I am happy with FastCopy & TeraCopy. Still it's a good find.

webfork

Re: SuperCopier2 Beta 1.9

#5 Post by webfork »

> I found information about the files that were changed

Excellent - thanks.

> it doesn't seem to affect Portability.

Sounds good. Updating entry.

I am Baas

UltraCopier

#6 Post by I am Baas »

guinness

Re: UltraCopier

#7 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Note: there aren't any clear reviews for this software I can find nor clear descriptions so the detective work begins. The developer's first language obviously isn't English and there's no documentation so here's what I've got so far:

A program of startling scope, it appears UltraCopier actually lives up to its own name: it takes over copy processes for all three major operating systems (Win/Linux/Mac) own copy process, giving detailed output on the progress, speed limit, and many other options.

Right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting "Add copy/moving" will look much more familiar to users of programs like TeraCopy and FastCopy. Drag and drop a file you wish to copy/move and then select a destination.

The program allows for sequential copy (a big problem in Mac and pre-Vista Windows), although it won't immediately ask the user to add it to a que of files -- user must select "more" from the copy progress window and add it (the green + icon).

Other notes:
  • License is GPLv3
  • Its similar to SuperCopier (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=819), but I had some problems with that software so UltraCopier certainly has my vote.
  • The version number suggests this is alpha or beta stage, but I can't really tell. It seems solid.
  • Built using QT tools so I thought AppCompactor/ArcThemAll would knock down the size but AppCompactor didn't do anything. Evidently the author already used some UPX compression.
  • Nicely self-contained with all the necessary files in one directory
Update: Found a flaw: I tried to copy a directory of hundreds of folders into another directory that was party full of these same folders. Explorer just sort of froze. After a few minutes I gave up and closed the program.

Napiophelios

#9 Post by Napiophelios »

webfork wrote:...it takes over copy processes for all three major operating systems (Win/Linux/Mac) own copy process, giving detailed output on the progress, speed limit, and many other options.

Right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting "Add copy/moving" will look much more familiar to users of programs like TeraCopy and FastCopy. Drag and drop a file you wish to copy/move and then select a destination.
Yeah if you double click the icon it enables (blue) or disables (red) the app's control over the process,however if the app is open and the icon is red,explorer crashes when you try to copy or move something the traditional way (I accidentally double clicked the icon without noticing the color change)
Also if you are moving/copying alot of files it can disable simple drag and drop sometimes,even just from one folder to another in the same root folder.I guess its depends on its work load.Of course these things could also just be my old computer not being able to keep up with the program. :oops:

On my system it is moving about 350mb every 4 minutes to an external harddrive.
which I guess isnt too bad for a removable device.
Taskmanager says mem usage never went over 21,000K (it idles at 15,800K)

Other than the lack of some help documentation I really like this program alot.
Seems much more stable than Teracopy for me.

Edit: Alright the removable drive wasnt a good test run for comparison.
So I used windows to copy a 350mb episode of Fringe to the c drive (desktop) from my d partition and it completed in just under 2 minutes.Using UltraCopier the time was literally cut in half to just under 1 minute.Not too shabby.

alpha_one_x86

#10 Post by alpha_one_x86 »

I'm interested to fix the froze of Ultracopier, can you send me the log of debug portable version or tell me more of your configuration for I reproduce it?

I have do user guide: http://ultracopier.first-world.info/guide/ (possible missing of visibility)
And developper doxygen guide: http://doc-ultracopier.first-world.info/

I'm french, I search english native speaker to help me to correct the web site, the soft, and for the next version the comment into the code source.
The actual version Ultracopier intercept only the copy under windows (x86 and x64 with the x86 portable version, I have well look for it), but I work on the next version witch will intercept copy form mac (finder), kde (konqueror/dolphin), gnome (nautilus), it's few hard because I need code explorer plugin for each system.

I will improve the sequential copy I thinks in the next major version, if you have other suggestion I'm open. I have focused of conception of portable version. For the next version the support, specially on read only support for store ultracopier, will be improved.

The actual branch 0.2.X.X is in stable with some revision (I have check data copy integrity, try generate some bug into the code and on the fs). The next version 0.3 is in pre-alpha stage.

Gilgamesh

#11 Post by Gilgamesh »

It is saving its settings to "\Data\settings.conf", on the root of the driver. Can you modify it, so it saves to ".\Data\settings.conf", on the same folder of the application?

alpha_one_x86

#12 Post by alpha_one_x86 »

Yes I can. Normaly it add full path of .exe + path "Data\settings.conf", that's prevent current path mistake.
Exemple actualy it should be for:
c:\toto\ultracopier.exe
the file:
c:\toto\Data\settings.conf
It's not your behavior? It's not what do you want? Where do you prefer the data?

Gilgamesh

#13 Post by Gilgamesh »

I did some tests, using 0.2.0.15 and in my case it always saves to:
P:\Data\settings.conf
instead of:
P:\apps\ultracopier\Data\settings.conf

The exe is located on:
P:\apps\ultracopier\ultracopier.exe

alpha_one_x86

#14 Post by alpha_one_x86 »

Can you use the version: http://files.first-world.info/ultracopi ... 2.0.15.rar and send me the log file (http://ultracopier.first-world.info/gui ... t-bug.html) I will investigate to solve it.

Gilgamesh

#15 Post by Gilgamesh »

Thanks, i've sent it to "ultracopier at first-world.info".
If you want me to do some more tests, just say it.