MobaXterm - Portable X server with SSH client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
SYSTEM

Re: MobaXterm - Portable X server with SSH client

#46 Post by SYSTEM »

Mobatek wrote:Thank you, it is very impressive to see how fast you update the entry when I post to this forum!
Really, thank you for your work on PortableFreeware, we really appreciate your work.
Thanks. We appreciate your work as well. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Ruby

#47 Post by Ruby »

@Mobatek
Added new master password feature (secure passwords saving with strong encryption) - PRO EDITION ONLY
THANK YOU

~Ruby

Ruby

#48 Post by Ruby »

Mobatek

#49 Post by Mobatek »

Oops, it seems that we forgot to update the version number in the executable signature... This will be corrected in the next version, thank you for reporting it!

sti04

#50 Post by sti04 »

Thanks for the updates, still use it every day.

Mobatek

#51 Post by Mobatek »

Hello everyone!

We just released MobaXterm version 6.5.
In this release, we added a new experimental cool feature: the SFTP browser can now follow the SSH current directory (when you perform a "cd /home/john/myfiles", then the SFTP browser automatically browse to this path. We also added a new X server with better Java support, toolbar configuration and muich more...

Here is the full changelog:
- New (experimental) feature: SFTP browser can now follow SSH terminal PATH: when you perform a "cd /tmp" in your terminal, SFTP browser will list /tmp content
- The buttons toolbar can now be customized
- Added vertical tabs: you can show/hide them by right-clicking on the tab bar and choose "Show/hide vertical tabs"
- Improved terminal speed by copying in TXT format by default (you can still copy with text formatting by using the terminal right-click menu)
- Corrected a fullscreen problem when using 2 monitors
- Added the "Ctrl+Shift+Tab" for reverse-cycling into tabs. As usual, this keyboard shortcut can be modified in the "Settings" window
- Removed "minimize/minimize to tray" menu
- Added more termcap definitions (vt100, vt200, xterm-256colors, etc...)
- Corrected some RDP tab closing bugs with slow RDP servers
- Implemented a more reliable network adapters detection
- Added the "ifconfig" command
- Fullscreen mode now displays the top toolbar for 2 seconds before closing it
- Serial connections can now be made using either minicom or microcom
- Telnet connecitons can now be made using either standard-telnet or busybox-telnet
- Updated Xorg to version 1.14.2 (corrected a bug with keyboard input in recent Java graphical applications)
- Corrected backspace key handling inside terminal when "Unix compatible keyboard" is unchecked
- Improved startup speed and CPU consumption while MobaXterm is running
- Added ssh private key connection mode for graphical tunnels
- Added an option for selecting the local network adapter for SSH tunnels
- Corrected a bug with XDMCP sessions not being started correctly at second launch

As usual, you can download this new version here: http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html and it is still portable and stealth.

Thank you!

SYSTEM

#52 Post by SYSTEM »

Mobatek wrote:Hello everyone!

We just released MobaXterm version 6.5.
In this release, we added a new experimental cool feature: the SFTP browser can now follow the SSH current directory (when you perform a "cd /home/john/myfiles", then the SFTP browser automatically browse to this path. We also added a new X server with better Java support, toolbar configuration and muich more...
Thank you. Entry updated. :)

kingneutron

#53 Post by kingneutron »

Hey, I've been having a problem with Mobaxterm personal edition for every release after 6.2 -- 6.2 is the only one that works perfectly for me.

I submitted a bugreport on this (via the company's website) a full month ago and have not heard back at all.

update: Tried Repair of mobaxterm, still having same issue.
update: Tried uninstall/reinstall of mobaxterm v6.5, still having same issue.
update: Tried uninstall/reinstall of mobaxterm v6.3, still having same issue.

--I am forced to backlevel to v6.2 until this is fixed. 6.2 is currently working normally and asked me correctly to unblock the firewall when launched. However, I would like to try the new features in v6.5 without my CPU getting pegged to 100% and bash processes spawning out of control.

Original message follows:

(Personal edition) v6.5 on Win7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit keeps spawning multiple bash.exe and Xwin.exe processes while sitting there doing nothing after launch; just a bare session without remoting into another computer. Quad-core CPU is at 100% usage and fan is coming on to try to cool down laptop.

Laptop: Dell Studio 1550, Intel 2.27 GHz with 4GB RAM

Do plugins need to be updated separately? Bash is at (16) processes and climbing even after I ended a few in Taskmgr. Xwin.exe is at (15) processes and climbing.

Crap Cleaner v4.01.4093 (64-bit) is installed and removed something pertaining to an invalid firewall rule for MBXT. Email me and I can attach the related registry file.

Update: Mobaxterm was completely uninstalled and reinstalled @ v6.2, which is the *only* version that works right on this laptop. I tried v6.3 and it has the same issue. The Crap Cleaner software is still detecting invalid firewall rules, but I have added them to the whitelist.

Please Help

Mobatek

#54 Post by Mobatek »

@kingneutron: in order for us to understand why this problem occurs in your environment, could you please follow this procedure in order to generate a "log" file with debugging information?
- Start MobaXterm using the "-debug" commandline parameter (e.g. C:\some\place\MobaXterm.exe -debug)
- After MobaXterm has been started, when the problem occurs, close MobaXterm using the "close" button
- A file called "MobaXterm.log" will be created in the same folder as MobaXterm executable. Please send it to us by email.

In order for us to figure out what is going wrong, please tell us if you have some particularities in your Windows environment (application virtualization, sandbox software, antivirus, ...)
Thank you in advance.

Ruby

#55 Post by Ruby »

kingneutron wrote:Hey, I've been having a problem with Mobaxterm personal edition for every release after 6.2 -- 6.2 is the only one that works perfectly for me.

6.2 is currently working normally and asked me correctly to unblock the firewall when launched.

Crap Cleaner v4.01.4093 (64-bit) is installed and removed something pertaining to an invalid firewall rule for MBXT.

The Crap Cleaner software is still detecting invalid firewall rules, but I have added them to the whitelist.

Please Help
I'm not seeing anything like this on my system (Win7 HP 64-bit) but I can touch on those firewall rules.

The rules are actually created for xwin.exe on a per version basis, i.e. MobaXterm expands and runs from the %tmp% folder with the current version in the folder string/name:
c:\users\admin\appdata\local\temp\admin_mobaxterm6.5\bin\xwin.exe
Upon exit the 'temp' folder (xxx_mobaxtermX.X) is deleted and the xwin.exe path is now invalid therefore the rules are no longer 'valid'

This may or may not help but check the allow list for your firewall:
Win+R to bring up the run dialog and enter this command:

Code: Select all

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL firewall.cpl
then "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" - select/highlight a progam and then details to see the file path.

IMO they should remove the app version from the folder name, just sayin'...

~Ruby

kingneutron

#56 Post by kingneutron »

--Thanks - I have submitted the debug log. I also ran into the same problem on another laptop (XP), so it may be 3rd-party-software getting into the mix.

kingneutron

#57 Post by kingneutron »

Update: Looks like the Xservers.mxt3 plugin was the culprit. Removing it from the MBXT program directory enabled v6.5 to launch fine with normal CPU usage :)

Issue appears resolved on all of my machines, thanks support! :-)

Mobatek

#58 Post by Mobatek »

Hello!

We just released MobaXterm version 6.6.
In this release, we added a lot of improvements on SSH sessions, SFTP browser, RDP sessions, and SSH tunnels...

Here is the full changelog:
- Improved SFTP browser (increased performance, added new CTR cipher, automatic reconnection on session lost)
- Improved RDP sessions by putting each RDP tab in a separate process
- Added Pageant support (Settings --> Configuration --> SSH tab --> Use Pageant)
- Added dynamic SSH tunnels (this allows you to easily run SOCKS proxy!)
- When session logs are enabled, 2 files are now created: "<filename>.log" will contain everything that was typed into the terminal (including special characters and escape sequences) and "<filename>.txt" will contain only printable output
- Improved SSH gateway connections (increased performances, added new CTR cipher, automatic reconnection on session lost)
- Improved SSH tunnel connections (increased performances, added new CTR cipher, automatic reconnection on session lost)
- Corrected some small RDP focus bugs (especially with RDP sessions contained in detached windows)
- SFTP operations have been made asynchronous in order not to block other MobaXterm features when establishing SFTP connection, downloading file or changing directory
- Improved MobaTextEditor sessions by putting each MobaTextEditor tab in a separate process
- SFTP file dates are now displayed using local time and not GMT time
- Added ASCII mode support for SFTP sessions
- Corrected a bug: ssh-agent and ssh-pageant were not correctly restarted if MobaXterm process was killed before
- Added keyboard interactive authentication for SFTP browser
- Disabled "Follow SSH path" feature when SFTP browser is inactive
- MobaXterm now preserves directory structure when importing Scrt sessions
- Corrected a bug: when closing a tab with confirmation message disabled, in some cases the close button did not work at first time
- Removed user name from MobaXterm temp directory so that firewall rules for X11 server could be set up easily (in order to allow X11 server, add program "%tempfolder%\MobaXterm%Version%\bin\XWin.exe" to the firewall whitelist)
- Improved ergonomics of settings tabs
- SFTP browser now displays useful hints when mouse cursor is over a remote file
- Corrected a bug: when downloading files using the SFTP browser, empty directory were not downloaded
- Auto-detect FVWM2 version (if you are using FVWM2 plugin, this version is automatically selected)
- Added commandline parameter "-noX" for disabling X server at startup
- Added "Connect as..." right-click option on sessions
- Modified default shortcuts for "Find" (Ctrl+Alt+F) and "Find next" (Ctrl+F3)
- Updated documentation (New articles added in the FAQ section)
- Added "disable tools" setting in the customizer
- Added "disable macros" setting in the customizer
- Added "force access control" setting in the customizer
- Added macros import/export feature
- Added names for SSH tunnels
- Added new setting for X11 clipboard "disable copy-on-select": this setting prevents X11 clipboard from crashing when displaying some buggy applications
- Added new menu entry "Take a screenshot"
- Added new menu entry "View log file"
- Added new RDP setting "enable/disable clipboard redirection"
- Added private key setting for SFTP sessions
- Several cosmetic bugs corrected
- Added sorting feature for local browser in SFTP and FTP sessions
- Added a new option for saving a session to a file. Double-clicking on this file on another computer will allow you to launch the session.
- Added ASCII mode support for FTP sessions
- Added proxy support for FTP sessions
- Added FTPS support (FTP over SSL) for FTP sessions
- Updated Nc and Connect tools in order to allow SSH connections over SOCKS/HTTP proxies
- Added SOCKS/HTTP/Telnet proxy capabilities for SSH sessions (with SFTP browser!)

As usual, you can download this new version here: http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html and it is still portable and stealth :wink:

Thank you!

SYSTEM

#59 Post by SYSTEM »

Mobatek wrote:Hello!

We just released MobaXterm version 6.6.
In this release, we added a lot of improvements on SSH sessions, SFTP browser, RDP sessions, and SSH tunnels...
Thank you. I have updated the entry. :)

j_t

#60 Post by j_t »

Hi,
I'm having problems with the "execute command" feature in the session settings.
I just want to change directories after connecting, so I have in there: cd /dir/to/navigate/to/

It does change the directory, but my .profile doesn't get loaded - so I tried sourcing my .profile file in the command like: cd /dir/to/navigate/to/ && . /home/jt/.profile

The only thing it did was set my prompt to how I have it in my profile, but nothing else.. aliases, $PATH variable, etc.

I'm using v6.6 with AIX unix 5.3
I tried it on a Linux server too, but had the same problem. I have a log file if you need me to email it to you.

Also... I know this is a nitpick :) but when renaming multiple tabs, the first one comes up highlighted in the window where you change the name, so you can just start typing the new name and overwrite the old one. But for every tab after that, it's not highlighted and the cursor is at the left side of the text box, so you have to select the text first before you start typing

Thanks!
JT