MobaXterm - Portable X server with SSH client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Mobatek

Re: MobaXterm - Portable X server with SSH client

#31 Post by Mobatek »

Hello!

We just released a new major version of MobaXterm (6.0). Sorry sti04, we did not implement your suggestions yet (maybe for the next version), but we hope you will enjoy the new features:

- Added a TFTP server (useful for connecting to network equipments such as routers)
- Added a FTP server
- Added a HTTP server with a simple directory browsing feature
- Added macros support: you can now record a macro (all your keystrokes to the terminal are being saved) or play a saved macro. This can be used for interactive scripting, such as telnet/rlogin passwordless login and automation
- Added a new search feature inside terminals
- Added a new option for setting terminal type string (vt100, vt220, vt900, xterm, ...)
- Added keyboard shortcuts for playing macros

As usual, you can download this new version here: http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html
It is still portable and stealth.

Thank you for your feedback!

sti04

#32 Post by sti04 »

Mobatek wrote:We just released a new major version of MobaXterm (6.0). Sorry sti04, we did not implement your suggestions yet (maybe for the next version), but we hope you will enjoy the new features:

- Added macros support: you can now record a macro (all your keystrokes to the terminal are being saved) or play a saved macro. This can be used for interactive scripting, such as telnet/rlogin passwordless login and automation
That's ok, hopefully next version. Macros are ok for automating logins but aren't great for complex stuff if you want to configure them through the ini file.

Eg this is "ps -ef | grep http"
Macro 01=258:112:1638401:p|258:115:2031617:s|258:32:3735553:SPACE|258:45:786433:-|258:101:1179649:e|258:102:2162689:f|258:32:3735553:SPACE|258:124:2818049:PIPE|258:32:3735553:SPACE|258:103:2228225:g|258:114:1245185:r|258:101:1179649:e|258:112:1638401:p|258:32:3735553:SPACE|258:104:2293761:h|258:116:1310721:t|258:116:1310721:t|258:112:1638401:p|258:13:1835009:RETURN|0:0:0:SLEEPEQUAL1200|

Still great app though :)

Mobatek

#33 Post by Mobatek »

Thanks sti04!

About editing macros, you should better edit them using the graphical interface inside MobaXterm: if you right-click on the macro button "ps -ef | grep http" that is in the sidebar, you can choose "Edit". Then, you have access to a simple interface that will allow you to delete, add or modify your recorded keystrokes.

I hope this helps!

sti04

#34 Post by sti04 »

Mobatek wrote:if you right-click on the macro button "ps -ef | grep http" that is in the sidebar, you can choose "Edit". Then, you have access to a simple interface that will allow you to delete, add or modify your recorded keystrokes.
But each line is only a single keystroke so if you wanted to modify my example you have to do it by every character. If I had a long command, it could be 50+ characters to modify.

Sorry to continue the comparisions as my only reference is SecureCRT but that uses VBScript for its macros so you can make 1 and then modify it in a plain text editor. eg:

Code: Select all

#$language = "VBScript"
#$interface = "1.0"

Private Function Control(character)
Control = chr(asc(character) - 64)
End Function

Sub main
  crt.Screen.Synchronous = True
  crt.Screen.Send "ps -ef | grep http" & VbCr
  crt.Screen.WaitForString "]#"
  crt.Screen.Synchronous = False
End Sub
Just stuff to add to the wish list, I don't know how possibly it is to add this stuff technically. The application is already doing a great job. Just tabbing between ssh, rdp and x sessions is so handy

Mobatek

#35 Post by Mobatek »

Hello!

We just released a new version of MobaXterm (6.1). This is mainly a bugfix release, with some speed enhancements, but there are some new features though, like PuTTY and SCRT sessions import or GSSAPI (Kerberos) support for SSH.

Here is the full changelog:
- Added new feature: it is now possible to launch a full remote desktop (Gnome, Kde, Lxde, Fvwm2, Openbox, ...) through a SSH secure connection.
- SSH password prompt is now asked in a popup window in order for SSH connections to work even if MobaXterm is started minimized
- Added a new "Check for updates" menu entry
- Added some speed improvements (at startup and during SSH/SFTP transfers) by optimizing program multi-threading
- Added a simple SSH/SFTP server
- Added a simple telnet server
- You can now use PuTTY private keys (PPK files) in SSH sessions
- Added automatic PuTTY connections importation at MobaXterm startup with automatic conversion of PuTTY private/public key files
- You can now specify a SSH private key for SSH connection
- You can now specify a SSH private key for boucing gateway authentication
- Added GSSAPI (Kerberos5) authentication support (experimental)
- Corrected passwords saving for connections when using SSH bouncing
- Added a dropdown sessions list on the right of the sessions tab bar
- Added a new keyboard shortcut for filtering sessions (Ctrl+S by default)
- Added a short explanation of plugins creation in the documentation
- Added a short tutorial in the documentation explaning how to launch MobaXterm from a BATCH script and use advanced command line parameters
- Added network servers in the "tools" menu
- Network servers can now be started from the terminal (for instance, you can type: "service ssh restart")
- Added new options to the right-click menu of the terminal (Search in terminal, Save terminal output, print terminal output, set terminal title, fullscreen, start new macro)
- Corrected macros hotkeys which did not work in MultiExec mode
- Corrected a bug: renaming a session by left-clicking on it in the left sidebar now works correctly (new session name was not saved in version 6.0)
- Added a timestamp to history commands
- Increased minimum size for tabs
- Corrected passwords retrieving from configuration file when using MobaXterm on another computer
- Added new topics in the HowTo and the embedded documentation
- Corrected a bug: macro recording did not work in MultiExec mode

As usual, you can download this new version here: http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html

Thank you for your feedback!

SYSTEM

#36 Post by SYSTEM »

Mobatek wrote: Hello!

We just released a new version of MobaXterm (6.1). This is mainly a bugfix release, with some speed enhancements, but there are some new features though, like PuTTY and SCRT sessions import or GSSAPI (Kerberos) support for SSH.
Thank you. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

d3xt3rlab

#37 Post by d3xt3rlab »

Hi, Im having troubles with rsync after 6.1 update, this is what I get everytime I try to rsync something from any of my servers:

rsync -avv root@server:/root ./
opening connection using: ssh -l root server rsync --server --sender -vvlogDtpre.iLsf . /root
protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?
(see the rsync man page for an explanation)
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at /home/lapo/package/rsync-3.0.9-1/src/rsync-3.0.9/compat.c(174) [Receiver=3.0.9]

I think is has to be with recent changes to ssh.

I did this also:
ssh root@server /bin/true > out.dat

And got this as a return:
^[]2;^G^[]2;^G

Hope this helps to fix this issue.

Thanks.

Mobatek

#38 Post by Mobatek »

Hello d3xt3rlab,

I think you also sent your request by email, am I correct? If so, then did you receive our answer?

For other users that may experiment the same problem, you can download the latest "beta" version that solves the issue here: http://download.mobatek.net/MobaXterm.zip

Thank you very much for reporting this!

id2test

#39 Post by id2test »

I've got the exact same troubles with rsync since v6.1. The v6.0 works OK
It would be nice if this was fixed and the popup for passwords made optional so they can be entered in terminal as before v6.1

Thx. Regards, Ids.

Mobatek

#40 Post by Mobatek »

Hello id2test,

Did you try the latest beta version here: http://download.mobatek.net/MobaXterm.zip ?
This should fix the problems you describe.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Mobatek

#41 Post by Mobatek »

Hello,

We just released a new version of MobaXterm (6.2). This release adds some new cool tabs that are more intuitive than before, a lot of tooltips for inline help (especially for SSH, X11 and RDP settings), a way to export your session tree to a web page (HTML) in order for SysAdmins to share sessions across their intranet (for instance), and a new installer (but as I am writing on PortableFreeware, I should highlight that we also kept the Portable version of course :wink: ).

For sti04, we implemented 2 of your 3 suggestions ("sessions tree to remember last open session" and "reconnect" feature). We kept your 3rd suggestion for the next version.

- Added new advanced tabs with move, detach, pin, rename and scroll features (thanks to the great component TChromeTabs)
- You can now launch MobaXterm sessions from a web page: this allows Sysadmins to publish shortcuts to pre-defined sessions (SSH, XDMCP, telnet, rlogin, SFTP, FTP, ...) on the company intranet
- Improved context-sensitive help by adding several tooltips, especially for SSH, RDP and X11 session settings
- MobaXterm now remembers the last launched session and automatically selects it on startup
- Added the "ttySxx" device name at microcom startup for easy file transfers using lrzsz
- Reverted to the previous way of managing SSH passwords and passphrase: the popup asking for password is now only displayed if MobaXterm is started hidden, or if it is needed for the gateway SSH server
- Added 2 new options for reconnecting or saving session after it stopped
- Added the "balance" load balancer application
- The "newtab" command can now take arguments in order to launch commands in the new tab
- The SFTP browser is no longer launched when using scp, sftp or ssh with a non-interactive command
- Added a button for importing PuTTY and SCRT sessions
- Added a new tab menu entry for going fullscreen on the 2nd monitor
- Corrected Ctrl+Shift+V shortcut for pasting into the terminal
- Corrected some other keyboard shortcuts (especially Alt+character or Ctrl+character)
- Corrected non-printable characters in some man pages
- Corrected a bug: Ssh-agent was not working properly
- Corrected a bug: rsync did not worked correctly with ssh client
- Added a new right-click option in SFTP browser for opening files with the default associated program
- Added new X11 fonts for very big and very small text
- Added a "check for updates" option in the "About" window

Thank you!

SYSTEM

#42 Post by SYSTEM »

Mobatek wrote: Hello,

We just released a new version of MobaXterm (6.2). This release adds some new cool tabs that are more intuitive than before, a lot of tooltips for inline help (especially for SSH, X11 and RDP settings), a way to export your session tree to a web page (HTML) in order for SysAdmins to share sessions across their intranet (for instance), and a new installer (but as I am writing on PortableFreeware, I should highlight that we also kept the Portable version of course :wink: ).
Thank you. I have updated the entry. :)

Mobatek

#43 Post by Mobatek »

Hello everyone!

MobaXterm version 6.3 has just been released!
In this release, we added new daemons (NFS server and VNC server) and performed a lot of improvements/corrections.

- Added an embedded NFS server
- Added an embedded VNC server
- Added a new option to set default text editor
- Improved serial connections and added some more options by replacing the "microcom" serial client by "minicom"
- MobaXterm speed has been increased by putting configuration (INI) file parsing in memory
- Re-enabled aero "glass" effect in the title bar when using "No skin" mode
- Added new skins
- Increased SFTP browser speed by increasing default buffer size
- Corrected a bug: buttons were not placed correctly in some forms with some graphic adapters
- Added CDE as remote desktop for SSH sessions
- Added "paste" command
- Corrected a bug: tab size after detaching is now the same as it was before detaching
- Corrected some typos in documentation
- Corrected issues when using 2 SFTP browsers with same SSH gateway
- Corrected a repainting problem with multi-desktops applications like VirtuaWin or Dexpot
- Changed embedded telnet client for better compatibility
- Added a way to launch macros at startup or to create desktop shortcuts for macros
- Improved tabs controls
- Added some inline help when mouse hovers components
- Created a "reset master password" tool that can be downloaded in order to reset a master password
- Default X11 font path has been set to take new fonts (from font plugins) into account
- Sessions can now be named using special characters like []
- Fixed persistent home directory detection when home directory has been set in the customizer
- Enabled fullscreen and detached tabs transparency
- Fixed OpenGL acceleration on computers which do not support HW OpenGL: you can uncheck the "HW OpenGL acceleration" from the "Settings" window in order to use safer SW OpenGL acceleration
- Many minor improvements
- Improved documentation

Thank you!

SYSTEM

#44 Post by SYSTEM »

Mobatek wrote: Hello everyone!

MobaXterm version 6.3 has just been released!
In this release, we added new daemons (NFS server and VNC server) and performed a lot of improvements/corrections.
Thank you. Entry updated. :)

Mobatek

#45 Post by Mobatek »

Thank you, it is very impressive to see how fast you update the entry when I post to this forum!
Really, thank you for your work on PortableFreeware, we really appreciate your work.