PeStudio

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
rhapdog

Re: PeStudio

#16 Post by rhapdog »

I'm having the same issues as Ascend4nt. Using the 6.89 version. Only difference is being that I have a link to "Lookup at VirusTotal", which does nothing when clicked.

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, SP1.

I have Visual Studio 2012 installed, which installed MS C++ runtimes for x86 and x64 for 2005, 2008, 2010. I only have x64 runtime for 2012.

guinness

#17 Post by guinness »

I haven't got that error either, strange.

Ascend4nt

#18 Post by Ascend4nt »

rhapdog wrote:I'm having the same issues as Ascend4nt. Using the 6.89 version. Only difference is being that I have a link to "Lookup at VirusTotal", which does nothing when clicked.

Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, SP1.

I have Visual Studio 2012 installed, which installed MS C++ runtimes for x86 and x64 for 2005, 2008, 2010. I only have x64 runtime for 2012.
I just tested v6.89, and I now see the "Lookup at VirusTotal" message as well.

I tried debugging the program and gave preliminary results to the author, but he's ignoring the problem and I suspect its because most people just delete the program and don't report the problems. Also, the runtimes actually don't matter, as I confirmed it is statically linked to the Visual C++ libraries.

If possible, please send an email to the author. If enough people report the problem, maybe he'll consider hunting down and fixing the bugs.

Ascend4nt

#19 Post by Ascend4nt »

Regarding PEStudio's crashes or non-working GUI (as rhapdog reported), I've found a solution - at least to my problem. I'm not entirely sure how this is related to PEStudio, as the DLL I talk about does not appear in PEStudio's loaded-modules list.. but anyway, here's the scoop:

There is a registry key with this path:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\idr20009.dll
Under that registry key, the '(Default)' name had a value of 'idr2009.dll', rather than a complete qualified path to the DLL file. Also, the 'Path' name had no value.

To resolve this, I located the DLL, which happens to be part of a Borland Database Engine installation, at the following location:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE\idr20009.dll
To repair the Registry entry, I copied that complete path and inserted it as the '(Default)' value under the registry path above. I also assigned the directory path to the 'Path' value (this means stripping off the 'idr20009.dll' part of the path)

After fixing this issue, PEStudio is working fine.

I found this after using Process Monitor and looking at what failed during startup. It pointed me to that key, which led me to search for the file. I'm not sure where the dependency for that file lies, but I do recall having Embarcadero C++ Builder installed for a short while, which I believe installed the Borland Database Engine. Still, its odd as I fully uninstalled that program.

Another odd thing, PEStudio would crash with a message about the CRT runtime, unless I had ATI Tray Tools running, which would actually cause a non-functional GUI to show up, as rhapdog noted. Very peculiar behavior.

Thanks SysInternals for their awesome monitoring tool for letting me diagnose and fix this problem (as well as the f'in ATI 'AMD Overdrive' issue I was originally out to sort)

I'd really like to know what the heck is loading that DLL.. if anyone has a clue let me know! Otherwise, this matter is settled for me. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem

rhapdog

#20 Post by rhapdog »

Thanks for that info, Ascend4nt. I also have installed (currently) Embarcadero C++ Builder, and I use an ATI graphics card but have disabled the ATI Tray Tools. Perhaps my problems are the same.

I'll check it out.

Strange for PE Studio to behave in such a way over 3rd party programs, though.

marc ochsenmeier

#21 Post by marc ochsenmeier »

Thank you very much for using PeStudio and the details provided, I really appreciated that.

This issue has been actually fixed starting with PeStudio 7.30.

Ascend4nt

#22 Post by Ascend4nt »

Huh, how about that:
Version 7.30
. Handle malformed or empty App Paths entries
That explains why that key was triggering errors and crashes!

Thanks for the update marc!

__philippe

#23 Post by __philippe »

marc ochsenmeier wrote:Thank you very much for using PeStudio and the details provided, I really appreciated that.
PEstudio - command-prompt usage (for die-hard CLI eyes only)

Bonjour Marc,...;-)

How about fixing that annoying command prompt glitch, whereby invoking Pestudio from the command prompt, as in "pestudio typical.exe', does indeed launch Pestudio,
but fails to load "typical.exe" in the "Executable Image" top left input box?

BTW, this command line invocation used to work fine many, many moons ago (I lost track as of which version it stopped working its magic, unfortunately)...:-(

Cheers,

__philippe

rhapdog

#24 Post by rhapdog »

I can confirm that version 7.31 (the one I downloaded this morning) is working with my install of Win7 64-bit.

However, the non-resizeable window is rather irritating. Please fix that.

__philippe

#25 Post by __philippe »

__philippe wrote:
marc ochsenmeier wrote:Thank you very much for using PeStudio and the details provided, I really appreciated that.
PEstudio - command-prompt usage (for die-hard CLI eyes only)
Bonjour Marc,...;-)
How about fixing that annoying command prompt glitch, whereby invoking Pestudio from the command prompt, as in "pestudio typical.exe', does indeed launch Pestudio,
but fails to load "typical.exe" in the "Executable Image" top left input box?
BTW, this command line invocation used to work fine many, many moons ago (I lost track as of which version it stopped working its magic, unfortunately)...:-(
Cheers,
__philippe
Marc,

Apologies for my unwarranted grumble above:

The command prompt "Pestudio -file:typical.exe" is now working fine again in v7.31, (and has been since v7.30, according to the changelog)
(note, however, the rather superfluous but mandatory "-file:" directive)

Thanks for the fix.

BTW, congrats for publishing the PEstudioHandbook; promising prelude towards a full-fledged user manual ...;-)
http://www.winitor.com/tools/PeStudioHandbook.pdf

Cheers,

__philippe

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

A striking case of interface regression? Had an old v3.61 and was quite shocked when I opened the latest v7.58... :shock:

Special

#27 Post by Special »

A new version came out today, first thing I did was look at the changelog, it looks like (haven't tried it yet) there's now a Standard / Pro version, with lots of features striped out of the Standard version to make the Pro version stand out.

Say it ain't so.

joby_toss

#28 Post by joby_toss »

Was just about to write the same...
Here is a .pdf file pointing the differences: https://www.winitor.com/tools/pestudio/ ... rsions.pdf
Don't know yet if the missing features from the free version were stripped or if the pro version was the only one to get the new features...
Link for v8.51 is still available for now.
I don't mind the new direction (was kinda' expecting it), but I don't quite understand what one's got to do to get the pro version...

billon

#29 Post by billon »

Looks like there is indeed some missing features in comparison with previous freeware versions
They still can be downloaded here
Should we update it, i don't know
What if dev will remove them in the future?

__philippe

#30 Post by __philippe »

joby_toss wrote:.... but I don't quite understand what one's got to do to get the pro version...
There is an order form to be filled at the tail end of https://www.winitor.com/

Incidentally, the new PEstudio v8.52 is regrettably marred anew by an old bug,
whereby the command prompt usage "Pestudio file:-typical.exe" is broken yet again :roll:

(It is working fine in previous v8.51)