AllDup [& discontinued GetFoldersize]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

AllDup [& discontinued GetFoldersize]

#1 Post by guinness »

[Mod note: the present is the official forum topic for both AlDup and GetFoldersize; respectively at https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1791 and https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1793. Topic subject edited, original was "GetFoldersize & AllDup"]

GetFoldersize > http://www.getfoldersize.com/en_download.htm
AllDup > http://www.getfoldersize.com/en_download.htm

Tested: Portable

Note: Could those who like testing, please check if you have the same conclusion?

infimum

Re: GetFoldersize & AllDup

#2 Post by infimum »

I can confirm that. If you add them to the database, please don't forget mark them as "Unicode support: No".

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

OK.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

* The portable version of AllDup doesn't support Windows XP without any Service Pack installed and Microsoft Windows 2000.
* The portable Version of GetFoldersize don't support Windows XP without any Service Pack installed and Microsoft Windows 2000.
I lik'em.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

Yeh thanks joby_toss! I forgot to mention that. Though it's a little worrying if someone is using XP without a Service Pack. I had the chance to use a machine which had XP SP1 and found that when I dragged a file into a folder it created a shortcut and didn't move/copy the file.

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

GetFolderSize Added To TPFC: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1793
Vote Now!

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

Could you please add a screenshot like this so the users get more info about the program?

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

Updated Entry!

Midas

Re: AllDup

#10 Post by Midas »

There's an excellent AllDup review from Ghacks.net:

AllDup is a powerful duplicate file finder for Windows
https://www.ghacks.net/2015/03/10/alldu ... r-windows/

Considering the present is also the official forum topic, here's the generic info...

http://www.alldup.de/alldup_help/alldup.htm wrote:AllDup is a freeware tool for searching and removing file duplicates on your computer. The fast search algorithm find duplicates of any file type, e.g., text, pictures, music or movies. The powerful search engine enables you to find duplicates with a combination of the following criteria: file name, file extension, file size, file content, last modified date, create date, file attributes and hard links.
Last edited by Midas on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

smaragdus

Re: AllDup 4.0.5

#11 Post by smaragdus »

AllDup at version 4.0.5, downloads and changes:
  • NEW: Search Result / Context Menu 'File': Add the command 'Rename file'.
  • UPD: Command-Line: Folder paths without space(s) don't have to be enclosed in double-quotes anymore.
  • UPD: Now you can use the hotkey F4 to start the search for duplicates.
  • UPD: Profile List, Source Folder List and Search Result List: Now you can use the hotkey F2 to rename items.
  • UPD: Search Result: The created picture preview of a group will be cached until a new group is selected.
  • UPD: Search Result List: Added the columns 'Duplicates' and 'Search Criteria'.
  • (!!!): The stored search results of the previous version can't be loaded anymore.
  • FIX: Various optimizations have been introduced in various sections of AllDup. Various bugs have been fixed.
I am using an older installer version and I have a question- does AllDup Portable offer shell integration?

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

Install version has this:

Portable version has this:

To enable the shell extension (not a portable option, obviously), do the following:
- get the installer version "AllDupSetup.exe" and extract it using UE
- go to the "AllDupSetup\{commonappdata}\AllDup" folder and copy the files "FastExplorer,3.ini" and "FEShlExt,2.dll" (for 64 bit OS) into your "AllDupPortable" folder
- rename them to "FastExplorer.ini" and "FEShlExt.dll"
- edit the file "FastExplorer.ini" by adding "AllDupPortable.exe's" path wherever necessary (lines like "IconFile1=" and "ApplicationX=")
- register the "FEShlExt.dll" to the system using the "regsvr32" command

smaragdus

Re: AllDup

#13 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss
Thanks for the thorough write-up! I have an older version installed. I ran the latest portable version and I saw the disabled shell-integration but I thought that my installation might be preventing it. There are portable programs that can be easily added to/removed from shell, so I supposed that this might be the case with AllDup. Your procedure is valuable but I think I will continue with the installed version. For duplicate finders for me shell integration is indispensable. Anyway, AllDup is one of my greatest favourites, I use it daily and for me it is the best of its class. Once again- thank you very much for taking your time to provide such a detailed answer to my question, I appreciate it very much!

billon

#14 Post by billon »

As mentioned by Specular in the entry's comments, GetFoldersize site redirects to TreeSize comparison page.
GetFoldersize belonged to Michael Thummerer Software Design from Chonburi, Thailand (???), which is also the author(?) of AllDup.
TreeSize belongs to JAM Software, which "was founded in 1997 in Trier (Germany) by Joachim Marder"
What happened? JAM Software bought GetFoldersize and killed it? Michael Thummerer = Joachim Marder? :shock:
Anyway, I linked GetFoldersize to Archive.org, but also wonder, what can possible will happen with AllDup?

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

billon wrote:Anyway, I linked GetFoldersize to Archive.org, but also wonder, what can possible will happen with AllDup?
Well I don't see anything in terms of a license restricting redistribution so it should be possible to mirror the download in the event that the site is taken down.