DocFetcher - File Content Indexer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
qforce

Re: File Content Indexers - DocFetcher

#31 Post by qforce »

@Emka:
I tried launching DocFetcher from a different partition (a mounted TrueCrypt volume, actually), but no problem with the .swt folder.
What happens if you launch DocFetcher from the same partition, e.g. from the Desktop?

I will check this again the next time I get my hands on a Windows 7 box, but it will take a while.

Emka

#32 Post by Emka »

This also happens when I launch it from the desktop.

Emka

#33 Post by Emka »

Now that's strange:
I deleted DocFetcher altogether and downloaded and unzipped it again. I started it, indexed my files and closed it. There is no .swt folder in my user profile any more.
The difference to my earlier tries is that yesterday and the times before I always used to overwrite my older DocFetcher version with the new one. I do not see how, but maybe this could have played a role.

qforce

#34 Post by qforce »

@Emka: This makes a lot of sense, actually. The thing about Java programs is that the program parts are contained in jar files, which are found and loaded dynamically. So if you simply unpack your DocFetcher versions on top of one another, you'll end up with a mix of jar files from different program versions. And because the jars are loaded dynamically, the running program ends up being a "mix" of old and new parts. And that's why the .swt folder ended up being recreated! :-)

Emka

#35 Post by Emka »

OK, didn't know that.
So it was all my fault. Sorry for the trouble.

qforce

#36 Post by qforce »

@Emka: Nah, it's okay. Thanks to you, I've actually learned something new about where certain types of program errors might come from. :-)

webfork

#37 Post by webfork »

Version 1.2 is out - http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/download.html Works great so far. Very happy about this.

Emka

#38 Post by Emka »

v1.1.3 is out.
BTW, since I should not simply overwrite the files when a new version is out, how can I avoid recreating my index with every program update?

qforce

#39 Post by qforce »

@ Emka: How about copying the "conf" and "indexes" folders into the new DocFetcher folder?

webfork

#40 Post by webfork »

Emka wrote:since I should not simply overwrite the files when a new version is out, how can I avoid recreating my index with every program update?
Historically, they don't update very often (this last quick jump from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 was very unusual) but agree with qforce: extract portable version and copy over those directories.

Emka

#41 Post by Emka »

v1.1.5 is out:
2012-11-28 - DocFetcher 1.1.5
Bugfixes
Bug #412: Mac OS X application bundle failed to launch outside the mounted disk image due to permission issues.

2012-11-12 - DocFetcher 1.1.4
Features
The paths to the settings and indexes files can be customized through the file misc\paths.txt.
Bugfixes
Bug #374: IndexOutOfBoundsException crash on some Outlook PST files.
Bug #369: AssertionError crash when closing the indexing dialog after indexing.
Bug #397: Crash on Outlook PST files containing e-mails without last-modified field.
Bug #408: Crash when trying to index archives containing files whose names contain characters that are not supported on the current platform. For example, filenames may contain the ':' character on Linux, but not on Windows.
Bug #371 and #395: The “Store relative path” option on the indexing dialog was broken.
Bug #390: Crash when searching in an empty folder hierarchy, i.e. a folder hierarchy containing no indexable files.
Bug #3496769: Crash when trying to index an extremely deep folder hierarchy.
Bug #3534802: Expanding a folder in the Search Scope area while an indexing process is running in the background sometimes crashed the program.
Bug #399: Portable DocFetcher failed to launch if it was moved between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

The updates are excellent. Got a chance to test out the PST search functions and the 1.1.5 version and very impressed. This is rapidly becoming my go-to search program. However, I'm still getting an error on my Win7x64 box when I try to delete/move a file that (I'm guessing) the program has indexed:

"This action cant' be completed because the file is open in Java(TM) Platform SE binary. Close the file and try again."

I have to close both the program AND Java (via the Task Manager) to make the change. However, after doing that, the program doesn't seem to start any longer.

I'll see about submitting something to the DEVs about this but wanted to check if anyone else had seen this.

Update: posted to their site

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

Version 1.7 is out and so far it looks great.
  • Can dynamically add indexing locations (without tripping over them)
  • Works better with Outlook PST than previous versions
  • I don't know if this was here before, but the ability to search JPEG, MP3, and FLAC metadata was very nice. I think this is the first time I've seen that functionality in a search program.
  • HTML viewer worked well on the documents I tested and has an integrated browser to view links. You can turn this functionality on or off, as well as a button to open in an external browser.
I already really needed this program for a long time but largely just tried to dodge it's bugs. Now for the first time I really like it as well. Great news.

Problems
  • Unfortunately, I'm STILL getting a Java error when I try to move any files while the program is running. The workaround (close DocFetcher) isn't preferable, but does the trick.
  • For Outlook, it didn't catch some items in my Sent folder but I have sort of an odd setup so that may not be a DocFetcher issue.

Wishlist
  • In the "Document Types" window along with check, uncheck, and invert, I'd like to see "Microsoft, OpenOffice, and 'other'"

webfork

Re: DocFetcher - File Content Indexer

#44 Post by webfork »

Version 1.9 is out: http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/download.html

Changelog: http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/ ... 10899.html
  • Outlook indexing is not restricted to PST files anymore
  • Excel 2007 files were not properly closed after indexing
Love this program.

Edit: This program helped me answer a VERY difficult documentation search question about verbiage used over a year and a half ago. So lucky.

Emka

Re: DocFetcher - File Content Indexer

#45 Post by Emka »

v1.1.11 is out