DocFetcher - File Content Indexer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Emka

Re: File Content Indexers - DocFetcher

#16 Post by Emka »

Beta 5 is available, still leaves said folder on Win7x64.

qforce

#17 Post by qforce »

Emka wrote:Beta 5 is available, still leaves said folder on Win7x64.
1) This is the standard behavior of "SWT", DocFetcher's GUI library, and I don't think the SWT team is going to change that anytime soon.

2) What's the big deal with this anyway?

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

qforce wrote:
1) This is the standard behavior of "SWT", DocFetcher's GUI library, and I don't think the SWT team is going to change that anytime soon.

• 1: Bummer. I've been trying for a while to push Java programs here on the site and if that continues to be the case (combined with bad stewardship by Oracle), its likely they'll see even less interest.

2: What's ideal is for programs to behave in a self-contained way, unless saving to the system TEMP directories. If settings are included in the SWT, we wouldn't consider that portable.

SYSTEM

#19 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
qforce wrote:

1: Bummer. I've been trying for a while to push Java programs here on the site and if that continues to be the case (combined with bad stewardship by Oracle), its likely they'll see even less interest.
SWT is not the only GUI widget toolkit for Java. There is also Swing which, unlike SWT, is bundled with the JRE.

@qforce: Is it possible to remove the directory on exit?
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

qforce

#20 Post by qforce »

webfork wrote:1: Bummer. I've been trying for a while to push Java programs here on the site and if that continues to be the case (combined with bad stewardship by Oracle), its likely they'll see even less interest.
I did a bit of research on this. Turns out there's an undocumented Java system property named "swt.library.path" that allows you to change the directory to which the SWT DLLs are extracted. Haven't figured out yet how to use this, though.
SYSTEM wrote:@qforce: Is it possible to remove the directory on exit?
Theoretically yes, but if you did, the program would re-extract the DLLs each time it starts, slowing down the start process.

qforce

#21 Post by qforce »

webfork wrote: If settings are included in the SWT, we wouldn't consider that portable.
Nope, the SWT directory doesn't contain settings, just libraries that make up the GUI of the program.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

DocFetcher looks like its still in progress (at this writing 1.1 beta 6). Claims portability and has a lot of portable features (including relative index file use). However, unlike the stable build, there is no specific “portable” version so more testing/digging would be required here. Also, evidently not very 64-bit friendly yet, which might be the perfect opportunity to try and integrate jPortable or whatever WinPenPack calls their Java version.

When I get a window, I'll look into this further. The PST analysis and support for various Microsoft formats makes this a lot faster and more effective for me than Win7's own search.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/docfetc ... ocfetcher/

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Also, evidently not very 64-bit friendly yet, which might be the perfect opportunity to try and integrate jPortable or whatever WinPenPack calls their Java version.
Recently got very frustrated with Windows 7 search and pulled in DocFetcher -- works beautifully. I still haven't ironed out the (no)install process or tested the Outlook search tool, but this is still some fantastic software.

qforce

#24 Post by qforce »

DocFetcher 1.1 is out (not beta anymore), and the .swt folder with the DLL files is gone.

Edit: Actually, the .swt folder is not gone, but in the portable DocFetcher edition it's created inside the DocFetcher folder. So it still qualifies as "portable".

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

spillej wrote:I have tried the portable version of Wilma from http://drop.io/wilmaportable and it works.
Wilma Portable Drop.io download link is dead. Any alternatives? TiA,

Emka

#26 Post by Emka »

qforce wrote:Edit: Actually, the .swt folder is not gone, but in the portable DocFetcher edition it's created inside the DocFetcher folder. So it still qualifies as "portable".
Did you do anything for this to happen? What system are you using? I still get this folder in my user profile on Win7x64. (I have Java installed, not a portablized version.)

qforce

#27 Post by qforce »

@Emka:
I didn't do anything special, I just downloaded and used the portable DocFetcher 1.1.2 release. (Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/docfetc ... her/1.1.2/)
If you're still seeing the .swt folder in your user profile, maybe it's because it's a left-over from a previous installation or from another program that uses SWT. Try deleting the .swt folder and restarting DocFetcher to see if the .swt folder is recreated.
My system: Windows XP 32-bit (really old, I know) with Java 6.

Emka

#28 Post by Emka »

I tried it again with 1.1.1 and with 1.1.2 and the folder was recreated after deletion.

qforce

#29 Post by qforce »

@Emka:
This is strange... Does DocFetcher do anything suspicious on startup, such as displaying a message window or something like that?
What's your system configuration?
What's the exact path of the recreated .swt folder?
What's inside the recreated .swt folder?

When I launch up portable DocFetcher 1.1.2, the following files get created inside the DocFetcher folder:
  • DocFetcher-1.1.2\lib\swt\swt-gdip-win32-3735.dll
    DocFetcher-1.1.2\lib\swt\swt-win32-3735.dll
Does anybody else have any luck with this?

Emka

#30 Post by Emka »

No message or anything else suspicious on startup.
I run DocFetcher from a different partition than the system.
The path of DocFetcher is D:\Programs\DocFetcher
The path of said folder is C:\User\"MyUserName"\.swt\lib\win32\x86
Inside it are the two files you mentioned.