FileHippo.com Update Checker

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dfinf2

Filehippo Update Checker

#1 Post by dfinf2 »

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

It checks installed software to see if they need to be updated then provides links to the newer file on filehippo.com (of course)

Its a .exe but doesn't need to be installed.

Kosher-X

FileHippo updater

#2 Post by Kosher-X »

There is a standalone file for the updater here
http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/ ... hecker.exe

But it seems to write information in the registry, since I tried to use a browser from the pen-drive instead one locally installed in my PC, and that adjust was replicated in the updater installed in my PC.

spaztastic

#3 Post by spaztastic »

i was having problems with the standalone updater and the new one that comes with a setup file. i keep getting an error message, but no worries. i use SUMo to find out if i need to update any of my software

kruch001

FileHippo.com Update Checker

#4 Post by kruch001 »

I've seen this in the archives, but it was a couple years ago and didn't see whether it was portable. There is a portable version that comes in a zip file. Not sure about changes to registry. I've been looking for something like this for awhile that is portable. It gave me results in about 2 seconds and links to download updates. Very useful.
Mike

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

joby_toss

Re: FileHippo.com Update Checker

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Writes settings to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\FileHippo.com\Update Checker] and requires .Net Framework version 2.0.

One major problem I see is that there is no "Pause" function.
Last edited by joby_toss on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

I like it for the simplicity of the application and ease of use, but WebVersions is more versatile and customisable than FileHippo Update Checker.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: recently came back to this one. I can open it via 7-zip but it's not portable and adware.
  • Only works with installed apps. I couldn't get it to work with anything portable.
  • When you click download and run on something, it really does that. While this is happening, the program is otherwise static apart from a "download" button on other programs.
Needless to say, there's no useful gold to mine here.