Portable Application Launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.

How do you this portable application launcher?

very good
60%
good
20%
moderate
No votes
don't like it
20%

Total votes: 5

wirrerork

Portable Application Launcher

#1 Post by wirrerork »

I have written a portable application launcher i would like to submit to your database. It's available in english and german. The download is available from http://www.download.irohde.de/index.php ... =2&lang=en. I am also very interested in your feedback.

Among the features are:
  • view applications as tree or as browsable list
  • favorites
  • search
  • PAF File installation
  • easy to use; suitable for large collections of programs
  • tray icon with menu
  • snap to the edge of the screen; stay on top
  • hide 64bit application in a 32bit environment; (optionally) hide programs for private use at work
  • scan a folder for executables, notes, coundown, counter, drive info, eject usb stick, create autorun.inf file, run programs only once, remembers window size, organize by drag and drop, ...

Details: The Launcher itself is portable. Writes settings to: application folder. Stealth: Yes; Unicode support: No; Licence: Freeware; System Requirements: WinXP, Vista, Win7

Napiophelios

Re: Portable Application Launcher

#2 Post by Napiophelios »

How do I change/dismiss the background image?

The Notes section is way too small.
It ejected my usb wireless adapter on exit :lol:

Its pretty nice compared to most PAF menus more concerned with logo display and trademark visibility.
I like it.
TY :D

wirrerork

#3 Post by wirrerork »

Thanks for your reply. Uploaded a new version: * bigger notes section (download new version, create new notes frame). * option to disable the background image (menu icon -> View -> disable image) * eject-feature is done by the windows eject hardware dialog. do not selection your wireless adapter there. also: exit button does not eject.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Please, translate the tray icon menu!

wirrerork

#5 Post by wirrerork »

ok, i have translated the icon menu (oops).

ashghost

#6 Post by ashghost »

Here are some things I notice:

1. The CountDown module can only be set by date, and it only counts to the beginning (midnight) of the selected date.

2. The drive usage color scheme confused me - because the gray is so much lighter than the green, I thought the gray represented empty space and the green was showing used space. I had to compare with the display in "My Computer" to check, because I was originally going to comment that you had placed them opposite to most programs (with used space on the right).

3. Tooltips for the buttons would be very welcome (especially since there's no documentation). I had no idea that the red "X" in the modules menu would clear all of the modules. You might use the single "X" for a single deletion, and an icon with multiple "X"s for "Remove all". That's a dangerous button - if I've typed several notes, I don't want to accidentally delete them all because I hit the wrong button when trying to remove one.

4. The "Add file..." menu item merely adds a function by browsing for a file. I think it would be better if you renamed "Add file..." to "Browse for file.." and renamed "Add Function..." to "Add item..." (or "Add file...").

5. I don't understand the purpose of the last button under the search bar. It seems to collapse all in the tree view, and nothing else. It would be nice to be able to "expand all" and "collapse all" (per folder, not just globally).

6. Does the first button (the upward-pointing triangle) under the search bar do anything, or is it for an as-yet-unimplemented feature?

7. I ran the program from F:\UninstalledApps\Launch\ and it created the file "Apps.xml" both in that folder and in F:\Downloads\, perhaps because I tried out the "install paf package" feature, and the paf.exe was located in my downloads folder.

8. After I used the "Scan for executables" feature, Sandboxie reports that all of the .ico files in the directory I scanned had been modified. This doesn't seem like polite behavior.

9. It would be nice to be able to have the "Scan for executables" feature to dump all the items into one folder, rather than retaining the folder structure on the drive.

My favorite things:
  • favorites quick launch
    "add function" templates
    having a countdown timer included a program I'd always have running anyway (if I could set it properly, of course)
    Rich text notes (which would be even better if they had an export feature)
Despite my comments and interest, you'll have a tough time pulling me away from PStart. I've put so much work into organizing my database of about 300 applications in it that unless a new launcher can import these, I won't be starting over. The ability to scan a folder helps, but so many programs include .exe files that are called by the main .exe - I'd have to delete those, plus I'd still have to sort them into categories. The funny thing is, I use Launchy about 98% of the time - I only use PStart if I can't remember which app had what feature and I need to look at a list of apps with similar functions.

Great job being responsive to the comments so far!

wirrerork

#7 Post by wirrerork »

Thanks for your interest.
1. The Countdown module can handle time now.
2. other colors do not fit into my color scheme, sorry
3. yes, you are right. I had not yet time to do that. I disabled the clear button for now.
4. i did rename it. all captions can be changed in the launch.en file
5. it filters all files you mark as "noncommercial use".
6. it moves one folder up.
7. i fixed that bug. plz download new version.
8. you are right. I changed that behavior.
9. i agree, that would be a good feature. I had not yet time to do that.
PStart is a very good program. An PStart import feature would be great, yes. Maybe in a later on version.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

Whenever I add a new executable, the wrong icon is displayed for it.
The program always shows ".\app.ico" for ".\app.exe" although the icon is not present (99% of the time). It should read the icon from the .exe directly.
win7x64

wirrerork

#9 Post by wirrerork »

plz try to download the latest version and delete settings.xml.

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

'Just did; same thing.

Code: Select all

Launch.exe
file version 1.0.0.123
md5=bdcb875c2b1911f715ab540b994a6017

wirrerork

#11 Post by wirrerork »

did you delete settings.xml before starting the program? Version number should now be 1.0.2.124

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

wirrerork wrote:did you delete settings.xml before starting the program? Version number should now be 1.0.2.124
No settings, fresh download:

Code: Select all

file version 1.0.2.124
md5=26bd7f3e268702886017d72ef9076d98
video preview (730 KB)

wirrerork

#13 Post by wirrerork »

ok, i see. it's because fastcopy.ico exists within the same directory as fastcopy.exe. delete fastcopy.ico and it will work just fine.
If an icon file exists, the program will read it instead of the application. This is a feature, since reading ico files may be faster than extracting the application icon.

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

I won't delete my .ico file, but I will delete the icon's path from the item's properties dialog.
It does the trick, just an extra step I have to take.

Never realized I have that .ico file. I guess this was one of that 1%... :)
Sorry for the trouble!

wirrerork

#15 Post by wirrerork »

thanks for your effort.