Unlocker - manage unmovable files

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
donald

Re: Unlocker 1.8.8 - might now be portable (has a zip download)

#31 Post by donald »

_-_ I have no idea how you are adding a shortcut to the Send To dialogue and would like to know.

I would like to ask if you are using a standard shortcut? Or are you using a batch/compiled Batch to launch this program.

Since you are using a hopefully portable program, would not the drive letter change?

Have you considered using Lupo 73's Coffe (a CaffeMod debugged, improved, etc )

This may be a little clumsy for what you are doing but maybe it could work, and be truly portable.

For this I would think you might use the secondary association function, and or ask for a special request to Lupo 73.

Coffee currently has a associate all with host option available, if this could be upgraded or added to to allow associate all with ?Program?, or if such an associate all with ?Program? option could be added well ... here is hoping it would be possible.

Also a Send to Dialogue might be another function that could be tried, perhaps double click to open (as it is), and middle click or hot-key single click (highlight and single click to do a lot of files) and then a send to dialogue from coffee using the programs you prefer from flash, or host.

(Will re-post this suggestion to Lupo 73's Coffee thread.)

-.-

#32 Post by -.- »

i just make a shortcut and move it to the SendTo folder :S

Im using it because I dont want to install anything... lol, not that I need it to be portable, just dont like installing things

donald

#33 Post by donald »

Please note in Vista the location is changed
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows
But this is a very neat trick.

Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps a .bat or .cmd file could be written to deliver drive specific shortcuts for specific applications to this folder and then delete them on flash exit.

Probably it should use a .ini or .txt to find the named applications to use, though that is just wishful thinking.

Lupo73

#34 Post by Lupo73 »

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to improve a feature like this. The only idea could be to contact the author of Unlocker (I messaged with him some time ago, when he authorized me to publish his software) and we could ask him to improve a portable version of the program.

Lupo73

#35 Post by Lupo73 »

Has someone tested the new official portable version of it? Because on the software page is reported that is portable and the software itself works in a different mode to the normal version, to avoid the context menu association.

-.-

#36 Post by -.- »

been using it since i saw this post, everything works fine, even reformatted my hdd too because of something else and it still works

CodesAway

#37 Post by CodesAway »

I've been unable to use it. I just tried it out using drag/drop, but it wouldn't work.

I'm using Vista, so after I dropped the file, it asked me if I trust the program. I said I did, but it did nothing.

I use FreeCommander for my explorer, so i was going to set it up as one of my favorite tools, to allow me to unlock the selected file. This would allow the program to be portable (since FreeCommander supports relate paths).

However, I can't figure out how to use Unlocker portable and get it to run. I presume the program supports drag/drop, which would me to call it from FreeCommander, since drag/drop just passes the file name as a parameter. However, I can't figure out how to enable drag/drop.

Can someone walk me through the steps you took?

m^(2)

#38 Post by m^(2) »

CodesAway wrote:I've been unable to use it. I just tried it out using drag/drop, but it wouldn't work.

I'm using Vista, so after I dropped the file, it asked me if I trust the program. I said I did, but it did nothing.

I use FreeCommander for my explorer, so i was going to set it up as one of my favorite tools, to allow me to unlock the selected file. This would allow the program to be portable (since FreeCommander supports relate paths).

However, I can't figure out how to use Unlocker portable and get it to run. I presume the program supports drag/drop, which would me to call it from FreeCommander, since drag/drop just passes the file name as a parameter. However, I can't figure out how to enable drag/drop.

Can someone walk me through the steps you took?
Is it Vista x64?
Unlocker doesn't work on x64 systems.

CodesAway

#39 Post by CodesAway »

m^(2) wrote:Is it Vista x64?
Unlocker doesn't work on x64 systems.
No, I have Vista 32-bit.

guinness

#40 Post by guinness »

What has happened to the Unlocker website ... http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ccol ... /unlocker/ Obviously its easy to find a download of V1.8.8, but curious if a new website has been created?

m^(2)

#41 Post by m^(2) »

guinness wrote:What has happened to the Unlocker website ... http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ccol ... /unlocker/ Obviously its easy to find a download of V1.8.8, but curious if a new website has been created?
4 days ago it was fine.

donald

#42 Post by donald »

I also do not know what has happened, but if anyone wants to find out here is an email address
I will email and post any results here.

guinness

#43 Post by guinness »

Still down! This is sad because its such a great piece of Software.

CodesAway

#44 Post by CodesAway »

guinness wrote:its such a great piece of Software.
Yeah. I was able to verify that the portable version does work on a computer that doesn't have Unlocker installed (not sure if it's stealth). I don't know if it's possible to install the shell extension and remove it on close, but my setup works for me. I have Unlocker as one of my "favorite tools" in FreeCommander. So, I can easily unlock a file/folder from within FreeCommander (which is what I use instead of Windows Explorer) by selecting the file and pressing the Unlocker icon.

MiDoJo

#45 Post by MiDoJo »

Site's back up now
Sorry for the downtime!
I had a hard time fixing my account while being in holidays in France for a while. To prevent similar issues in the future, I am establishing a full website mirror here: http://cedrick.collomb.perso.sfr.fr/unlocker/. I am also looking for a better and more permanent hosting solution. If you have any hosting tips, feel free to email me at ccollomb@yahoo.com.