Foxit Reader - PDF viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Andrew Lee

Re: Foxit Reader 3.1

#31 Post by Andrew Lee »

We should change the database to point to this version ... what do you think :?:
I second that!

ashghost

Re: Foxit Reader V3.1.3.1030

#32 Post by ashghost »

Andrew Lee wrote:
We should change the database to point to this version ... what do you think :?:
I second that!
Done, but I put a link to the last "official" zip release in the description.

Checker

Re: Foxit Reader 3.1

#33 Post by Checker »

Lupo73

Foxit Reader 4.0

#34 Post by Lupo73 »

This new release is available and given that it is a major update (now more similar to PDF-XChange Viewer because includes advanced features for free), it may needs tests to verify if is officially portable again or not. Anyway this update make the software even more powerful and complete. Really one of the best solutions of pdf readers.

I am Baas

Re: Foxit Reader 4.0

#35 Post by I am Baas »

Not Portable.

Writes to the registry @
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\LANGUAGE
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\MainFrame
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Panels_2
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Recent File List
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Settings
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.Document\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FoxitReader.FDFDoc\shell\open\command
Creates a folder @ Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Foxit Software

webfork

Re: Foxit portable pdf reader & url of huge portable fw data

#36 Post by webfork »

I really thought PDF-XChange was the only PDF program on the site I'd ever really use, but this program has come a LONG way since I last tested it. One big win for me is that it supports an Adobe "Portfolio" format that certainly don't recommend, but use quite a bit.

PDF-XChange still does a few things this doesn't (export to image, outstanding search program) so obviously having both is ideal.

I do wish there was a Mac client, but given some of the excellent Mac PDF viewers (Skim is my overall favorite PDF viewer) I'm not surprised.

Emka

Re: Foxit Reader - PDF viewer

#37 Post by Emka »

I got the PA version because I had to fill in PDF forms, which my usual PDF viewer SumatraPDF can't do. However I noticed that, while I can't see any of the registry entries Baas mentioned above, v8.10.1013 leaves a folder in AppDate/Roaming on Win10, despite the portable wrapper.

joby_toss

#38 Post by joby_toss »

No leftovers on my win 10. Try to delete that folder and see if it reappears after using the app. Might be a leftover from a glitch (bad app stopping, system crash etc.).

Emka

#39 Post by Emka »

joby_toss wrote:Try to delete that folder and see if it reappears after using the app.
I did so several times and it kept reappearing. I finally deleted Foxit and downloaded it again. Now it works. Weird.

webfork

#40 Post by webfork »

Emka wrote: v8.10.1013 leaves a folder in AppDate/Roaming on Win10, despite the portable wrapper.
Confirmed -- good catch. I'll retest this weekend with a fresh copy and see if it happens again on a fresh install. No point in submitting a bug report if they've already fixed it.

JohnTHaller

#41 Post by JohnTHaller »

If you could please give us the full details here, we can get it sorted: http://portableapps.com/forums/support/office

Namely, what folder is left behind and what are the full contents (if any), what OS, install path, new install vs upgrade (could be a result of an upgrade issue we need to catch), etc?
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:If you could please give us the full details here, we can get it sorted
Looks like it got resolved before I could post about it. Here's the screen I put together earlier in the week for reference:

Emka

#43 Post by Emka »

I posted over on PA.com and JohnTH fixed it very quickly. As you can see in the screenshot, it was an issue with localizations or their updates.

SYSTEM

#44 Post by SYSTEM »

Two security vulnerabilities have been found in Foxit Reader, and Foxit Software has refused to fix them.

http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-17-691/
http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-17-692/
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#45 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:Two security vulnerabilities have been found in Foxit Reader, and Foxit Software has refused to fix them.
Where did you get that they're refusing to fix them? Also, I am so very sick of PDF exploits. Why on earth is this still an issue? I *almost* get that some office Macros could cause problems but PDF? How is this a thing?