EraserDrop Portable V2.1

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

EraserDrop Portable V2.1

#1 Post by Checker »

Download: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... p_portable

EraserDrop Portable
easily secure-erase your data

EraserDrop Portable is an easy-to-use secure data removal tool. It is a drop target (a floating icon on your desktop) that you can drop files onto to quickly erase them so they can not be recovered. EraserDrop does away with the standard Eraser Portable interface and is packaged as a portable app so you can easily delete files on the go.

System Requirements: 2000/XP/Vista/7

webfork

Re: EraserDrop Portable V2.1

#2 Post by webfork »

I'm *really* impressed by this program. I was certain the CyberShredder program was about as good as it gets in simple, easy, and slick file wiping but this program takes it another step. Options to wipe free space and the recycle bin are really nice. Uses the lowest wipe feature by default (the only security 95% of us will ever need), its fairly small with 10 megs of RAM / 1.6 megs of hard drive space, has lots of optional settings, and GPL'd. Hard to beat.

The ONLY negative is that the target icon can't be moved unless you're holding the left shift, not because I don't think this is a good idea, but because users who sit down and start using the program without reading the little "readme" file won't know how to do this. That is: its not very intuitive.

Otherwise this program totally rules.

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Strange, I thought John didn't want AutoIt applications to be apart of the PortableApps Suite & secondly the source code as well as the executable show V2.1.0 not V2.1.1, well at least the Readme.txt has been changed.

JohnTHaller

#5 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:Strange, I thought John didn't want AutoIt applications to be apart of the PortableApps Suite & secondly the source code as well as the executable show V2.1.0 not V2.1.1, well at least the Readme.txt has been changed.
We don't because of the constant false positives. But it's an existing (aka legacy) app, so I just repackaged it with an updated launcher and installer so it doesn't have issues installing on large drives, installs automatically with the updater/app store, automatically hides the splash screen with the platform, etc. The version within the app is the same because I used the exact same AutoIT EXE from October 2009 and it still had 3 different false positives at release time that I had to track down and deal with.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

OK, thanks.

JohnTHaller

#7 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:OK, thanks.
Sure thing. I think we'll rewrite it with the same interface in something like Delphi or C++ in the near future to remove the last bits of false positives. That would also make it easier to enhance (like the shight-click to move issue) and make multilingual.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

Is wraithdu aware of your changes? As well as your plans for the future?

JohnTHaller

#9 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:Is wraithdu aware of your changes? As well as your plans for the future?
I'm not sure, though IIRC it has been discussed previously in forum threads he was a part of. It's not quite on the radar at the moment (more like a couple months out as we have bigger fish to fry) and we wouldn't start on it without dropping him a note first. If he wanted to do it, it'd be his baby. If wasn't interested in it being updated, we'd likely come up with a new name for the new version.

Until then, I'm hoping we can keep the false positives down due to it being a 3 year old EXE without any issues. 2 of the antivirus companies added in exceptions for it to their definitions. 1 has not.