SearchMonkey

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

SearchMonkey

#1 Post by webfork »

License: GPL v3

Steps: Download, extract using 7-zip

Portable: Yes, doesn't appear to save any settings. Stealth status unknown.

Main thing about this program is I'm not sure if it's really much better than other search programs. It *seemed* to work fast on my system and did a great content search, but I'm not sure this approaches other GREP tools. Also, there's clearly a tabbed interface thing going on, but I couldn't get any tabs.

So anyway ... not sure if this is worth the time to test further. Listing here if anyone is feeling adventurous.

I am Baas

Re: SearchMonkey

#2 Post by I am Baas »

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Project Searchmonkey\Searchmonkey\MainWindow
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Project Searchmonkey\Searchmonkey
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech\OrganizationDefaults\Qt
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trolltech\OrganizationDefaults

Windows size and position, last search directory etc.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Y u no link? ;)

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

You have just won
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
+ a link

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Yum! :twisted:

smaragdus

#6 Post by smaragdus »

Searchmonkey at version 2.0.0 (from 2015.05.20), I couldn't find a change log but perhaps the most important change in the latest version seems this one:
prior to version 2.0 Searchmonkey used the GTK toolkit, but development has switched to Qt for current releases.
For Windows it is available as MSI installer and as ZIP archive. I haven't tested it but I suppose that it still writes to registry (a confirmation will be welcome).

Searchmonkey at AlternativeTo

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

So I came back to this program and made a lot more progress ...

Synopsis: A program that will search for files and file internals. It has a lot of capabilities but needs some polish. The main thing is that I was able to search the files most critical to me: LibreOffice (ODT), Word (DOCX), and PDF and do this with very little effort. The program searched through files quickly and certainly searches more file types than both Windows and Mac default search tools.

It's not quite as good as DocFetcher for most searches but because that program requires an index and has a little more complex setup, SearchMonkey might find your data faster in some situations. If you know your way around Regular Expressions however, SearchMonkey might shine brighter.

Steps: Install and then uninstall, pulling the JAR file out and running separately.

Status: Not portable. Writes to: HKEY_USERS\..\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\embeddediq\searchmonkey. Tested with both installed Java and with PortableApps' jPortable+JAR launcher.

Issues:
  • Can't resize the space between search and results panes
  • Curiously, setting search options to "key words" disables the "Containing" option in the main window, meaning you can search for text inside a file. That's an odd one.
  • Pressing Enter after entering some terms doesn't work, you have to press "Start"
  • While searching the program wasn't possible to use, meaning you can't do much to look at the search results until it's done searching (or you click "stop")
Wishlist
  • Ability to modify fonts (they're very small on my screen)
  • Would like to be able to click on an item from the "hits" tab listing all the appearances of a term and it's file and have it jump to the preview window with that file+location.
Analysis: Despite a few hiccups, the program definitely has some powerful tools and I might use it where DocFetcher comes up short.

Screenshot:

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Update: two other features that I forgot to spell out:
  • Search both file names AND file content using regular expressions. If you know what you're doing, that's some intensely customized search.
  • Look at data in both Word and PDF files. If you wish there were regular expressions search functionality in Word, this is a possible workaround.