Duplicate File Finder (Brooks Younce)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
ancientimages

Duplicate File Finder (Brooks Younce)

#1 Post by ancientimages »

Hey all. Longtime reader, first time submitter here.

I just discovered Duplicate File Finder 3.0. It does what it says. Start the program, add a path and scan it for multiple copies of a single file. Once the program's done, it shows a report and asks if you'd like to delete the extra copies.

I like it because instead of scanning for duplicate file names. it does a CRC check.

From the product's webpage.
About the Program:
"Duplicate File Finder" is a simple to use program that can search and locate duplicate and empty files in any folder or drive. It automatically searches all files in all subdirectories. Duplicate files are based on byte for byte comparisons (100% accurate), for comparing large files you can select "Fast Searching" which compares the first and last 10 megabytes of large files, to increase speed (99% accurate). This program is great for cleaning up disk space in your picture folders, or documents folders, or download folders. You can also specify to only search for jpg files or mp3 files, or any other type of specific file type!

WARNING: Do not delete files if you do not know what they are! It is NOT recommended that you search your system directory and delete all the duplicate files it contains; since your operating system may need those files!

Features and Details:
* Multithreading operation to provide extremely fast search results.
* FASTER Duplicate File Searching than any other program of its kind!
* Fast Search mode allows extremely fast byte comparisons on large files.
* Search Across Multiple Directories and Drives.
* Search for All File Type or Narrow your Search to Specific File types only!
* Also can locate and delete empty files.
* Double Click a file in the tree list to display a detailed information dialog.
* Ability to Delete Selected Original Files.
* Tip: Original Files are determined by creation date, if it was created first, it is considered the original file.

System Requirements:
Windows 98 and Up.
You can find it on the official site here: http://brooksyounce.tripod.com/Soft-DupFinder.htm

Hope I did this right. :D

webfork

Re: Duplicate File Finder 3.0

#2 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about Duplicate File Finder (12 oclock software) were given their own thread. Thanks to user JohnW for catching this confusing program overlap.]

---

Old thread update: Site offline. The program is probably portable as it has very few config options and I like the simplicity. Claims multi-threaded operations and high speed. The match percentage feature is an interesting idea.

Site offline: https://web.archive.org/web/20070304160 ... Finder.htm
Download: https://web.archive.org/web/20070227013 ... Finder.zip

EDIT: I was previously listing a Snapfiles download, but that site now hosts a different software listing for "Duplicate File Finder".