Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
SYSTEM

Re: Portable Skype

#76 Post by SYSTEM »

giulia wrote:why my skype portable donwload always the update and tried to install even it's disabled
and it's portable
I think there is simply no way to disable automatic checking for updates. In that case, there is nothing John can do. :(
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

giulia

#77 Post by giulia »

SYSTEM wrote:
giulia wrote:why my skype portable donwload always the update and tried to install even it's disabled
and it's portable
I think there is simply no way to disable automatic checking for updates. In that case, there is nothing John can do. :(
thanks
do u have the same problem?
maybe a firewall rule ...

JohnTHaller

#78 Post by JohnTHaller »

Skype's decision on whether to automatically update is handled via a system-level registry key in the HKLM hive. As such, it can not be adjusted unless you run as admin, which the vast majority of users will have no access to. Your best bet is to use Skype Portable in conjunction with the PortableApps.com Platform. We usually (but not always) push out updates to Skype Portable before they start pushing them out via their update channel as long as our keen-eyed users let us know about a new release.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

giulia

#79 Post by giulia »

JohnTHaller wrote:Skype's decision on whether to automatically update is handled via a system-level registry key in the HKLM hive. As such, it can not be adjusted unless you run as admin, which the vast majority of users will have no access to. Your best bet is to use Skype Portable in conjunction with the PortableApps.com Platform. We usually (but not always) push out updates to Skype Portable before they start pushing them out via their update channel as long as our keen-eyed users let us know about a new release.
thanks
so the best way is install the portableapp.com launcher ?

Midas

#80 Post by Midas »

JohnTHaller wrote:Skype's decision on whether to automatically update is handled via a system-level registry key in the HKLM hive. As such, it can not be adjusted unless you run as admin ...
  • If you'd just publish that info, advanced users could test other strategies for disabling it -- like yaP, for instance... :?

giulia

#81 Post by giulia »

Midas wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote:Skype's decision on whether to automatically update is handled via a system-level registry key in the HKLM hive. As such, it can not be adjusted unless you run as admin ...
  • If you'd just publish that info, advanced users could test other strategies for disabling it -- like yaP, for instance... :?
can you explain please?

thanks

Midas

#82 Post by Midas »

Just what I said, if that HKLM key was identified, other users could neuter it without having to use the PAF launcher -- nothing against it, it's just that I like to have different options.

giulia

#83 Post by giulia »

Midas wrote:Just what I said, if that HKLM key was identified, other users could neuter it without having to use the PAF launcher -- nothing against it, it's just that I like to have different options.
do you know wich are this keys?
maybe i can block these keys?access, modify ...

giulia

#84 Post by giulia »

Midas wrote:Just what I said, if that HKLM key was identified, other users could neuter it without having to use the PAF launcher -- nothing against it, it's just that I like to have different options.
in internet i found that should block auto update 127.0.0.1 download.skype.com ..
but i would create a firewall rule but i don't know download.skype.com IP
thanks

Midas

#85 Post by Midas »

giulia wrote:i found that should block auto update 127.0.0.1 download.skype.com ...
  • No need to. Search your windows drive for the 'HOSTS' file, open it in a text editor and add a line at the bottom:

127.0.0.1 download.skype.com

Note that you won't be able to access download.skype.com afterwards until you remove that line. Better yet, make it "0.0.0.0 download.skype.com" to avoid burdening your system with timeouts...

SYSTEM

#86 Post by SYSTEM »

giulia wrote:
in internet i found that should block auto update 127.0.0.1 download.skype.com ..
thanks

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Jyrki>nslookup download.skype.com
Server:  resolver2.dnaip.fi
Address:  62.241.198.246

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    a1306.cl.akamai.net
Addresses:  82.96.58.23
Aliases:  download.skype.com
          download-akm.skype.com.edgesuite.net
(Just to be clear, the IP addresses are the last two. The first IP address in the output is the IP of my DNS server.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

giulia

#87 Post by giulia »

SYSTEM wrote:
giulia wrote:
thanks

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Jyrki>nslookup download.skype.com
Server:  resolver2.dnaip.fi
Address:  62.241.198.246

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    a1306.cl.akamai.net
Addresses:  82.96.58.23
Aliases:  download.skype.com
          download-akm.skype.com.edgesuite.net
(Just to be clear, the IP addresses are the last two. The first IP address in the output is the IP of my DNS server.)
Hi
i got an iranian ip or russia !!! and i live in rome :? :?

giulia

#88 Post by giulia »

hi
even the update should be disabled in skype portable ,skype downloads the update :(
is there a way to block it(the auto update) with the firewall ?
i found this https://youtu.be/8iyrS4uAJhc?t=4m53s
the part of registry
thanks

joby_toss

#89 Post by joby_toss »

In my case, Skype asked for confirmation before installing the downloaded update.

JohnTHaller

#90 Post by JohnTHaller »

Skype will ask for confirmation before updating. You can stay up to date automatically by using the PortableApps.com Platform as updates for Skype Portable are usually released before Skype begins prompting.

We can't disable the update check as Skype uses a setting within HKLM to disable update checking which can only be set with admin rights.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality