Portable Skype (AKA sPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Local

#16 Post by Local »

You may want to try Total Uninstall from Gavrila Martau.
It should pick up all changes the install makes and reverse them afterwards.

Total Uninstall uses the registry but it's only a key as far as I remember and can easily be removed.

Yucca

#17 Post by Yucca »

Well, I decided to try Total Uninstall and then intended to buy it. What a nightmare!

It was detected as having a virus (probably a false positive), but it took me quite a while to get it uninstalled and to get my registry clean from having installed it.

Quite an irony when a program causes exactly the problems it is designed to avoid or correct.

From reading the forum on the Total Uninstall web site, I think this program just doesn't work well with Vista and perhaps not with some anti-virus programs.

I liked the idea of Total Uninstall, but I'll stick with RegFromApp and RevoUninstall. And they are free!

-- Yucca

Local

#18 Post by Local »

I'm sorry about that Yucca I didn't even realise Total Uninstall had gone payware.
I can't guarantee Vista compatibility but if it helps
http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories ... tun235.zip
This is the last free version.
It runs standalone on XP I can't remember how I extracted it though.
but if all else fails sandboxie should accept it.

Yucca

#19 Post by Yucca »

Thanks, Local.

The problem is almost surely not with Total Uninstall but with a combination of Vista's UAC and the overly aggressive behavior of my anti-virus (McAffee).

The concept of Total Uninstall is very appealing, and I would gladly pay to register it if I could just get it to work -- but at this point I'm not willing to put in the effort to get it to work. The last freeware version was pre-Vista, so I don't think it would work, and I wouldn't be able to get any help from the developer for the old freeware version.

On the Total Uninstall forum, the solution recommended for the Vista issues (caused by the UAC) is a hack to turn off UAC. That's not something I want to do, even though UAC can be a pain at times. Total Uninstall is the only Windows program I've ever had that I could not get to install and run on Vista, and I'm not going to cripple a security feature on Vista just for one program that is not essential.

If anyone knows of another program that has the same monitoring features of Total Uninstall, either freeware or payware, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it.

I like Revo, but it does not provide the monitoring features of Total Uninstall and may miss some registry entries that TU would find.

Thanks again.

-- Yucca

Local

#20 Post by Local »

I understand about the Vista thing.
Personally I'd have rather gone back to 2000 than upgrade to that %&*$ but hey, needs must.

I can't help much with anything else to monitor (There was one program but for the life of me I can't remember the name) but I'm uploading an opened Skype to Fileden now if you still need one.

It's the legit one I just installed in a sandbox and archived the program files folder.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/6/17/ ... 0Files.rar

Pathologist

Re: getting skype made portable

#21 Post by Pathologist »

donald wrote: "the best way to make an app portable is to get the creators to make it so" a qoute from these very forums sorry I have forgotten the posters name
Donald,

Skype made it possible to make a portable version. But the sequence of procedures one shall make before he can enjoy portability is so complicated that a simple user will hardly pass it.

I believe you will like the free portable Skype launcher that is offered by Codyssey

It is compatible with Skype and PortableApps. It automatically imports application and profile, checks for newer Skype version

Pathologist

Portable Skype Launcher 1.2

#22 Post by Pathologist »

Category: Communications – Telephony

Synopsis: Portable Skype Launcher 1.2 – a convenient and user-friendly utility for launching Skype from a flash drive. Run your Skype application directly from your portable drive, carry your profile and settings always with you. Portable Skype Launcher allows:
- Automatic copying of Skype application
- Automatic copying of Skype profile
- Automatic checking for newer Skype version
- And more...

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the SkypePortable.exe, launch it and follow Wizard instructions.

Stealth: Yes

Unicode support: Yes

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win2K / WinXP / VISTA /

Screenshot: http://codyssey.com/downloads/pad/image ... enshot.jpg
Download installer: http://www.codyssey.com/downloads/sw/fr ... rtable.exe (~235Kb)

The setup process is simple. If you have Skype installed on your desktop PC you can download and install the Portable Skype Launcher to your USB drive. When you run this tool for the first time it will suggest copying application and profile from your computer. You will need only to follow the application instructions.
If Skype is not installed on your computer, you will need first to download and install it there. After Portable Skype Launcher makes all necessary copies you can uninstall Skype from your PC.

Pathologist

Portable Skype Launcher 1.3 (Update)

#23 Post by Pathologist »

Category: Communications – Telephony

Synopsis: Portable Skype Launcher 1.3 – is an utility that performs a routine of making Skype Portable for you automatically. It allows launching Skype from a flash drive on any PC.
On the first launch this application copies Skype application and your profile to your portable drive and adjusts application INI file.

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the SkypePortable.exe, launch it and follow Wizard instructions.

Stealth: Yes

Unicode support: Yes

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Win2K / WinXP / VISTA /

Screenshot: http://codyssey.com/downloads/pad/image ... enshot.jpg
Download installer: http://www.codyssey.com/downloads/sw/fr ... rtable.exe (~235Kb)

The setup process is simple. If you have Skype installed on your desktop PC you can download and install the Portable Skype Launcher to your USB drive. When you run this tool for the first time it will suggest copying application and profile from your computer. You will need only to follow the application instructions.
If Skype is not installed on your computer, you will need first to download and install it there. After Portable Skype Launcher makes all necessary copies you can uninstall Skype from your PC.

zZolaa

#24 Post by zZolaa »

This software is just stupid. It doesn't work.

It tries to detect a USB device and if you don't have one, it doesn't let you create a portable Skype.

I don't use any USB devices, USB has nothing to do with the reason I use portable software. Probably half the people on this forum don't use portable software just "because of USB", they use it *because its portable software* -- so you have created a nonfunctional software that can't simply build a working portable Skype in an arbitrary folder. Limiting it to only work on USB devices serves absolutely zero purpose.

joby_toss

#25 Post by joby_toss »

@zZolaa: you are being a bit too harsh ... but you have a point; a launcher for a portable version of a software should not be hardware dependent!

Pathologist

#26 Post by Pathologist »

joby_toss wrote:... should not be hardware dependent!
where the heck, did you find hardware dependance?

zZolaa

#27 Post by zZolaa »

The portable-izer actually has a hardware detection phase and searches for a USB Device and will only create a Portable Skype on a USB device.

It will not create a Portable Skype on a portable hard drive, on a firewire drive, on your iPod, on your C drive, on anything EXCEPT a usb stick.

Therefore, it's actually NOT portable, and should not be added to the portablefreeware collection, because it's tied down to some arbitrary / specific hardware (to a USB stick), just like how "Program Files" are tied down to some arbitrary / specific hardware (your C drive).

joby_toss

#28 Post by joby_toss »

Pathologist wrote:
joby_toss wrote:... should not be hardware dependent!
where the heck, did you find hardware dependance?
I am sorry sir! I am not a native English speaker!
The launcher can be executed but it cannot create a portable Skype version directly on the hard drive (many of us here would like that); it demands an usb stick for that. This is what I meant.
Please don't get mad; instead change the way this launcher works a bit.
All in all, zZolaa's previous post describes this issue better.

netdiver

#29 Post by netdiver »

Guys!
Thank you all:
to Pathologist for posting our utility on this forum
and, especially, zZolaa for correct explanation of the "problem".

I extended the list of supported disk drives (you may chose not only removable, but fixed drives as well now) and added destination folder selection page. Corresponding modifications were applied to our installers for other applications as well.

joby_toss

#30 Post by joby_toss »

netdiver wrote:Guys!
Thank you all:
to Pathologist for posting our utility on this forum
and, especially, zZolaa for correct explanation of the "problem".

I extended the list of supported disk drives (you may chose not only removable, but fixed drives as well now) and added destination folder selection page. Corresponding modifications were applied to our installers for other applications as well.
Great news indeed!
Now, let's see them at work! :)