Pdf To Djvu Gui portable.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
kitsaros

Pdf To Djvu Gui portable.

#1 Post by kitsaros »

Pdf To Djvu Gui is now portable (ver 2.0). As says the name it is a free pdf to djvu converter.
It writes the settings on an ini file.

Have a nice day :wink:

joby_toss

Re: Pdf To Djvu Gui portable.

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Added to the database here.

The results really amazed me! Resulting .djvu files are half of the original pdfs size! And look very good in WinDjvu. :)

guinness

#3 Post by guinness »

Could you recommend a Portable Djvu Reader? I found one here but was wondering what else was available. Since I read that WinDjView stores settings in the registry http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 204#p15204

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

I use a JPE version of WinDjvu. You can also use a JPE version of STDU Viewer.
I'll keep looking for a natively portable djvu viewer (or we could spam Mr. Andrew Zhezherun with requests, for he already promised this feature a year ago :) ).

ArnaudNime

#5 Post by ArnaudNime »

There is a called portable version for the last release of stduviewer 1.5.597.
Has anyone tested it ?

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

ArnaudNime wrote:There is a called portable version for the last release of stduviewer 1.5.597.
Has anyone tested it ?
I was just about to post it! :)
It is portable, yes.

tproli

#7 Post by tproli »

Great news about STDU Viewer. Though I had my own NSIS-compressed portable STDU weighting only 1.4 MB but I'm happy to switch to the official one.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

In recent testing, I got some very interesting results with PDF to DjVu GUI v2.5:

Just to get a DJVU file to test, I ran the RedCrab readme.pdf through this program and got some startling results:
  • If you use default settings with 150 dpi, you get a file 1/3rd the size of the original PDF. This was expected as a good chunk of what FileOptimizer does to compress files is just a smaller DPI.
  • If you do the same but uncheck antialias, you get a file 1.6% the size of the original. Seriously. The text doesn't look super sharp but it's very readable as well as searchable.
File sizes:
Comparison of anti-alias versus not:
I haven't seen space savings like that since I started converting large BMPs to JPG back in the 90s.

Anyway, if you could package a lightweight viewer in with whatever software you're distributing, it might make sense to distribute DJVU files rather than PDFs.