PicPick - screen capture and other graphics tools

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Cornflower

PicPick - screen capture and other graphics tools

#1 Post by Cornflower »

from the web site:
PicPick is an all-in-one software for software developers, graphic designers and home user.

It has an intuitive interface and simple, elegant operation. After starting the software, you simply select one of the tool from the PicPick Tools trayicon menu when you want.
It features a powerful capture tool, image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and etc. You can use all these tools freely.......

Portability: single 794k .exe one picpick.ini in same folder. Tested with depends and regfromapp and could not generate a registry key.

Installation. Download the .zip file and extract picpick.exe the .ini file, and optionally the language file. The first time you run, it will ask for settings, including the language. It will default to English if no language file exists or is chosen.

Web site: http://picpick.wiziple.net/
Download: http://picpick.wiziple.net/picpick.zip

The editor is embedded. I have separate tools for crosshair, prot5actor, ruler, and whiteboard, some of which work better than others. I may not give up FS Capture (last freeware version) too quick but have unloaded all the others for Picpick.

Checker

#2 Post by Checker »

Nice app :!:
But I have problems to change the language.
I changed language to: German.
INI says: "Language=German", but after starting the app is still english.

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

Maybe delete all the language .ini files but the German one in the language folder.

Checker

#4 Post by Checker »

@ I am Baas :
I tried this too, but it didn't work.
English (default) comes up with the EXE and the INI seems to be ignored.

BTW: Doesn't matter - I can use the english version.

And: I still use FastStone Capture.

Cornflower

#5 Post by Cornflower »

[quote="Checker"]Nice app :!:
But I have problems to change the language.
I changed language to: German.
INI says: "Language=German", but after starting the app is still english.[/quote]

I redownloaded (from the zip the first time I always try to delete ALL language files, because I prefer to have as few files as possible, and as many of my smaller portable apps in the same directory.

When I extracted all the files, it created a language directory. It allowed the choice of German with no difficulty, with both the system tray icon and the app menus all being in German.
When I MOVEd tje German.ini out of the language subdirectory into the same directory as picpick.exe, even though the ini file still said Language=German, it reverted to English. Move it back, I got German again.

hope this helps.

Checker

#6 Post by Checker »

@ Cornflower:

The strange thing is, that my "German.ini" is within the language-subfolder.
I tried both (within/without), but the app stays in english ... strange :?

But, as I said, that doesn't really matter.

Lupo73

PicPick Tools

#7 Post by Lupo73 »

Some users have already reported it. It is a good all-in-one application for software developers, graphic designers and home user. It has many tools: capture tool, image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and etc.

http://picpick.wiziple.net/

It is presented as portable, someone have tested it? Very good software :wink:

joby_toss

Re: PicPick Tools

#8 Post by joby_toss »

It is portable (and "stealth"). Tested with Sandboxie and RegFromApp.

Yucca

#9 Post by Yucca »

I don't consider this portable. It needs to remap the PrintScreen key to do screen captures. I already have that mapped to another program, as it might well be on other computers on which I might try to use this program.

If there is another way to use this without remapping keys on my computer, please let me know. This looks promising, but I can't use it if I have to map keys on any computer I use it on.

Yucca

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

I'm not sure i fully understand your issue, but I'll try to answer anyway.

PicPick doesn't need to remap any key; you can disable hotkeys by choosing "Disabled" profile.
I personally use "HoverSnap" profile.

If you want your own hotkeys, you must choose the "Custom" profile from the "Hotkeys" menu and set it up any way you want. The "PrintScreen" key doesn't have to be used at all. The hotkeys settings are remembered from PC to PC as they are stored in "picpick.ini" file and you don't have to set them up every time you switch PCs.

Hope I got it right! :)

Yucca

#11 Post by Yucca »

Joby,

Thanks for replying. I did not know about the profiles, but unfortunately PickPic still needs to map the PrintScreen key to itself even with the hotkeys disabled.

I also use FastStone Capture (the paid version), which uses the PrintScreen key. So PickPic cannot operate on my system due to its requirement to map the PrintScreen key.

You may wonder why I even care about PickPic if I use FastStone Capture. The answer is that I am always looking for good portable, free screen capture programs to recommend to my friends -- and I had thought PickPic might be the answer.

So, it seems to me that PickPic would work portably only if the computer on which it is being used does not have any other software that maps the PrintScreen key, but it will not work on systems that have already mapped that key with another program. For me, that makes PickPic Portable-Lite rather than fully Portable.

I don't know why the program needs to map any key after choosing the "disabled" profile. It could just use mouse actions, which would make it meet my definition of fully portable.

Thanks again.

--Yucca

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

I think I understand now.

Here is what I did:
1. start FSCapture with PrtSc key mapped to take full screen screenshot
2. start PicPick with hotkeys disabled

Results:
1. PrtSc key takes full screen shots for FSCapture
2. right click on PicPick tray icon -> choose Screen Capture and mouse click on Capture Ful-screen or Capture Active Window or Capture Region or Capture Fixed Region or FreeHand Capture or Repeat Last Capture -> they all work as expected (screenshots go to PicPick)
3. BUT if one chooses Capture Window Control, then the little window saying you have to push PrtSc key pops up and there is nothing to do: the screenshot automatically goes to FSCapture.

This is a very minor impediment for me (and for 99% of PicPick users I guess).

Anyway, PicPick version 2.0 is right around the corner and maybe this minor issue will be fixed for the other 1% :) .

Yucca

#13 Post by Yucca »

Joby,

Thanks for taking the time to follow up on this and testing further.

Yes, my problem was that I almost always need the Capture Window Control option for capturing, because I need it to scroll to capture the full window.

It would seem that this would be a minor fix to PickPic, since all the other capturing options can work with a mouse action and do not require any usage of keys like PrintScreen. As you say, hopefully this will be changed in an upcoming update. (I hope the author has seen this thread on TPFC.)

I do think this is probably a problem for more than 1% of users :lol: as you estimated, but I agree that it can be considered a relatively minor problem. Personally, I will still, however, consider PicPick to be portable-lite until this issue is fixed.

--Yucca

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

Just stumbled upon other side of this issue ... this one I don't like at all.
http://picpick.wiziple.net/community/8183

Lupo73

#15 Post by Lupo73 »

I use the last free version of FastStone Capture since long time ago :D ..but I'm considering to "migrate" to PicPick that seems to be more featured and completely free, in particular now that will be released a new 2.0 version widely improved. But given that it is a young software, I'd like to know opinions of users that use it.