LastPass

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
NewKreation

LastPass

#1 Post by NewKreation »

https://lastpass.com/download.php#pocket

"LastPass has what many of the commercial form fillers, like RoboForm have, plus the added sync capability."

JohnW

#2 Post by JohnW »

I'm a devoted RoboForm user so it's probable that I will stick with that.
That said, I took a look at this and I must say I'm very impressed with its features.
So thanks very much NewKreation for the post.

donald

This is just an add-on right??

#3 Post by donald »

This is just an add-on right?

Should we start nominating all the available add-ons?

If so my nominations are: Ad Block Plus,Temporary Inbox, Bookmarks Tab, Fox Torrent, and every single search engine I have downloaded from the Mycroft Project Page.

Otherwise I think this isn't capable of being more than an add-on.

That is important in its own way, but I think it should be submitted as an add-on, not as a portable app in its own right because it is more in line as an accessory to a browser. (it supports IE and Firefox on C and Firefox Portable)

I think this belongs in Portable Freeware Discussion not Submission.

Otherwise I think this is a great find and thanks for the post NewKreation.

I hope this is helpful and if we are listing add-ons please consider my nominations.

ashghost

#4 Post by ashghost »

LastPass Pocket is not the Firefox add-on. It's a standalone application that allows you to download your online password database, access the passwords (to view and copy-and-paste, but not edit, add, or delete), backup the database, or access a previous backup.

Personally, I think the add-on would be more useful, but you probably don't change your passwords often enough to need full access all the time.

donald

Sorry I thought it was just a browser add-on

#5 Post by donald »

Sorry I thought it was just a browser add-on

I never noticed the portable standalone.

I only noticed the add-on.

Ameri-CAIN

#6 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

I didn't notice the portable version at first either. Its under the header...

LastPass Pocket for offline access to your data (put on your USB stick/Backup drive)

If I get this straight you have to have an account online for this to work? Meaning all your passwords, and credit card numbers are stored online, on a free server?
:shock: :o
Sounds a bit dangerous. Is there a way to use something like this without paying for Roboforms2Go, or signing up online for LastPass so that all my private data can sit on someones server waiting to get hacked into?

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

Ameri-CAIN wrote:Is there a way to use something like this without paying for Roboforms2Go, or signing up online for LastPass so that all my private data can sit on someones server waiting to get hacked into?
There is not ( regarding LastPass )! Alternative is KeePass, obviously.

I like this software, I like the online version and the FF extension, I believe in them being safe ... but I will NOT use them ... ever! I don't know how to explain my feelings, but it's just the way I feel ...

joby_toss

Re: LastPass

#8 Post by joby_toss »

Dear LastPass User,
We have reason to believe that LastPass user account information may have been accessed due to an illegal intrusion into our network. Despite not having definitive proof of this, we are erring on the side of caution and alerting you on how to safeguard your data.
https://lastpass.com/status.php

WTF? Haven't they advertised it as unbreakable? And perfectly safe?

I don't use this, but be very careful with any data that you might have stored "in the cloud".

SYSTEM

#9 Post by SYSTEM »

joby_toss wrote:
Dear LastPass User,
We have reason to believe that LastPass user account information may have been accessed due to an illegal intrusion into our network. Despite not having definitive proof of this, we are erring on the side of caution and alerting you on how to safeguard your data.
https://lastpass.com/status.php

WTF? Haven't they advertised it as unbreakable? And perfectly safe?

I don't use this, but be very careful with any data that you might have stored "in the cloud".
They're simply being extremely paranoid. I have found more details here:

http://blog.lastpass.com/2011/05/lastpa ... ation.html
The LastPass Team wrote:We take a close look at our logs and try to explain every anomaly we see. Tuesday morning we saw a network traffic anomaly for a few minutes from one of our non-critical machines. These happen occasionally, and we typically identify them as an employee or an automated script.

In this case, we couldn't find that root cause. After delving into the anomaly we found a similar but smaller matching traffic anomaly from one of our databases in the opposite direction (more traffic was sent from the database compared to what was received on the server). Because we can't account for this anomaly either, we're going to be paranoid and assume the worst: that the data we stored in the database was somehow accessed. We know roughly the amount of data transfered and that it's big enough to have transfered people's email addresses, the server salt and their salted password hashes from the database. We also know that the amount of data taken isn't remotely enough to have pulled many users encrypted data blobs.
P.S. I don't use LastPass either.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:
The LastPass Team wrote:Because we can't account for this anomaly either, we're going to be paranoid and assume the worst: that the data we stored in the database was somehow accessed.
Good to know and glad they are taking those kinds of steps. I have to think Sony wouldn't be in the hot water its in now if they had been more forward with their customers about their break-in.
joby_toss wrote:Haven't they advertised it as unbreakable? And perfectly safe?
Yeah, the site really does make it look iron-clad. I don't know how they could market something and openly say "oh BTW this isn't 100%."

Still, the more I learn about computer security, the more I realize that you're only more safe than you were before. There's this one-upsmanship about security: I'm using crypto. Well I'm using crypto + linux. Well I'm using crypto+linux+lasers. They're cool, but we have to let go of the idea of perfect security. There are only steps towards safe.

carbonize

#11 Post by carbonize »

Let's be honest. The only place your data is safe is inside your own head.

For now anyway.

Wolfghost

#12 Post by Wolfghost »