SoftMaker Office

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
freakazoid

Re: SoftMaker Office 2006 for Windows....(NOW FREEWARE)

#46 Post by freakazoid »

Yup, I listed that above - "A portable.txt file is in the app directory FWIW"
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#47 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:Also for step 4, when uninstalling, you should use Revo Uninstaller as the default uninstaller does not remove its registry entries either.
Thanks -- does it recreate those entries when you run the portable version or are those exclusively at install?

lautrepay

#48 Post by lautrepay »

Writes under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE=Account with Admin rights.
freakazoid uses an Admin account for his tests.
I am Baas uses a limited account for that porpouses.

I am Baas

#49 Post by I am Baas »

freakazoid wrote:Yup, I listed that above - "A portable.txt file is in the app directory FWIW"
Yes, sorry about that. I read your post in a rush and did not notice your remark re. portable.txt.

webfork

Re:

#50 Post by webfork »

m^(2) wrote:I made some tests today
Dear god. 15% of its original size and only a 1 second startup penalty? Win.

The primary reason to use SoftMaker over other available tools is its speed. Its my current spreadsheet alternative to Excel for basic, quickie stuff. So I'd be curious if UPX compression makes it more sluggish.

m^(2)

#51 Post by m^(2) »

In regular cases UPX shouldn't noticeably reduce performance after startup.
BTW, SoftMaker Office performance is a mixed bag. In general it's far more snappy than OpenOffice, you click and it does the thing immediately.
But when it comes to doing serious operations of big spreadsheets - it's much slower.
For this reason I use both. Usually SoftMaker, but sometimes OO too.

webfork

#52 Post by webfork »

m^(2) wrote:But when it comes to doing serious operations of big spreadsheets - it's much slower.
Very interesting. I should have guessed that all the time that software has been around -- first as StarOffice and then OpenOffice -- they put in some pretty worthwhile math optimizations.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

Midas

Re: SoftMaker Office

#53 Post by Midas »

Any suggestions where old versions of FreeOffice might be found? I have been looking for the 2012 Linux version, but even the Windows one seems pretty hard to find... :?

BTW, related topics at:

xor

#54 Post by xor »

What about FreeOffice 2017, Is it Portable? Anyone tested it?

edit: Never mind, I just found the FreeOffice thread and I got up to date with it. *ashamed*

BTW I'm into this Office Suite quest because I can attest both AbleWord and Atlantis for being really faith-breaking incompatible with M$ propietary formats, I have tried them several times and ended up ditching them time after time. LibreOffice's size sounds overkill for my very basic needs.

webfork

#55 Post by webfork »

xor wrote:BTW I'm into this Office Suite quest because I can attest both AbleWord and Atlantis for being really faith-breaking incompatible with M$ propietary formats, I have tried them several times and ended up ditching them time after time. LibreOffice's size sounds overkill for my very basic needs.
I’m a big fan of LibreOffice and it’s Microsoft Office capability gets better and better with time. I’ve tested the export tool at length and it’s excellent. However, I must admit the FreeOffice's import has worked really well in the past.
xor wrote:What about FreeOffice 2017, Is it Portable? Anyone tested it?
I haven't tested the latest version, but I strongly suspect it's portable. The main reason it isn't in the database is that the portable creation sequence is a bit of a pain (install, export portable version to a drive, etc.)

Midas

#56 Post by Midas »

To whom may be interested, I was able to download the Softmaker Office 2012 Standard installer package (for which I still have a giveaway free license) from a sharewareonsale .com/s/softmaker-office-giveaway-coupon-sale promotion page...

I had to fill an online form, provide an email address (disposable still fine here), and download an executable stub installer which then downloaded the main package. :roll:

Relevant Service Pack (rev 702) not still available anymore from http://www.softmaker.com/en/servicepacks-softmaker-old.

(BTW, Softmaker FreeOffice topic is at viewtopic.php?t=20457 -- I keep mixing the two)