KeyNote - tabbed outline editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
xptweakerntn

KeyNote - tabbed outline editor

#1 Post by xptweakerntn »

[Moderator note: this is the primary KeyNote (outline editor) program thread. View database entry]

----

keynote is 100% portable.
just copy the files over.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

KeyNote is already listed in the database.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

I don't see any news about this so I'll post here.

KeyNote is alive again!

The new project is renamed KeyNote NF and it moved from sourceforge to google code.

The project was revived by Daniel Prado Velasco:
  • "The program will be renamed from "KeyNote" to "KeyNote NF". That way I hope it will be easier to locate it searching the web.

To implement some of the new features included in KeyNote NF I had to extend sligthly the format of KeyNote (.knt) files. All new elements are optional so that new version can open without problems a file corresponding to version 1.6.5. Also, with KeyNote 1.6.5 it is possible to open a file created with a later version, but in this case, if the file is saved, the alarms and information about checked nodes will be lost.

This project is an evolution of Tranglos Keynote (of Marek Jedlinski), with new features like:
    Checkboxes on children of selected nodes
    Selecting checkboxes for all nodes (View/Tree Checkboxes -- now View/All nodes Checkboxes) is still posible. Besides, checkboxes can be shown only on children of selected nodes (Children Checkbox)

Hidden nodes
    Capacity to work with hidden nodes. Nodes can be hidden in two ways:
    Activating a mode wich automatically hides checked nodes (Show or Hide checked nodes)
    Filtering one note's nodes or all notes under a searching criterion (Filter Tree Note)
    Alarms on nodes
    Better treatment of tables
    Improved treatment of links
    Multilanguage support"
download version 1.7.5.1

As far as portability is concerned, I don't see any differences.

I am Baas

Re: keynote

#4 Post by I am Baas »

Keynote NF is at version 1.7.9 Beta 6 (03 January, 2016)

Dl @ https://github.com/dpradov/keynote-nf/r ... 7.9-Beta.6

It is no longer required to launch with the -noreg parameter.

Settings: Application folder

smaragdus

#5 Post by smaragdus »

@I am Baas
Thanks, the betas can also be downloaded from SourceForge (previous releases are also available for download).

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I had a very poor experience when I tested Keynote NF like 2 years ago so I'll wait until development advances considerably to retest it.

FileHandler

#7 Post by FileHandler »

webfork wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:06 pm
I had a very poor experience when I tested Keynote NF like 2 years ago so I'll wait until development advances considerably to retest it.
Same here. I had used the program off and on again, but always got frustrated by a Search-function that would not find my stuff, not to mention other gripes.

Meanwhile however, it seems like most problems have been solved. I have used version 1.7.9 Beta 6 through 8 nearly every day for the past 12 months or so, and my overall impression is very good. It's fast and reliable, even with large files, has a ton of features I have come to appreciate.

Some users reported data losses when inserting images. I don't know if this got fixed for good or not. Early on I had decided to not run that risk and therefore use KeyNote for text only. If anything, I only link to images, but never embed or paste or drag&drop them into my text.

Linking to files is easy enough (Insert > Link to File ...) - but this inserts a fully specified path including the drive letter. You have to edit the link to make it portable. However, there is no 'Edit Link' command. Workaround: Select the link (Shift arrow-key your way over it) and call up Insert > URL....
Here's the catch: You MUST also select the empty space in front of the link-text, that's the spot containing the link-information (otherwise the dialog will come up empty)
Keynote.jpg
Relative syntax (..\OneDirUp\) is always relative to the current keynote file .knt and not to the keynote program exe. Be warned that this also holds true for the favorites sidebar: links you make relative in the favorites sidebar will work only if you happen to sit in the very same .knt file that was open when you created the link. This is very unfortunate, imo, and there is no way around it, no drive-letter placeholder I am aware of.

Not portable (paths always hardwired with drive letter):
- re-opening files via the built-in file manager or via recent files
- virtual nodes (nodes that refer to an external text or rtf file)

FileHandler

Re: KeyNote - tabbed outline editor

#8 Post by FileHandler »

Keynote NF (New Features) is now at 1.8.0 Beta 1.
https://github.com/dpradov/keynote-nf

I tested it and it fixes all the issues I had experienced with earlier versions.
The Search function has been improved, and also Web Capture and internal linking within the same knt-file. The history now allows switching back and forth locally (between nodes of the same tab/note), or globally (across the whole file) on a per-click basis.
Last edited by FileHandler on Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

vevy

#9 Post by vevy »

Following the link in FileHandler's post, I was pleasantly surprised that development has picked up again!

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

FileHandler wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:06 am I tested it and it fixes all the issues I had experienced with earlier versions.
Great news -- Keynote was a fantastic program and I was super disappointed with the bugs in the NF version. Glad to see it's got some traction again.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

KeyNote NF v1.8.1.07 beta (11 dec 2023)
--------------------------

* NEW: Significant improvement in image management
A detailed explanation is available in "doc\Images_Readme.txt"
* Drag and drop directly to Editor's content
* New option in the import window: "Insert content at caret position"
* Added option to replace bullets by alternative string when pasting as plain text
* Improvements for profiles management | Profiles\Default | Profiles macros
* Fixed: KNT could get hang doing a Search (Find Next or Find All) [IMPORTANT]
* Fixed issue #617: Access violation on exit
* Fixed issue #621: "Allow only one instance" not working
* Fixed: Text selection with Shift + left cursor is canceled when crossing a hidden mark
* Fixed: Convert '"' to '"' in title from web pages
* Fixed: newly added nodes do not respect the established zoom
* Fixed: New KNT Links could jump to an incorrect position
* Fixed: Possible exception on exporting (File | Copy To... or File | Export... with KNT format )
when including plaintext notes
* Improvement/correction to the RemoveKNTHIddenCharactersInRTF procedure
* Other minor adjustments
Daniel Prado Velasco wrote:I recommend everybody to use the last version, although marked as Beta but remember:

Notes:
- BETA releases include normally only 'keynote.exe'. You must download previously a normal version and then
replace .exe with the executable of the beta version.

- Also, **and important**, the language files are associated to specific versions and so the language files
will not be compatible with the beta executable. It is necessary that (in the meantime) you select
'English (internal)' as language. You can do that from the application:
Tools -> Configuration options -> General settings -> Language
or modifying keynote.ini:
LanguageUI=English (Internal)
or simply:
LanguageUI=

See "README.txt" in 'KeyNote NF- Binary BETA' for more information:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/keynot ... ry%20BETA/

AND REMEMBER:
It is **always strongly recommended** to conserve backups of .knt files,
specially before upgrading to a new version. Note that from version 1.7.9 Beta 7,
a new option have been added that offer the possibility of maintaining backups regularly.
See #544: New option to keep backups at regular intervals (https://github.com/dpradov/keynote-nf/issues/544)

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:18 am KeyNote NF v1.8.1.07 beta (11 dec 2023)
The last time I tested it (some years ago) it was real, real buggy/crashy. I don't love losing data. Has anyone used this new version and maybe feel safe vouching for it?

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

I have no use for such a program, so I did not test its functions, sorry.
v1.8.1 .08
Fixed: Null values (#0) could appear sporadically, corrupting/truncating part of the node content

FileHandler

#14 Post by FileHandler »

webfork wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:39 am Has anyone used this new version and maybe feel safe vouching for it?
From my own experience with two dozen Keynote files (.knt), some of them really large (10+ MB) that were created with earlier (buggier) versions of Keynote, all of them RTF-formatted with multiple tabs (notes) and nested tree-nodes: The latest Keynote 1.8.1.7 handles everything perfectly and without any problems at all. All issues have been fixed.

Please note: My files are rtf-text only. They include file links and url-links and internal cross-links and heavy formatting, but no images.

I also tested the new image-handling, and — after several modifications during the beta-stages — everything works exactly as I had hoped for. I have inserted images into existing knt-files from earlier versions (that had been text only), but mainly I have created new dummy files and filled them with hundreds of images. Pasted images from the web, stored images from my hard drive, some of them linked to, others copied into Keynote.

My storage method has been "External Folder" only. I cannot say anything about the embedded modes and how well the conversion performs between external storage and embedded.
joby_toss wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:36 am Fixed: Null values (#0) could appear sporadically, corrupting/truncating part of the node content
This fix prevents an error when pasting tables. The issue has been resolved. I had not been able to reproduce the error in the first place. The few tables I have in use never caused any problems.

Another user encountered encoding issues when pasting Cyrillic text.
https://github.com/dpradov/keynote-nf/issues/629

If you stick to English and double-check tables that you pasted from elsewhere, I think you are good to go. Myself, I feel confident enough to recommend the new Keynote to friends and family.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

FileHandler wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:11 pm The latest Keynote 1.8.1.7 handles everything perfectly and without any problems at all. All issues have been fixed.
Great news and thanks for the detailed breakdown.