Drive ReAssigner

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lococobra

Drive ReAssigner

#1 Post by lococobra »

Here's a new script I wrote tonight. Drive ReAssigner acts sort of as a volume mount point manager with a very specific purpose: consolidating drives.

Lately I've been carrying around a number of portable drives with me, my normal 60gig, a 4gig flash, and another 1 gig flash.

It was annoying to always have to keep switching between drives when working with files, and I knew that drives could be mounted to folders, so I went about automating this process.

ReAssigner is the result.

Use it like this:
ReAssign.exe Drive1 Drive2 Drive3

and it will unmount Drive1, Drive2, and Drive3, and then mount them as folders inside the root of whatever drive you launched ReAssign from.

You can ReAssign as many drives as you want, but there are a few restrictions (documented in the help file). Once the program has fully loaded, you can reset the drives one, or exit the program and it will reset all the drives to the original mountpoints.

I have it set up to autostart with pstart, and it works quite nicely

Might be too specific to be useful to anyone else, but I think it's cool.

Download it: Here

spaztastic

#2 Post by spaztastic »

[Removed]
Last edited by spaztastic on Fri May 30, 2008 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

appsuser

#3 Post by appsuser »

I definitely find it useful. In any file explorer program it's a lot more convenient to switch between folders on the same drive than different drives. I hope you're able to continue developing your File Extension Reassigner as well, as that's one of those software "holes" that have been created with the greater use of portable apps that hasn't quite been filled well yet.

lococobra

#4 Post by lococobra »

:? It's been too long since I worked on it, I'd probably have to restart development just to understand the code I wrote before, and I'm not sure my way of doing it would have even worked..

Plus, messing with the registry that extensively is always kind of dangerous.

However, I'm still not making any ground on trying to fix the problems with Virtual PC, so maybe I'll take a look at that later.

EDIT: Nevermind, finished ReAssignExt yesterday, only took me a couple hours
http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3371

infimum

#5 Post by infimum »

Thanks!
Works fine under Vista.