Portable VirtualBox

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
castman

Some Problems Here

#16 Post by castman »

I am using Windows XP SP3 X86 with a Intel Dual Core Processor to virtualize a copy of this machine in VirtualBox.

I was able (I don't remember exactly HOW) to install this virtual machine as 64 bits mode using the double Auto-It loader version from the German.

But I deleted this partition and changed options just to testing. Therefore the test showed that I needed to maintain activated Hardware Virtualization.

Then I deleted the partition and started a partition for real using Harware Virtualization and the same amount of RAM and Video memory. And this time choosed 2,8 GB harddisk, a size I realized would fit my needs.

Though this option is kinda nasty in the interface, I couldn't install the same copy as 64 bits mode, even trying installing many times with changed options.

I even tryed copying ntkrnlmp.ex_ and halmacpi.dl_ however the virtual machine didn't boot.

Maybe I need to use the 64 bits launcher??

Help, plz :(
Last edited by castman on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m^(2)

Re: Some Problems Here

#17 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:I am using Windows XP SP3 X86 with a Intel Dual Core Processor to virtualize a copy of this machine in VirtualBox.

I was able (I don't remember exactly HOW) to install it this virtual machine as 64 bits mode using the double Auto-It loader version from the German.

But I deleted this partition and changed options just to testing. Therefore the test showed that I needed to maintain activated Hardware Virtualization.

Then I deleted the partition and started a partition for real using Harware Virtualization and the same amount of RAM and Video memory. And this time choosed 2,8 GB harddisk, a size I realized would fit my needs.

Though this option is kinda nasty in the interface, I couldn't install the same copy as 64 bits mode, even trying installing many times with changed options.

I even tryed copying ntkrnlmp.ex_ and halmacpi.dl_ however the virtual machine didn't boot.

Maybe I need to use the 64 bits launcher??

Help, plz :(
I have no idea how did you manage to start x64 VBox on x86 system. Just tried to do so without success. The best help I can give you is advise to ask here.

castman

Sorry

#18 Post by castman »

I launched the Virtual Machine in 64 bits mode not the App.
However I went to VirtualBox site and it says in the changelog that this option has been updated.
The maximum I did was changing the folder name to another, maybe this damaged the configuration. I don't know.
Moreover the Germany site is giving 404 error.
Edit: I Said BullShit!!
Last edited by castman on Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

m^(2)

Re: Sorry

#19 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:The maximum I did was changing the folder name to another, maybe this damaged the configuration, I don't know.
Portable VBox folder? This shouldn't have any effect.
castman wrote:Moreover the Germany site is giving 404 error.
This site?

castman

Oh Good

#20 Post by castman »

They updated their code to fit 1.6.2 version!! :)
I'm going to try one last time.
I'm using a way of discovering if the right ntoskrnl has been copied.
I go through the CD loading, formatting (very fast), copying the CD contents then I reload the CD and enter in The Recovery Console.
When I Got Inside I type: cd repair, more setup.log; (less painful)

castman

#21 Post by castman »

Portable VirtualBox just doesn't works.
After quits it gives me awful bugs on my system.
I 'm not going to use anymore until anyone says its totally fixed. :(

Edit1: Sorry, I Forgot To Say. The portable version of VirtualBox 1.6.2 that gave me awful bugs after exiting.

Edit2: I read at VirtualBox forums about this and I think that guest machine 64 bits support is still experimental.

Edit3: This = 64 bits guest machine support
Last edited by castman on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

m^(2)

#22 Post by m^(2) »

castman wrote:Portable VirtualBox just doesn't works.
After quits it gives me awful bugs on my system.
I 'm not going to use anymore until anyone says its totally fixed. :(

Edit1: Sorry, I Forgot To Say. The portable version of VirtualBox 1.6.2 that gave me awful bugs after exiting.

Edit2: I read at VirtualBox forums about this and I think that guest machine 64 bits support is still experimental.
By "this", do you mean the "awful bugs" or your previous problems?
If bugs - please provide more information, it's impossible to fix w/out knowing exactly what happens. First: What do you mean by "awful bugs"? Second: Which launcher do you use? michaelm_007's or mine?
I think I'll have to ask more questions when you answer these.

castman

OK

#23 Post by castman »

First I used the launcher from the 1st post: VB 1.6.0 Launcher 1.3.2
Then I tryed copying the contents from the VB 1.6.2 to the App laucher's folder (Very Stupid Thing I Did)
It caused the bugs after exiting
Then I deleted everything and downloaded the 32bits version of the Germany Forums: VB 1.6.2 Launcher 1.3.6
I tried one more time and I had the same bugs
I did system restoration and tryed one more time (Yes I did)
The result was the same
Then I noticed that thereupon my first visit, the launcher was updated to 1.3.7
I deleted everything, ran It (I did it just for testing) and It gave the same bugs
So I did system restoration last time and stopped trying

The bugs are VERY VERY AWFUL
After exiting, when I press Ctrl + Alt + Del and click on "Execute New Task" it prompts me a console window. Typing there gives me capital letters with a '^' just after the letters (Like a -> A^).
The Execute Windows from start menu still works but I wasn't able to type there.
I tried closing explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe but didn't work.
Moreover when I double clicked on a folder, it opens me another window for the folder
I even wasn't able to switch between folders through the Taskbar
The only thing that fixed it was restarting my system. Logoff didn't work either

I just forgot to mention that one of the launchers left 2 keys on my system from the VBOXUSBMON (driver i think)
Last edited by castman on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m^(2)

#24 Post by m^(2) »

Did you try non portable VBox 1.6.2 on this machine?

castman

#25 Post by castman »

I didn't try installing the VBox 1.6.0 or the 1.6.2 version neither.
Last edited by castman on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Master of Dice

#26 Post by Master of Dice »

I had the same problem with my keyboard while VB was running. After shutting it down, everything worked again. Had it only one time.

m^(2)

#27 Post by m^(2) »

Master of Dice wrote:I had the same problem with my keyboard while VB was running. After shutting it down, everything worked again. Had it only one time.
These bugs look like something with kernel, if I'm right it's just a VirtualBox bug, not related to the portable editions. I'm investigating though.

castman

Finally

#28 Post by castman »

This was before 1.6.2 version, told by a Sun forum moderator from VirtualBox Forums about the VB 1.6.0 release
64-bit guest support is planned for the next release. Note that VirtualBox 1.6 introduces support for guest PAE (Physical Address Extensions) which is the first step towards full 64-bit support.
This was told by a Sun forum moderator from VirtualBox Forums about the VB 1.6.2 release
64 bits guest support is being worked on. It will most likely go into the next major release. I can't be more specific.
So I realize that they will only release a better support for VB 1.7.0.
I was only able to install as 64 bit mode guest activating PAE for a 1.4GB limit HD image :P

Edit: The Sun forum moderator explained me that VirtualBox can only see one processor. Therefore a bug must have occured when I installed the OS.
Last edited by castman on Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gil2006

Portable Virtual Box

#29 Post by gil2006 »

Is there any version of VirtualBox that is portable and doesn't require any admin rights to run it? I'm trying to do school work on a public computer, but all of the versions I have tried doesn't work because I'm not logged in as an admin. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks1

m^(2)

#30 Post by m^(2) »

No, there is not and probably never will be.
QEMU is your only choice.