MobaPhoto - photo manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnW

MobaPhoto - photo manager

#1 Post by JohnW »

- A portable toolbox for digital photography

MobaPhoto is a utility for managing your digital photos.
MobaPhoto allows you to resize, crop, correct red-eyes of all your pictures very easily in "batch-mode".
It allows you to create automatically photo galleries and upload them on your website without having any knowledge of website creation.

The Home Site clearly states that the program requires no installation and is a portable application which can start from an USB stick.

The program ( a single executable) can be downloaded via ...

Code: Select all

http://mobaphoto-en.mobatek.net/

Drutt

#2 Post by Drutt »

As far as I can tell, it creates:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mobatek
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mobatek\MobaPhoto
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mobatek\MobaPhoto\Params

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Buibuisoft
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Buibuisoft\BuibuiPhoto
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Buibuisoft\BuibuiPhoto\ShellExt

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.wid

Nice tool otherwise, includes a useful little gallery creator.

JohnW

#3 Post by JohnW »

@Drutt
I didn't RegShot this. So much for the Site statements!

Personally it wouldn't bother me as most Registry Cleaners remove these writes with no problems.

But others may not like the writes so thanks for the comment.

Mobatek

#4 Post by Mobatek »

Hello !

First of all, thank you very much for having tried our freeware MobaPhoto ! :D

We wanted the program to be portable in order to use it from our USB pen-drive, but we didn't know that a complete "portability" means that the program writes nothing into the registry, even in the user section.

This mistake is now corrected in the new version "1.38", thank you for pointing this out. If you want to try this new version before we release it officially, you can download it here: http://mobaphoto.mobatek.net/MobaPhoto- ... 38-RC3.zip . Of course, your suggestions are welcome as they will help us a lot in order to improve the program !

We also improved the gallery creation interface as this gallery creation function seems to be the most popular one. Please, don't hesitate to tell us your opinion about it. :wink:

Note that when MobaPhoto starts, it tests if a "MobaPhoto.mbp" file is present in the same directory and writes down its parameters into it. If no ".mbp" file is present, then MobaPhoto will write its parameters to the registry.

We really hope that you will enjoy MobaPhoto and that it will be included into the Portable Freeware collection one day !

Bye :o

Moba Team

Cornflower

#5 Post by Cornflower »

Hey, I might just try it out. I am impressed when a developer doesn't just drop off a program but watches and listens, and learns from the user base.

If you look through some of the moderators' comments here, you will find that there are verying levels of portability, and the closer you get to ideal (no registry, not a whole lot of DLLs and dependencies, the more the people around here like it and the more popular your offerings are.

Ciao!

Mobatek

#6 Post by Mobatek »

Thank you very much for your nice message Cornflower!

We took a look at the forum comments and our main goal for this new version was to conform strictly to a completely portable application as described here on portablefreeware.com. That's why MobaPhoto doesn't depend on any additional DLL file, it is only 1.3MB and now it doesn't write anything to the registry if you have this .mbp config file in the same directory, thanks to the useful remarks that we found in this post.

If you find anything else that we could change, please, don't hesitate to tell us: as we do not earn any money with our freewares, we strongly rely on the community for promoting our programs, as we can not pay for advertising.

So thank you very much, we worked hard on MobaPhoto and it makes us very proud to see that people use our programs, really.

Bye!

Moba Team

PS: Sorry for the English mistakes, we are not native English speakers. By the way, if you find any English mistakes in our software, we would be happy if you could tell us :wink: .

Mobatek

#7 Post by Mobatek »

Hello !

Here we are, we just released the new MobaPhoto version 1.40. A lot of changes have been made in this version, based on the suggestions we received by emails and on this forum: 3 new languages (Spanish, Korean and Arabic), a new gallery creation interface, several new galleries enhancement, a better picture selection and navigation, a lot of bugs corrected and some enhancements in loading photos.

If you want to download the fully portable version (no writing to registry), you can download it here: http://mobaphoto.mobatek.net/en/index.p ... &Itemid=55

We hope that you will enjoy it and that it will be included into the PortableFreeware collection !

Bye :o

MiDoJo

#8 Post by MiDoJo »

Seem good to me. :D

First Run asks you to set settings. All of the settings seem to save in the mdp file, which is readable in plain text. This file lists the current (probably the last run until program is run) drive location (i.e. e:\temploadpoint\Mobaphoto.exe) but this changes per computer (i.e. my drive locally is M but if I take it to another computer my drive is E) without asking for settings again. This is a good sign of portability; for contrast nirsoft programs which do leave reg entries ask you to agree to the license of every computer you use it on, this is not so with this program.

I don't have regshot currently so other members should test. But I give it thumbs up.

EDIT: Unsure why (though I think it's because I first ran it from my desktop) but the first run did create registry entries. I deleted the entries and ran the program (this time off my flash drive) and the were no reg entries made. mmm more tests to come.

Mobatek

#9 Post by Mobatek »

Hello MiDoJo,

In fact, if you use the portable version of MobaPhoto (in the download page, download the zip package), it won't add any registry entries, even at first run. It also won't show you the settings window, so perhaps did you change the filename of the executable or the .mbp file.
--> In fact, these 2 files must have the exact same name in order to be fully portable.

I hope this helps !
Bye

Checker

#10 Post by Checker »

Superb program - very good work!

Mobatek

#11 Post by Mobatek »

Thank you very much for your kind support :wink:

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

Hello !
The software looks nice and performes well !
Is there going to be an option to import pictures from digital cameras (and maybe with optional renaming based on exif data, or grouping pictures in folders based on exif date) ?
I could use a portable application that can do this.
Thank you !

Mobatek

#13 Post by Mobatek »

Hello,

Yes, this could be a good idea!

If your digital camera is seen as a standard USB hard drive, then MobaPhoto could for example autodetect if you have your camera plugged in and browse the camera folder.

The renaming based on Exif data is already implemented in the current version, but the grouping in folders based on Exif data could also be a great feature.

So thank you for your suggestions. We put them in our ToDo list :wink:

Bye

MiDoJo

#14 Post by MiDoJo »

Mobatek wrote:Hello MiDoJo,

In fact, if you use the portable version of MobaPhoto (in the download page, download the zip package), it won't add any registry entries, even at first run. It also won't show you the settings window, so perhaps did you change the filename of the executable or the .mbp file.
--> In fact, these 2 files must have the exact same name in order to be fully portable.

I hope this helps !
Bye
Oh I see, maybe because I ran it initially from the zip file and thus (because there was no mbp file in the temporary folder vista created for the single file exe) it created reg entries. None the less it's a very nice program with a nice setup. Thanks to Mobatek for caring enough to take part in the conversation; I like it when developers take part in bbs (never thought I would type bbs again) esp when it's a bb not even on their site.

Mobatek

#15 Post by Mobatek »

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that we just released a new version of MobaPhoto (1.42). Some languages were added and some little bugs corrected.

If you want to give it a try, you can download it from our website: http://mobaphoto-en.mobatek.net . For a fully portable version that does not write anything to the registry, choose the 3rd download link entitled "MobaPhoto v1.42 stand-alone (zip file / no registry writing for full portability)"

We hope that you will enjoy this new version!