KCeasy Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
saber

KCeasy Portable

#1 Post by saber »

The peer-to-peer software, KCeasy packaged to be portable so you can take it in your USB Flash Drive, iPod, etc. Connected to Ares, Gnutella and thanks to the giFT Project to OpenFT networks it's easier to share your files.

Download: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/kceasy ... .0.paf.exe

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

This is a bit of a gray area for portability. I just installed the program and can only connect to the OpenFT network, which immediately makes me think that I'd have to set up any router I'm using in order for the program to actually deliver everything it promises. Secondly, the configuration wizard asks you to specify your network speed. This is fine, but the idea of portable app'ing means the program shouldn't need to be reconfigured every time you intend to use it.

I'm aware that this is also true with uTorrent but uTorrent's very good about connecting properly regardless of port/router (unless the target router has strict restrictions regarding net access). But so far (5 minutes later) KCeasy Portable still can only connect to the OpenFT network, which I find to be quite unacceptable considering I'm only using 1/3 of the networks I'm supposed to have access to (and the least popular one at that).

malikorx69

#3 Post by malikorx69 »

If you want a P2P program that is truly Portable, use uTorrent. If you want LimeWire, check out http://portableapps.com/node/10554

With that portable version of LimeWire, you have to have the full version installed on your computer first. Download the latest version from http://www.limewire.com/download/ and install it. When you run the LimeWire Portable installer, it will automatically gather the files it needs from the regular version and compile them into a Portable directory. Voila, you have LimeWire Portable.

Fluffy

#4 Post by Fluffy »

Don't you still need JRE installed for the portable version to run? No good!

malikorx69

#5 Post by malikorx69 »

JRE is included with LimeWire. Not to mention the fact that 99.9% of computers already have JRE installed. JRE is used to run many programs, view webpages, etc. So if you don't have it, get it.

Kermode

#6 Post by Kermode »

malikorx69 wrote:. Not to mention the fact that 99.9% of computers already have JRE installed.
Or that is a number you just made up.

Ameri-CAIN

#7 Post by Ameri-CAIN »

Many Computers (I'm not going to try to make up a percentage.) have one or more versions of the .NET Framework installed as well, but TPFC doesn't let those in the database. By definition if there is a dependency on an installed item, its not portable on every computer. Other than Wine being installed on a Linux machine, it should run completely self contained from the directory from which it was launched. I do run a few .NET apps from my Thumbdrive. Other than needing the framework it runs self contained on my drive. Those apps are work related and version 2 of the .NET framework happens to be installed on the machines I need it on. It meets my needs so I do it. If you have JRE installed on the only machines you run Limewire from, if it makes you happy, do it. :lol:

malikorx69

#8 Post by malikorx69 »

I made up the 99.9% number. So what. But I can tell you from personal experience that literally every computer I've used has had JRE installed. Even when I work on a computer that came straight out of the box, it has JRE to run one program or another. If you're looking for a P2P File Sharing app that is portable and doesn't require Java, try eMule.

Queue

#9 Post by Queue »

Well, I can offer an equally valuable (that is to say, not very) personal experience that about half the computers I encounter have a JRE installed; I tend to deal with pseudo-powerusers, many of which strip their Windows install down, and a JRE is early on the list of things to axe. Those that do have the standard Sun JRE tend to not have it updated.

For the most part, the ones that don't have a JRE also shun .NET frameworks.

Personally, I have .NET 1.1 and 2.0, not 3, and no JRE.

Queue

steve0

#10 Post by steve0 »

Not bad!I don't use that yet!

spaztastic

#11 Post by spaztastic »

FrostWire is now portable as well. It is still in beta but here is the link:
http://portableapps.com/node/11822

The Java Portablizer can ber found here:
http://portableapps.com/support/openoff ... table#java