PDF-XChange Viewer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
teobromina

#16 Post by teobromina »

Kermode wrote:And people are going to keep posting it since it isn't in the database.

If you search for "PDF-XChange Viewer" all you get is "rejected application"

If its portable it should be in, i just tried it, and while the fonts are a bit small (in the menus) its much faster of rendering the document that foxitreader (and has a few extra features)
I totally agree with Kermode. I did it myself: :lol: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=2814

Sorry.

*JT.

ashghost

Not just a few extra features

#17 Post by ashghost »

I love it. Unlike Foxit Reader, adding annotations with the (horribly-named) PDF-XChange Viewer doesn't put an evaluation stamp on your pdf. It's also got a tabbed interface for viewing multiple documents at once. It even prints some documents the way I want (4 pages per sheet to save paper) where Foxit prints blank pages.

I found it last year, and the development has been progressing constantly in that time, including the release of this portable version last fall.

Kermode

#18 Post by Kermode »

I agree with you ashghost, its a terrible name!

If I'm going to reccomend this to someone I'm going to have to say "I know this great program, but I'm going to have to mail you when i get back, because I can't remember its name!" *g*

Kermode

#19 Post by Kermode »

Or there is a bug in virtuawin - which I don't use.

spillej

Portable PDF Viewer with Comment and Markup Tool.

#20 Post by spillej »

Download:
http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/

A free portable PDF Viewer (and Editor) at least you can use comment and markup tools and save it as PDF.

ashghost

PDF-XChange Viewer

#21 Post by ashghost »

This makes the fifth time it's been submitted, and each time it's gotten several positive comments (except the first, when there was no portable version yet).

It's still listed as "rejected", even though it no longer writes settings to the registry (checked with Sandboxie). It now writes settings to "Settings.dat" in the application folder.

It provides comments without a "Evaluation" stamp like Foxit does.

I still find Foxit to load a little faster, but which renderer I prefer depends on the document.

portackager

#22 Post by portackager »

Last time I checked Foxit Reader required a launcher for it to be truly portable.

Ah yes, Foxit Reader Portable, not the actual software. :wink:
Foxit Reader Portable is a portable wrapper for Foxit Reader that saves settings to an INI file instead of the Windows registry.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1041

joby_toss

Re: PDF-XChange Viewer - Portable v.1.0031 31 Dec, 2007

#23 Post by joby_toss »

It's kind of a shame that Tracker Software doesn't offer an official portable package also for the 64bit platform OS's, so here is a way to make your own:

1. download the official .exe installer (it contains both versions) from here;
2. extract using Universal Extractor;
3. everything you need is in "{app}\PDF Viewer" subfolder;
4. remove every file containing ",1" in its name and "Win32" folder;
5. remove every ",2" from the names of the remaining files;
6. create an empty "Portable.dat" file;
7. go 64 miles/hour! :)

Note: ignore the above quotation marks.

I am Baas

Re: PDF-XChange Viewer - Portable v.1.0031 31 Dec, 2007

#24 Post by I am Baas »

@joby_toss

You could also extract the files from the MSI Installer (64 bit) and follow steps 3 & 6 of your instructions.

jgermann

Re: PDF-XChange Viewer

#25 Post by jgermann »

Try as I may, I am unable to get OCR to work. Even though the write-up says that the portableapps version come bundled with OCR, the portableapps page indicates that you need to click on another link saying
"Help and OCR: Add a full PDF help file and optical character recognition with the PDF-XChange Viewer Portable Help and OCR add-on. (Last updated: 2014-11-29)"

So, I have downloaded both the program (PDF-XChangeViewerPortable_2.5.315.0.paf.exe) as well as the file PDF-XChange_Viewer_Portable_Help_and_OCR_2014-11-29.paf.exe and run them both.

Following the comments in the file @OCR.txt
"Check “Portable Version (OCR Lang Files) | 8 MB”
Click Download Now
Extract the folder inside “ocrdats” into the application directory"
the files are in the APP directory

STILL - OCR does not appear to work.

Can someone tell me what I need to do?

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

jgermann wrote:... the write-up says that the portableapps version come bundled with OCR, the portableapps page indicates that you need to click on another link
You're right that it's no longer bundled together. I've updated the entry.
jgermann wrote:Try as I may, I am unable to get OCR to work.
I'm a little hesitant to troubleshoot some other site's installation process since the non-PortableApps sequence is working just fine, but really the process is very simple. You just need to download the two files:
  • PDF-XChangeViewerPortable_[version].paf.exe
  • PDF-XChange_Viewer_Portable_Help_and_OCR_[version].paf.exe
... launching them one by one, and choose the same output directory (e.g. c:\temp\PDF-XChangeViewerPortable).

Finally, launch PDF-XChangeViewerPortable.exe. The OCR component should work fine.

jgermann

#27 Post by jgermann »

@webfork,

I had followed that process several times before, but I did it again. This time I got the OCR button highlighted (even though I had had that several times ago, but not recently....). Anyway I "OCR'd" a page but still could not highlight text to copy.

I hate to admit this but I finally noticed that I could turn on a "Select" tool which would let me highlight text - and - wonder of all wonders - would let me copy it.

As the great philosopher, Pogo, said "we have met the enemy, and he is us!"

Thanks

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

jgermann wrote:I hate to admit this but I finally noticed that I could turn on a "Select" tool which would let me highlight text - and - wonder of all wonders - would let me copy it.
No problem. Just glad it got worked out. PDF XChange is a great program and a great way to avoid Adobe Jackrobat.

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

Yeah there's a fairly clear warning message when you choose a pro function:

... but I might still add a little something to the entry about that.

webfork

#30 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about PDF XChange Editor were given their own thread.]