Process Lasso

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
m^(2)

Process Lasso

#1 Post by m^(2) »

Process Lasso applies user defined rules to running processes to improve system performance, responsiveness, and stability by temporarily restraining out-of-control processes, defaulting processes to specific priorities, and much more.
http://www.bitsum.com/prosuper.asp

zak_711

Process Lasso Portable 5.0.0.9 beta

#2 Post by zak_711 »

This beta is offered for free, but I wonder what is it for as you can reach the same result, as far as I know, with windows task manager.

http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso_portable.php

webfork

Re: s Portable 5.0.0.9 beta

#3 Post by webfork »

DTaskManager does something similar to what this program describes that I've so far had good experience with. However, there's no version out for Win7, and I have little doubt there are system and processor tweaks out there that could really speed up the system beyond what DTaskManager (which hasn't been updated in quite a while) can do.

There are several warm reviews around the net on this program. It reminds me a bit of NetLimiter, but for the processor, making sure that all programs have access to a computer's bandwidth, but can't slow everything else down while they do.

zak_711

Re: Process Lasso Portable 5.0.0.9 beta

#4 Post by zak_711 »

It should do a progressive balance, but probably you need a pro version installed.
Moreover it is portable like ausdiskdefrag ( AppData folder and reg entry ) or something like that ( to portability ). In fact I don' t use the portable launcher; wasting time! However this is the report:
http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx ... 9f58c7749d

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

zak_711 wrote:However this is the report
No clue what you're talking about here.

zak_711

#6 Post by zak_711 »

I was referring to portability: it create a folder in %AppData% and writes to the registry.
However the program is in %Temp%\RarSFX0 ( like ausdiskdefrag ); so I unzip ProcessLasso_Portable ( or ausdiskdefragportable ) and I find the same files that is in RarSFX0; then I use ProcessLasso.exe ( or Diskdefrag.exe ). The only difference is that the program has not to use %Temp% folder to extract itself; moreover you can delete ( or add ) the language file you don't use. As, anyway, it uses %AppData% and writes to the registry, you can avoid wasting time and resources using the main file ( "launcher" on my opinion: ProcessLasso_Portable ( or ausdiskdefragportable ) ).

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

zak_711 wrote:I was referring to portability: it create a folder in %AppData% and writes to the registry.
Still confused. Why did you link to threatexpert?
zak_711 wrote:However the program is in %Temp%\RarSFX0 ( like ausdiskdefrag ); so I unzip ProcessLasso_Portable ( or ausdiskdefragportable ) and I find the same files that is in RarSFX0; then I use ProcessLasso.exe ( or Diskdefrag.exe ). The only difference is that the program has not to use %Temp% folder to extract itself; moreover you can delete ( or add ) the language file you don't use. As, anyway, it uses %AppData% and writes to the registry, you can avoid wasting time and resources using the main file ( "launcher" on my opinion: ProcessLasso_Portable ( or ausdiskdefragportable ) ).
No clue what you're talking about here either.

zak_711

#8 Post by zak_711 »

I link to ThreatExpert because it generally skip me to use sandboxes or regshot or other reg or file monitor.
It's a quick way to test the portability degree.
( I don't use Pstools products. )
I also use camas, anubis, sunbelt.

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

I don't think ThreatExpert should be used for testing Portability of an application which is clearly not a virus. I think its unfair to overload the site for the sake of finding out what files/regkeys are written, especially as the service is FREE to use.

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:I don't think ThreatExpert should be used for testing Portability of an application which is clearly not a virus. I think its unfair to overload the site for the sake of finding out what files/regkeys are written, especially as the service is FREE to use.
It's also a sandbox analyzer, but I would not use this service to test for portability either.

zak_711

#11 Post by zak_711 »

What do you use?
( I will not notice you what is written above comments panel; anyway every hash search on VT led me to a report ( already analized! ) in database; moreover VT often refers to ThreatExpert; if I was you I would think about that; if you go on the home page of ThreatExpert you can see how many products of Pstools are exposed; unfair ?; anyway you can use camas, anubis, sunbelt if you think it's better, or regshot, jv16, regprot, various file monitor , sandboxes and so on ... ).
A false portable is like a virus because you don't know what it does ( like MVregdefrag 6.0 ).
If you look at my post about DirectTransFile you will see why I use ThreatExpert ( and VT! ).
I think many people could appreciate ( skipping problems and troubleshooting ).
Last edited by zak_711 on Thu May 26, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

In response to what I use, I use System Explorer and VirtualBox.

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

@zak_711

You should not use Web-based sandbox analyzer to test applications for portability, simply because testing requires human interaction and online scanners are unattended.

zak_711

#14 Post by zak_711 »

OK, may be you are right, but TE is like VT; all you have to do is copy the MD5 after the query on any report.
Ergo ...
I think people think it twice before run a program!
And when you think something to ensure your security you can bet that someone has already done it.
About TE, it always run the app in C:\ without a custom folder, so the report could tell you there is a new driver f.e. in System32, but it is not; I found this web service more than reliable, ( the only good product of Pstools, on my opinion ).
I presume it's faster to paste an MD5 than using all our stuff!

zak_711

Re: Process Lasso Portable 5.0.0.29

#15 Post by zak_711 »

Update 16/06/11: Process Lasso "Portable" 5.0.0.29 ; no more beta; however it's not stealth;
http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso_portable.php
Last edited by zak_711 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.