Forkle - Tiny Secure Web Browser (ß) [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
__philippe

Re: Forkle - Tiny Secure Web Browser (ß)

#16 Post by __philippe »

Hear, hear... :wink:

__philippe

#17 Post by __philippe »

Latest Forkle release v0.65.0.597 (current built 2019-04-06)

Somewhat "revamped" (?) start page:

BTW,
if you ever were so slightly annoyed by the preliminary check preventing Forkle execution
unless all the latest and greatest Win security patches (upon patches... :roll: ) were dutifully installed,
...fret no more:

Forkle recent releases obligingly relax the restriction, by admitting this ad-hoc entry into misc.ini: 8)

Code: Select all

DisablePatchLevelChecks = 1
Hack so far undocumented, but dutiffully vouched for by the developer, after only gentle prodding...;-)

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

Forkle v0.67.0.651 released today, according to https://www.radsix.com/checksums.txt...

bitcoin

#19 Post by bitcoin »

interesting

i would want tabs myself but the idea that you have to whitelist any domains ahead of time is interesting if it could be done quickly and easily

also needs forward, back and reload buttons

is this based on anything like chrome or firefox engine?

smaragdus

Re: Forkle

#20 Post by smaragdus »

Back to stone age with a quasi-browser which uses Trident engine (Internet Explorer) and tells me that I should install updates in order to use it:

in one word- junk.

__philippe

#21 Post by __philippe »

bitcoin wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:27 am ...also needs forward, back and reload buttons...
"Ask, and it will be given to You; Seek and Your Needs will be fulfilled" (Matthew 7:7)... :wink:

Code: Select all

Alt + LeftArrow		Back
Alt + RightArrow	Forward
ESC			Stop
F5			Refresh
Forkle Keyboard Shortcuts summary

Midas

#22 Post by Midas »

FYI, dilligent old _philippe has already shown how to disable the system update check a couple of posts back (viewtopic.php?p=93010#p93010).

And diversity always welcome by me, no matter the quadrant it spawns from -- especially when one brand is reaching almost absolute dominance...

Chrome is turning into the new Internet Explorer 6

Google sabotaged Firefox to boost Chrome

Is Chrome on its Way to be ONLY Browser out there?

For those who might be missing tabs, heed the dev tip another few posts back:
svenfaw wrote: Also, Forkle has no tabs, but there's a feature that you might not be aware of (as it's still undocumented): hold shift while clicking a link to open it in a new window.

Let's just assume that Forkle is more geared toward the keyboard warriors out there. :mrgreen:

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 am And diversity always welcome by me, no matter the quadrant it spawns from -- especially when one brand is reaching almost absolute dominance...
Agree completely. While I advocate for Mozilla whenever I can, Firefox being the ONLY alternative to a Chrome-based toolset is a serious problem. I'm expecting that Apple won't do anything with Safari so I expect there's plenty of room for a lightweight, low-power usage, and privacy-friendly browser offering.

__philippe

#24 Post by __philippe »

Forkle current version 0.67.0.692 released 17-JUN-2019

Home Page and "Quick Start" keyboard shortcuts summary slightly amended

Commendably sustained development work going on relentlessly... 8)
...yet missing any kind of changelog, deplorably... :roll:

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

Forkle v0.69.0.747 Beta released 2019-08-26 ( (no changelog; current version and checksum info at https://www.radsix.com/checksums.txt).

Missing the ability to copy any windows content with the context menu... (or even with the CTRL+C Windows global shortcut). I've had to use Textify to be able to... :|

flatfly

#26 Post by flatfly »

Midas wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:21 am Forkle v0.69.0.747 Beta released 2019-08-26 ( (no changelog; current version and checksum info at https://www.radsix.com/checksums.txt).

Missing the ability to copy any windows content with the context menu... (or even with the CTRL+C Windows global shortcut). I've had to use Textify to be able to... :|
CTRL+C works for me... Or is there a specific website where you have encountered the issue?

Midas

#27 Post by Midas »

Yes, I managed to do it later. Might have been an interference from some other program... :?

Midas

#28 Post by Midas »

Forkle v0.76.0.4 Beta released 2019-11-17 ( (no changelog; current version and checksum info at https://www.radsix.com/checksums.txt).

Blurb update:

Forkle is probably the simplest web browser for Windows. Its feature set is intentionally limited, to minimize both distractions and attack vectors. Forkle has no extensions, no tabs, no toolbars, and no bookmark manager. It is still in beta. Even its name could still change. [...] Security is also a top focus in Forkle, with features including TLD whitelisting, HTTPS-only navigation, process isolation, homoglyph detection and patch-level checking. With a binary size under 2MB, Forkle is extremely lightweight, making it ideal for quick, casual web browsing. It is also an excellent match for USB thumbdrives and resource-limited systems.

flatfly

#29 Post by flatfly »

It's got an updated start page and context menu.
RAM usage seems to be lower too (about 4.5MB for a new window on my system)
Still missing a changelog though.

Midas

#30 Post by Midas »

Forkle v0.83.0.308 released 2020-02-01 (no changelog).

Download link broken from my side -- only yields a 0 Byte zip.