Dead forum (split from Biniware Run)

Any other tech-related topics
smaragdus

Dead forum (split from Biniware Run)

#1 Post by smaragdus »

[Moderator note: this thread was split from the Biniware Run [DotNET launcher] thread because it was about member frustrations and not relevant to the topic.]

---

@Midas
Midas wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:54 amNice. 8)
What is the point of this meaningless post? Such posts by moderators cannot conceal the fact that the forum is dead.

Midas

Re: Biniware Run

#2 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:
Midas wrote: Nice. 8)
What is the point of this meaningless post?
Aren't you the one constantly riling against censorship? What's with the policing of my simple statement of appreciation? I don't post anything I don't mean.

If you wanna know, I was going to ad that I prefer launchbars to menueing systems, but then reconsidered, as that would be somewhat OT...

smaragdus wrote: Such posts by moderators cannot conceal the fact that the forum is dead.
I get your disappointment, I been wishing the forum was more active, too.

I take part of the blame, since I haven't been posting as often as I used to, but IRL got me stuck. I'm aging, too, and haven't gotten any wealthier, much to the contrary, so I have to toil harder.

But no, TPFC isn't dead, even if there's only crickets in the forums, rest assured.

Computing is changing, everyone is going mobile, PC sales have slumped, and the Windows 10 user nightmare doesn't help, but as long as people have to work in MS environments, TPFC won't die. Trust me on this one. :|

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:14 pm Such posts by moderators cannot conceal the fact that the forum is dead.
We are definitely down on overall forum activity but we still have good site visitation numbers and, at least for me, portable software is solving problems on a daily basis. Once it stops making my life easier, I'll certainly move on.

As to this program, I tested it and unfortunately had some kind of error on Win10. I was going to try and retest in the week ahead.

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@billon
I was not asking you but Midas. Or you have founded a moderators' party? Your post quenched the faint enthusiasm I still had to publish content here. I have already stopped posting at the comments section after Andrew Lee ruined it. I will stop posting in the forum too since it is a waste of time. When I publish a review I do not need any appreciation. I expect either no comments or relevant comments. I consider single word posts like 'Good', 'Nice', 'Great', Excellent', 'Thanks', etc irrelevant as they do not contribute to the discussion at all. As a precaution against such meaningless posts some forums do not allow such short comments. I also do not expect to be called bratushka (here) and comrade (here)- until now I was keeping silent about this nonsense because I don't have time to waste but I will not tolerate this any more. When I post a review I try to keep the quality high (testing the reviewed program, taking screenshots and uploading them, generating hashes, checking links, building lists of similar programs, etc) but this is a waste of time as here in the forum quality no longer matters- after the good posters (in alphabetical order- I am Baas, joby_toss, lautrepay, etc) left the forum the quality of the posts is mediocre at best- Midas and webfork keep pushing untested software, commercial software, Electron software, in most cases they don't even bother to take their own screenshots, their posts are often inconsistent. I no longer want to be part of such unhealthy environment. Your post was the straw that broke the camel's back. Thank you very much.

@Special
In my review I published a link to the forum. Your post is just another example that the meaningless posts are prevalent in this forum.

@Midas
What censorship and policing are you talking about? I just asked a question. I did not understand what was nice- the weather, the moon or something else. Perhaps you are trying to catch up with webfork's posting record? I have had enough of such trash. So thank you too- the moderators (billon and Midas) became my liberators- I have a huge list of programs to review in the future but I will not do that- the moderators managed to exhaust the remnants of my zeal. Being called bratushka and comrade also helped a lot. Thank you very much.

@Andrew Lee
Please delete my account and all my posts.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Well, that sure escalated quickly.

Let me state clearly that I do not want to see you go, smaragdus.

I really appreciate the work you have been doing here and I'm sure everyone agrees with me on that aspect.

While I strive to abide by community rules, I talk only for my myself.

If you think you can do a better job at moderating TPFC, I'll be glad to relinquish the post.

Otherwise, I regard the whole issue as an excuse to excuse yourself from a commitment that has grown burdensome over time, while bashing others for not standing up to task.

Have a happy new year -- and, should that be the case, a happier life away from TPFC. :|

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Please delete my account and all my posts.
You've put hundreds of hours of great work into the site, making that disappear would disable a lot of very valuable, well-research tools and resources. I hope you change your mind about their removal.

JohnW

#7 Post by JohnW »

A total disaster!
..and all because of one ridiculous post from Midas.
If smaragdus reads this --thanks for all your contributions

billon

#8 Post by billon »

I have no words
Everything that is just ridiculous
I will delete my post

__philippe

#9 Post by __philippe »

Doctor's diagnosis over curent commotion :
Forum Prima Donna benign cyclothymic tantrum

Doctor's prescription :
Leave patient undisturbed for a couple of days

Doctor's prognosis :
Current agitation will soon subside, patient full recovery to prolific review posting schedule most likely... :wink:

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

__philippe wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:35 am Doctor's diagnosis
The truth is we've had a lot of intense and opinionated people over the last decade and we need them. They take up the mantle of what is kind of a strange, often thankless project. It's worth the trouble: the programs we highlight by very smart devs get the word out to thousands of people and make people's work on computers less crappy. The rest of the web as I see it right now does this VERY poorly. Most posts I see are barely transparent article-as-sales-pitch posts and paid reviews.

Smaraguds in particular has done exemplary work over the years with terrifically complete posts about OSS and freeware that rival 95% of software home pages for detail and background. It's not just TPFC: Smaragdus' work on github has also been very solid, helping developers with suggestions and feedback. Several programs I use on a daily basis are better because of his efforts.

I very much disagree with any suggestion that Midas is doing a poor job as moderator but I share some of smaragdus' frustrations with the site and his criticisms of my work are valid. We've had a number of conversations about it over the past year but I wasn't able to address some of his fundamental concerns. I'm sad to see him go.

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

@smaragdus: I believe we have the same outllook on this issue. Unfortunately, the world is made up as many different working styles as there are people. So in the end, I choose to focus on my work, and let the others speak for theirs. I am sure in the end quality will speak for itself.

Cheers.