I've somewhat extended my naive Ding-Press.
As before, if used there, it quickly:
- decompresses .7z, .rar and .zip files
- compresses folders and other files.
The shortcut (or shortcuts) for Ding-Press if added to the SendTo menu can take command-line arguments for
compression-level (1 - 9) (eg. CL6), password (0 - 99) (eg. PW12) and self-extraction (ie. SFX).
For example, if the target of the shortcut there were
C:\Portable\Ding-Press\Ding-Press.exe CL7 PW8 SFX
, it should then, when used, compress a file/folder into a self-extracting archive using level7-compression encrypted
Also, if an archive (7z, rar and zip) ending with -pw(No) (eg. archive-pw11.7z) is used with the SendTo shortcut,
then password(No) will automatically be used with the decompression.
Another command-line argument can be used with a SendTo-menu shortcut: this specifies an output folder for
compression and decompression (eg. OP"C:\Output").
Note that, if used, this argument MUST be placed last and the path MUST be in quotes if it contains spaces.
For example, if the target of the shortcut in the SendTo menu were
C:\Portable\Ding-Press\Ding-Press.exe CL7 PW8 SFX OP"C:\Output"
, it should then, when used, compress a file/folder into a self-extracting archive with level7-compression encrypted
with password8 and with the output going to C:\Output.
The main change is that 7zG.exe is used instead of 7z.exe. This is so that, when compressing or decompressing,
a GUI window appears displaying a progress-bar.
The 7-Zip components were updated to the latest (19.00) version.
Files with .txt extension used to be compressed with PPMd and the others with LZMA2 but, as I am unconvinced of any
practical benefit, I have simplified the compression: all files are compressed with LZMA2.
Also, I removed the -r switch as I found that it serves no useful purpose here.
The restart program was removed as I realised it is unnecessary.
- As before, passwords are in "plain sight" (unencrypted) in the ini.txt.
- In v1.53, the example passwords were changed as the quote characters (" and ')
seemed to be problematic when used with a self-extracting archive.
- In v1.54, a slight change was made to the way a directory is archived.
As always, this program is ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT WARRANTY.
This thread is in the "Portable Freeware Submission" forum after being broken off from its previous place.
However, Ding-Press is not really a "submission" as it has not been submitted to the private database: it is merely a hobbyist
effort but, if just a few people were to admit to using it, I would add it there.