WizFile

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Special

Re: WizFile

#16 Post by Special »

It keeps getting better and better, the "Minimize to tray when closed" option added (on by default)" was one of the gripes I had with it, but now no more. Thanks Dev!

Now I just hope they can eliminate the need to evoke "schtasks.exe" for those who don't have it starting up with Windows, and perhaps better multi-monitor support, I've found that the window sizes don't save and open properly on a second or third monitor, but no issues when it's on the primary monitor.

smaragdus

Re: WizFile 1.06

#17 Post by smaragdus »

WizFile at version 1.06, changes:
  • Donate button would not disappear the first time after entering in a supporter code (required PC to be restarted) - fixed.

Special

#18 Post by Special »

Since I know the developer reads here, I'd like to request a minor feature if possible, can we have clicking on file location open the location instead of the file, but clicking file opens the file (currently as is.)

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Special wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 am... can we have clicking on file location open the location instead of the file, but clicking file opens the file (currently as is.)
That's a really good idea that could be applied to many programs.

Special

#20 Post by Special »

I think this is how "Everything" works.

smaragdus

#21 Post by smaragdus »

@Special

As a workaround you can use this:

"right click" on item - "Explore Folder" shell command.

I have requested a simple new feature - an option to "clear search on minimize/close" but it was not implemented so I refrain from asking for new features.

Special

#22 Post by Special »

WizFile 2.0 is out and it looks like he liked my suggestion from above, or just a coincidence...

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

Third party reviews are quite positive... 8)

smaragdus

Re: WizFile 2.01

#24 Post by smaragdus »

WizFile at version 2.01, recent changes:

WizFile 2.00 (8 June 2018)
  • Non NTFS drives now supported (will not be selected by default - select them via the "Select Drives..." option)
  • Individual folders/network shares can now be added to the search. Add a folder or network share by selecting "Select Drives..." then "Add folder".
    To add a network share either select it or type in the share name, (e.g. \\servername\sharename) when browsing for a folder to add.
    Note that high speed scanning is only available on NTFS drives - other drive types and folders will be scanned using the regular Windows method.
  • User defined filters now supported. Default filters for ALL, Audio, Video, Images, Compressed, Documents and Executables added.
    Configure filters via the "Filters..." option
  • Double clicking on the "path" will now open an explorer window (same as selecting "Explore Folder" from right click menu)
  • Double clicking on the "path" while holding the ALT key will open a command prompt window at the file's location (same as selecting "Command Prompt Here" from right click menu)
    Double clicking on any other column will open the file using the default Windows method
  • Click on a file name, pause, then click on it again to rename it (or just press F2)
  • "Monitor folder changes" option added (default off). If enabled, WizFile will keep folder sizes updated with any changes that occur within them. If enabled it will cause higher CPU usage when file system is very busy.
  • High DPI support (WizFile fully supports scaling on Windows 10)
  • Searches that include folder names or partial folder names now much faster
  • Background file monitoring improved (folder move operations now detected and processed correctly)
  • On screen results affected by file changes now update with greatly reduced CPU usage
  • Changing "selected drives" while a scan is in progress now works correctly (would not rescan previously)
WizFile 2.01 (10 June 2018)
  • File count display might be incorrect if "refresh" used repeatedly very quickly (fixed)
The resource usage has been significantly curbed down- after the initial scanning is done the memory usage in not that high as it used to be in the earlier versions.

antibody

#25 Post by antibody »

Hi guys - I'm the author of WizFile. Thanks for all the suggestions - I included quite a few of them in the latest version. :)

I've added WizFile to the index:
https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2965

Please vote for it if you like it. Thanks!

PS: I do check this site every now and then so if you have any suggestions please post them here. I can't promise I'll add everything you want but I'll consider all your ideas.

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

antibody wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:39 am Please vote for it if you like it. Thanks!
So first I appreciate your work on the program, your availability to making your program portable, and the fact that you're listening to users here on the site. However, I just want to ask about something that's come up at least 10x here on the site: program authors consistently add a program to the database in a way that doesn't look like any of the other entries. Are you just copying over text that you had handy?

It's no biggie, I'll run a cleanup to fit with our system, I'm just curious.

antibody

#27 Post by antibody »

webfork wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:05 pm
antibody wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:39 am Please vote for it if you like it. Thanks!
So first I appreciate your work on the program, your availability to making your program portable, and the fact that you're listening to users here on the site. However, I just want to ask about something that's come up at least 10x here on the site: program authors consistently add a program to the database in a way that doesn't look like any of the other entries. Are you just copying over text that you had handy?

It's no biggie, I'll run a cleanup to fit with our system, I'm just curious.
That's interesting - what's different about it to the other entries? I did copy/paste some stuff but most of it was just me writing about features I thought would be most useful to portable application users.

smaragdus

#28 Post by smaragdus »

@antibody

Thanks for adding WizFile to the database, in fact it was in my submission list so I voted but it still needs some more points to become public entry.

I am not insisting yet I would still like to see an option to clear search on minimize/close.

antibody

#29 Post by antibody »

smaragdus wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:07 pm @antibody

Thanks for adding WizFile to the database, in fact it was in my submission list so I voted but it still needs some more points to become public entry.

I am not insisting yet I would still like to see an option to clear search on minimize/close.
Thanks and noted. ;)

smaragdus

Re: WizFile 2.02

#30 Post by smaragdus »

WizFile at version 2.02, recent changes:
WizFile 2.02 (20 June 2018)
  • reduced memory use by around 45%
  • Clicking "Clear" will now clear results when even if a non empty custom filter is active
  • New "Clear search when minimized" option added (enabled by default). If enabled, minimizing the window will automatically clear the search results (as if "clear" was clicked)
    (This reduces memory and CPU use to the absolute minimum when WizFile is running in the background)
  • Tray icon would not appear if WizFile configured to start with Windows
@antibody
Thank you for adding "Clear search when minimized" option!
I updated the database entry.